PDA

View Full Version : S&D With Even Hemline/Ends?

Maelyssa
March 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
I haven't done the Search & Destroy method but after noticing a few randomly placed splits today I'm considering trying it but I have an even hemline & am growing out old layers.
Eventually I'd like it to all be one length.

I was wondering if it's still a good idea to do a S&D considering this.

Does anyone with an evenly cut hemline & no layers or layers they are growing out do the S&D method & if you do how often?
I'm worried I may do it too much.

Thanks!!!

korinstuff
March 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
I think as long as you keep the snipping to a very minimum, it won't affect your hemline. Just a few shorter hairs here and there won't be noticeable. Just don't get too wild and you should be fine. :D

spidermom
March 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
If the hem gets ragged, you can get somebody to even it out for you. My hair has been trimmed many times in the distant past. During the last 7 months I have done S&D only. So far so good.

JamieLeigh
March 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I keep an even hemline (although I haven't trimmed in almost 4 months now), and I S&D with no problem. It hasn't affected the shape of my hemline in the slightest. And the better care I have been taking of my hair, the fewer splits I am finding with each S&D. :)

Anje
March 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'm working on the even hemline (let it grow without trims, and the hem's a bit thin), and I still S&D occasionally. Like others have said, it shouldn't really affect your hemline, because you're just snipping a few hairs here and there. Besides, I have few if any splits along the hemline -- they're all up in the length catching up with the longest hairs, so I'm not removing the hair from the hemline, just shortening ones that aren't there anyway by a few day's worth of growth.

ETA: Besides, no one's hair is really all one length anyway (at least after the first few years of childhood, or on a fresh-shaved head). All the hairs are out of sync with their growth cycles, so there are always follicles starting a new hair that will take however many years to reach the hemline.

Sissy
March 6th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I aim for an even hemline and I still S&D. If I didn't my hemline would end up more uneven in the long run I would think as the splits and breakage would eventually split higher and break off more. It's best to catch the damage early and S&D it myself I would think.

frizzinator
March 6th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I have an even hemline without layers; however, since my fine hair breaks easily, I have some shorter hairs, and it is the shorter hairs that split. I have had an even hemline for most of the 30 years I've been doing S & D. I do it once or twice a month. I don't think S & D has anything to do with the hemline, since I never find split hairs in my hemline.

vindo
March 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I haven't done the Search & Destroy method but after noticing a few randomly placed splits today I'm considering trying it but I have an even hemline & am growing out old layers.
Eventually I'd like it to all be one length.

I was wondering if it's still a good idea to do a S&D considering this.

Does anyone with an evenly cut hemline & no layers or layers they are growing out do the S&D method & if you do how often?
I'm worried I may do it too much.

Thanks!!!

I do an it does not affect your hemline, that is a popular misconception.

If you snip off splits you will remove about 0.04"only, that is too little to show. If you have to remove breakage higher up, see it like that - in a while it would break off at that spot anyway..at least like this you have a clean cut. :)

spidermom
March 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I have to agree with others - I rarely find a problem at the bottom of my hem. It is usually on a shorter hair. I think that getting into tangles and being pulled/combed apart is what causes most splits, especially when the hair has been damaged by heat styling, chemicals, rough handling, and so forth.