PDA

View Full Version : Cones in CO washing?

liseling
March 4th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I hear a lot of people around here saying that they use Suave naturals or white rain conditioner to do their CO, but I was checking the ingredients of some random examples of these and they have what appear to be cones in them. The two that came up in each case were Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone. Are those cones?

The two examples I remember finding them in were Suave naturals Milk and Honey and White rain Freesia Spirit Hydrating. There were a few more of each kind that had the same cones, but cant remember which ones.

Is this a case, maybe, where only a few of each product line have cones and ones that do not are used for CO washing? Or do you use the ones with cones for CO washing anyway? If so, how does that work for you?

Or is this a case where I'm just confusing myself and Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are not even cones? :confused:

Noctifer
March 4th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Not sure but i dont think that that is cones. It exist some stuf that sounds like cones but isnt that.

Thow we dont have those brands over here so im not to sure

Naava
March 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Quick look with google told me that Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are perservatives, not cones :)

Edit. This same thing was mentioned in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21312

cobblersmaid
March 4th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Some people do use cone conditioners for CO. It wouldn't work for me, but you could try it.

liseling
March 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Anyone who's used cone conditioners for CO? How does that work? Dont you have to shampoo at some point?

canary4624
March 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I use a cone-free conditioner for CO, and then follow with a heavier coney one for conditioning. I'll even occasionally use a coney serum for styling. I clarify every 3 or 4 weeks, whenever my scalp hair starts to look dull, but this may be due to dry sebum buildup rather than cones. They just don't seem to build up on me, but I've never gone more than 4 weeks without clarifying, so maybe it would happen eventually :shrug:

GlassEyes
March 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I've used cone conditioners off and on for CO.

It depends on the brand (and more specifically, the type of cone), but yes, you will have to use a sulfate shampoo from time to time to clarify. I don't like using them as much as cone-free.

Buddaphlyy
March 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I use a coney conditioner for co washing. I actually find my hair is WORSE if I use a cone free version. It really depends on your hair though. It would take me about a month of daily cone co washing for my hair to notice any effects of buildup.

AJoifulNoise
March 4th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I use silicone conditioners for CO. But, I also shampoo once a week with sulphates to make sure I don't get build up. So long as you periodically clarify, CO with silicones is fine (if, of course, your hair agrees with silicones). How often you need to clarify is something you have to experiment to discover. I do it weekly because I also have an oily scalp... So, I take care of both at once.

canary4624
March 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM
One other thing--a while back I was curious about whether I was getting buildup, even if I couldn't feel it, so I used a microscope to look at a hair after ~3 weeks of coney CO, and one after a clarifying shampoo. On both I saw the cuticles equally clearly, and no sign of any coating, no difference between them. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it made me feel better :p

liseling
March 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM
One other thing--a while back I was curious about whether I was getting buildup, even if I couldn't feel it, so I used a microscope to look at a hair after ~3 weeks of coney CO, and one after a clarifying shampoo. On both I saw the cuticles equally clearly, and no sign of any coating, no difference between them. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it made me feel better :p

Oh, that's really interesting! I wish I could get my hands on a microscope. Back in the day when I was doing my Biology major I could have used one whenever I wanted, but then I hadnt yet become interested in hair.

I wonder if the cone coating would be something that you could see, or just a coating of chemicals that made the hair act differently...?