PDA

View Full Version : Hair style issues

Jules diamond
March 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Namely, I don't have one. I tried at the beginning of the school year to give myself a version of the hime cut, but with layers. Unfortunately it didn't really work out and it looks almost exactly the same. I let it grow after that and haven't cut it since. It's now about BSL in the back and almost shoulder legnth where it was cut.
As I said above, the cut doesn't work for me. It does nothing for my face shape either. I had a consult and apparently I've got forward growing hair. She reccomended getting layers. But I can't seem to find a style that'd work for me.

So I'm turning it over to The LHCers. Can you guys give me some help and sage advice?

HairColoredHair
March 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
... what on EARTH is forward growing hair?

Is that like a cowlick? Or... something?

I don't get it.

Akiko
March 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I think my husband has forward growing hair! His hair at the temples grows forward toward his face.

Do you think you can just let all of your hair grow without bangs or layers?

Jules diamond
March 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
I think she means it grows into my face. And I guess it does. Not flattering.

Jules diamond
March 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
I think my husband has forward growing hair! His hair at the temples grows forward toward his face.

Do you think you can just let all of your hair grow without bangs or layers?

I can't really, because it's wavy and decently thick, so it just looks bulky otherwise.

Akiko
March 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
I can't really, because it's wavy and decently thick, so it just looks bulky otherwise.

Hmmm. I see lots of people here with thick, wavy, long and beautiful hair.

Rohele
March 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
... what on EARTH is forward growing hair?

Is that like a cowlick? Or... something?

I don't get it.

I've been told I have forward growing hair too. its hard to describe - it always flops forward no matter what I do to it, like the follicles point forward or something. Styles that would normally flow backward off the face just don't.

Jules Diamond, I have no advice for you - sorry - I've never had a haircut of any type that fixes the forward flopping/growing hair thing (if were describing the same thing, and that's what you're asking about). I've always pulled it back with something if I need it off my face.

HairColoredHair
March 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Would the weight of longer hair keep forward growing hair pointed down? Like training a part?

kdaniels8811
March 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Can you do a half up to keep it out of your face? I see from your profile you want to grow it long so am assuming you do not want to cut it. And there are lots of bun styles to try, especially at BSL.

Rohele
March 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Would the weight of longer hair keep forward growing hair pointed down? Like training a part?

For me, it does, but marginally. Mine, at least, has a tendency to close like a curtain in front if my face. I always had mine fairly long with minimal layers and no bangs in the past, but when I think about it, I wore my hair up or pulled back most of the time because I couldn't stand it in my eyes.

Roseate
March 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM

One great thing about growing out wavy, thick hair is that as it gets longer, it finally starts to weigh itself down and hang a little better.

If I were you (and hair-wise, I practically am ;), just a tad wavier, tad thicker), I'd wait it out and not get any new layers right now, maybe just get the hairdresser to even out and blend the layers you cut yourself so they will grow out better.

For me, a little layering at the ends is good, but a significantly "layered" haircut just makes my hair HUGE and unruly. Your waves may be kinder than mine, though.

Jules diamond
March 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
For me, it does, but marginally. Mine, at least, has a tendency to close like a curtain in front if my face. I always had mine fairly long with minimal layers and no bangs in the past, but when I think about it, I wore my hair up or pulled back most of the time because I couldn't stand it in my eyes.

Mine does that too. Sometimes I try and pin it back, but it's a hit or miss thing.

One great thing about growing out wavy, thick hair is that as it gets longer, it finally starts to weigh itself down and hang a little better.

If I were you (and hair-wise, I practically am ;), just a tad wavier, tad thicker), I'd wait it out and not get any new layers right now, maybe just get the hairdresser to even out and blend the layers you cut yourself so they will grow out better.

For me, a little layering at the ends is good, but a significantly "layered" haircut just makes my hair HUGE and unruly. Your waves may be kinder than mine, though.

I had hair longer then this once before, and it didn't really get to the point that it was weighed down. I don't want it to be too bulky either though...

spidermom
March 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Length pulls out bulk as well as wave/curl. Behold:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg
The makeup may be over the top but that is totally natural, air-dried hair.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tbb1.jpg
Again, totally natural, air-dried hair.

I can't think of a single cut that would "correct" the directional issue you have going on. Just grow it long enough to pull back; that should work.

Rohele
March 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
We sound like we have very similar hair.

Spidermom is right - nothing will correct the fact that it grows in forward direction. I'm not sure how your wearing your hair right now - your profile indicates you have similarly wavy hair to me, but I would resist the urge to pick a style that fights your natural tendency to waviness (looked a pics of hime cuts - wasn't sure what they were - and the ones I saw were all straight, flat hair), and styles that rely on the hair moving away from the face. You kind of have to embrace having a "sexy draped over one eye" kind of look at all times. And carry hair clips so you can clip it back if you want. It took me a long, long time to figure it out, and I wish I had when I was younger.

Coriander
March 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'm just thinking of all the faux-body you'd have if you did any styles that pulled the hair back :hmm: :D

Jules diamond
March 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Coriander- That is a tempting thought, isn't it?

Rohele- I think I'm going to take your advice on this one. Maybe I'll get the layers evened out a little though. You definately seem to know where I'm coming from. I don't know about the sexy part though. ^^' I've got a little bit of a babyface- but I'll try!

Thanks for your input everyone!