PDA

View Full Version : How do I create more "slip"?

AnnaMarie
March 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

I've been having an issue with a lack of slip in my hair after my last few washes.
I CO wash with vo5 Strawberrys and Cream (cone free) I've been using this method for the last 6 or so months and have not really had this problem before.
My hair doesn't really feel any drier, just lacking slip making it really quick to tangle.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

spidermom
March 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
The shampoo and conditioner that I'm using right now, which is J/A/S/O/N Natural Biotin formula is giving me more slip than I had in a long-long time. I use a little of the conditioner as a leave-in after my CWC routine.

Another product that gave me great slip was Nature's Gate Rainwater, Sea Kelp, and Aloe formula. Alas - they discontinued it.

Coney products help, too. I liked CHI serum (out of it right now) and John Frieda's (I think that's the name) smoothing cream for blondes (currently using). I wash my hair with cone-free shampoo so do not get buildup from cone products. Plus my hair is already well moisturized, and cones help to keep it that way.

Elphie
March 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
I may be wrong, but I think there may be protien in the Strawberries and Cream, perhaps switching off to one without protien in it? Cool water rinses also help me add a little more slip.

Anje
March 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
If you're suddenly experiencing a lack of slip where you had it before, I'd say you have buildup, either from the conditioner, or from the protein in it (probably the soy milk, given the ingredients list I found).

I'd suggest that you clarify your hair, and if that doesn't help, try switching to a no-protein conditioner.

Panthenol can also cause issues for a few people, IIRC, but it's harder to avoid, and I'd recommend ruling out buildup and protein first.

RavennaNight
March 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Cones. I went back to cones recently and was amazed about all the slip that I was missing before. For me: Cones=Slip. Slip=less tangles. Less tangles=less breaks and sheds. Once a conehead always a conehead. :shrug:

Soniasonia
March 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Try clarifying with Prell. Best stuff ever.

AnnaMarie
March 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for their replies, yes I was beginning to think it might be build up. I'll do a shampoo on my next wash. My hairs been really good with the soy protein in it for the last 6 months so it would be a shame if it reacted badly to it now:( But who knows my hair can be very fickle lol . I'll do a clarify and see how that runs. I don't want to get back to cones, I had some put in my hair for my recent wedding by my hairdresser and ick! Sorry to those coneheads but its not for me .