PDA

View Full Version : sodium coco sulfate?

Naava
March 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Last time I bought shampoo, I decided to try something that would be SLS free. I found a shampoo that I thought was what I had been looking for. But now I finally read the incredients list properly and noticed that the shampoo has something called sodium coco sulfate. Now I'm wondering, is this stuff just as bad for my hair as regular SLS shampoo or could it be a more gently subsitute anyway?

Gothic Lolita
March 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I also use diluted shampoo with sodium coco sulfate and it seems to me a lot gentler than other sulfates. When I wash with the more common ones my hair feels really stripped afterwards, with my shampoo usually just soft and clean.

Roseate
March 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Sodium Coco Sulfate is a naturally derived alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in flake form. Sodium Coco Sulfate is derived from pure coconut oil. It can be used in a wide variety of personal care applications in which viscosity building and foam characteristics are of importance. The product formulates similar to synthetic alkyl sulfates, but is less defatting to the hair and skin. SCS being less soluble than synthetic alkyl sulfates leaves the skin and hair with a conditioned feel.

Source. (http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemicals_S_Z-Sodium_Coco_Sulfate.html) Sounds better than SLS to me. I've used a shampoo bar from Lush with SCS, and didn't experience any of the scalp problems I get from SLS while using it.

mira-chan
March 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Last time I bought shampoo, I decided to try something that would be SLS free. I found a shampoo that I thought was what I had been looking for. But now I finally read the incredients list properly and noticed that the shampoo has something called sodium coco sulfate. Now I'm wondering, is this stuff just as bad for my hair as regular SLS shampoo or could it be a more gently subsitute anyway?
It has the same exact safety warnings as SLS on the chemical fact sheets. General consensus is that it's a version of SLS (purification difference I think). If it works better for you then by all means use it, same for SLS too.

rosie91
March 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
would it still work as well as SLS but not be as bad for the environment?

akurah
March 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Sodium coco sulfate uses the same CAS identifier # as sodium lauryl sulfate. They are the exact same, the only difference is that sodium coco sulfate is diluted with coconut oil remnants.

Naava
March 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your answers :)

Sigh... I guess I need to keep trying to find a sls free shampoo. I really want to try one, even though this what I have works fine for me (I haven't had any problems with regular sls shampoos either). It was just a disappointment to find out that I bought something thinking it was different.

Roseate
March 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Sigh... I guess I need to keep trying to find a sls free shampoo. I really want to try one, even though this what I have works fine for me (I haven't had any problems with regular sls shampoos either).

I think you've found a SLS free shampoo already.

SCS is similar to SLS, but it's not the same. It's a detergent, but a different one. If you want to go totally sulfate/detergent free, then yes, you need a different one, but if you're happy with what you've got, no reason not to stick with it.

Pegasus Marsters
March 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM

SCS is similar to SLS, but it's not the same. It's a detergent, but a different one. If you want to go totally sulfate/detergent free, then yes, you need a different one, but if you're happy with what you've got, no reason not to stick with it.

As others have already stated SCS is SLS. It's just diluted.

akurah
March 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM

I have researched SCS at length, and can assure you they are the same. Here are some older threads if you want to read up:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=17189&postcount=12
whole thread of above post: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=845&highlight=sodium+coco+sulfate
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=253401&postcount=31
whole thread of above linked post: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10964&highlight=sodium+coco+sulfate

Both SLS and SCS are derived from coconut oil, but not many people know that about SLS. Thus, when saying something is "SCS", they go, "It comes from coconut oil!!!!1one" as if it were special. Knowing what I do about chemicals, I sensed a bit of, well, bullsh*t, for lack of a better term, and thus the research began, which is why I know all this nonsense. I've also consulted with chemists on the matter (including the Beauty Brains, but not limited to), and they concur with my conclusions.

Roseate
March 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
As others have already stated SCS is SLS. It's just diluted.

I had understood it as the other way around, as in SLS is a more refined version of SCS.

Coco Sulfate is the sulfation product of Coconut Alcohols using an SO3 process. Unlike Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Coco-Sulfate is manufactured without removal of all the higher molecular weight fatty acids that are integral to Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil. source (http://www.hallstar.com/pis.php?product=10668)

And sometimes being less refined is a good thing. I guess in this case it doesn't really make a difference, there's still enough of the same pesky molecule in it to bother people.

Elenna
March 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
I've been having allergic reactions to SLS. I can wash my hair with castile shampoo, etc with no reaction.

I bought two Aubrey Organics shampoos, the ingredients include "coconut oil-corn oil soap." Whatever that means. It's so vague. But anyway, my scalp reactes badly to these products. Just wondering if these are in fact SLS or SCS. I can't find any answers to this.

rymorg2
March 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I've been having allergic reactions to SLS. I can wash my hair with castile shampoo, etc with no reaction.

I bought two Aubrey Organics shampoos, the ingredients include "coconut oil-corn oil soap." Whatever that means. It's so vague. But anyway, my scalp reactes badly to these products. Just wondering if these are in fact SLS or SCS. I can't find any answers to this.

Nope, they are not the same.....the Aubrey organics all contain a coconut and corn oil based soap while SLS and SCS are detergents. Soaps can be just as harsh though, and I've found that the AO are very harsh for me but I can use others just fine.

atlantaz3
March 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
I'm using abba which is checked on the back as sulfate, dye and dea free and 100% vegan. (However I this experiment failed for me.) It does have sodium methyl cocoyl taurate in it (what ever that is). I bought this brand at Ulta 3 - not sure if that store is in your area,

Naava
March 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately we don't have Ulta in this country :) But I have internet! Thanks for the tip, atlantaz3.

mira-chan
March 4th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Nope, they are not the same.....the Aubrey organics all contain a coconut and corn oil based soap while SLS and SCS are detergents. Soaps can be just as harsh though, and I've found that the AO are very harsh for me but I can use others just fine.
AO has the opposite effect for me. It doesn't lather at all in our water. We just have weird water.

I'm sensitive to sulfates so I have to looks for sulfate free shampoo ( and toothpaste too. :mad:) Burt's bees has coco betaine instead of SLS. Giovanni is also sulfate free.

>Feline<
April 20th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Weird that sometimes Sodium Coco Sulfate's cas number is 97375-27-4 which is different than Sodium Layryl Sulfate's cas number.

mira-chan
April 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Weird that sometimes Sodium Coco Sulfate's cas number is 97375-27-4 which is different than Sodium Layryl Sulfate's cas number.

It has a different purity. It's not completely identical but it's close enough that it might as well be.

Fethenwen
May 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I just did the same mistake as the OP. But at least sodium coco-sulfate seems more friendly than regular SLS. I got myself a bottle of urtekram sage shampoo. Did make my hair really soft, I used about one teaspoon diluted in a glass of water.

According to cosmetic database:
http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=706033

Kirin
May 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Its still a sulfate.

Many new shampoos are coming out duping the public even stating on the label "sulfate free", and they aren't.

SimplyViki
May 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Many new shampoos are coming out duping the public even stating on the label "sulfate free", and they aren't.
Like those new L'Oreal ones in the shiny metallic tubes? I've been eying those ones lately... but have been skeptical that they're really "sulfate free".

As far as the original topic, I had the same concerns about Lush's new sodium coco sulfate stuff. I am glad it at least differs somewhat - even though it's similar. I was originally suspicious that they'd just changed the name to reflect the fact that SLS is derived from coconuts.

Fethenwen
May 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Its still a sulfate.

Well at least it should be better for the environment than regular sulfates.

Dacia
May 15th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Naava, I don't know where you live, but one of the mildest shampoos I can find in my part of the world is Bioderma Nod&#233; Fluide:

http://www.leclubsante.com/images/produits/middle/node-fluide---20-pour-cent-offert--capillaires-bioderma-4111.jpg

Ingredients: water (aqua), caprylyl/capryl glucoside, peg-150 distearate, peg-6 caprylic/capric glycerides, sodium lauroyl oat amino acids, peg-15 cocopolyamine, diosdium edta, quaternium-80, propylene glycol, mannitol, xylitol, rhamnose, fructooligosaccharides, sodium hydroxide, lactic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum)

Kirin
May 15th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Well at least it should be better for the environment than regular sulfates.

Sadly ..... no. A sulfate is a sulfate, no matter how its marketed. I am no expert mind you, but the end result is the same no matter what you are making the sulfate from. Either petroleum, or coconut, the end product has little to do with the starting product.

In effect, Coco-sulfate is just sulfate with more fats to it. You could get the same result adding coconut oil to your regular shampoo.

A lot of detergents are derived from coconuts, coco-sulfate is no different and not particularly chemically different from other sulfates.