PDA

View Full Version : Why has my hair gone from wavy /curls to none??

Primrose
March 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have very fine thin,flat hair with no waves or curls .Is ther any natural way in getting more body to my hair and for it to stay that way with out braiding it .In my teens yrs i had very nice wavy and curly hair but now in my 20's is got flat with no waves or curls .Wondering why my hairs changed like that and any ideas to get that back or will the waves n curls be gone forever??When i do braid my hair the curls will stay in for about 4 days so it does curls easy.In the summer it does seem to get a little bit wavy .Are ther any shampoos or hair products to help get my wavy curly hair back to what it was in my teen years .Also i have had scalp psoriasis for yrs.Could this be the reason for thinner hair.What do i do for this ? ?Thanks to all who reply nicely :)

rhysiana
March 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hi Primrose! Could you tell us what you currently do for your hair? That might help people give you better answers.

Primrose
March 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hi Primrose! Could you tell us what you currently do for your hair? That might help people give you better answers.
I'm sooon to be 26 and my hairs changed from being wavy /curls to flat no waves ever since i got into my 20's I did bleach it by spraying peroxide on it last summer and have had it dyed only two times in my life which was also last yr but my hairs have had lost the waviness before i had ever had these things done .Currently i i;m just washing it with regular shampoo with some added herbs like cinnamon, rosemary ,sage,.I do also braid it some now to add more body to it

rosie91
March 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
i have a friend who had straight hair until she was 14/15 and its been curly since then. maybe things just happen like that?

Addy
March 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The peroxide and color may have been too damaging to your fine hair and maybe could have pulled your curls out. <I'm just guessing but could be a possibility>

spidermom
March 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
My hair used to be straight and flat when I was young, but it got curly. My hair was also straight and flat in Italy but never here. Hair can be weird.

RancheroTheBee
March 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
:shrug: Sometimes, hair just changes over time. I went from having straight white hair, to curly and dark blonde, to wavy and reddish. I can't think of a lot of people who have the same hairtype their whole lives.

Then again, peroxide might mess up your hair shaft a little.

LutraLutra
March 4th, 2009, 01:40 PM
My hair used to be straight and flat when I was young, but it got curly. whereas my hair went through a very wavy, almost curly stage in my teens. I agree, it's very odd.

Addy
March 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, my hair was thin and bone straight up until I had it bush whacked and it got really curly imo and super thick but hey... I ain't complaining! :D

Anje
March 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hmmm.. Do you use conditioner on your hair? Does it feel dry? Lots of wavy and curly hair needs moisture to take shape.

Honey39
March 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
My hair got very curly as I got older!!

Hmmm - my hair loves moisture and conditioner to curl; it doesn't hold it's curl for days, I have to wet and scrunch each day to get the best curls. Have you tried curl creams? Boots does a very good one (and it's cheap) - but only if you're in the UK.

Rohele
March 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I have heard that hair supposed changes every 7 years or so. I had several friends say they noticed a change in their 20s. Mine hasn't followed a particular timetable but has become more curly as I've aged.

It would be worth looking into giving it more moisture if it seems dry (as several other posters mentioned) - sometimes more conditioning seems to bring waves out, although if you have fine thin hair you probably need to be careful about now weighing it down too much with a heavy conditioner.

Jeep Girl
March 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Just me chiming in with my 2 cents worth... My hair was straight and limp until I turned 30ish.

Has this been a gradual change or more of an overnight kind of a thing? I have been going through a really bad dry tangly stretch the past couple of weeks and broke down and started using 'coney products again. Now my waves/curles are limp, lifeless and stringy. It's tangle-free but it looks like blechhhh. Maybe it's the products you are using? My hair is really sensitive to moisture. Too little - tangle city, too much - the limp greasies. Everyday I feel like I'm walking the hair tightrope.

earthdancer
March 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
My hair changed every time I got pregnant (wavy/straight/wavy).

PurpleAshes
March 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Maybe it's damage? Some parts of my hair stopped curling because of flat iron/blowdryer damage.

Curlsgirl
March 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
My hair got very curly as I got older!!

Hmmm - my hair loves moisture and conditioner to curl; it doesn't hold it's curl for days, I have to wet and scrunch each day to get the best curls. Have you tried curl creams? Boots does a very good one (and it's cheap) - but only if you're in the UK.

Yes, Boot's is great and you can also order it from the Brit Super Store for not that much. I ordered three jars and they will last forever. I think it was like $25 including shipping.

Speedbump
March 4th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hormones play a huge role in how one's hair looks and behaves. They affect everything from thickness to color to amount of curl. I used to have true blond wavy hair and when I hit puberty, it turned brown and very curly. Then it got lighter again but stayed curly as I left my teens and went into my 20s. Women often experience massive hair changes with hormonal shifts like puberty, pregnancy, thyroid problems and menopause. So yep: Hormones. :twocents: