PDA

View Full Version : Cones question

chelssix
March 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I've been reading through the threads looking for information on cones. I use them, but I want to know how I would go about clarifying the build-up they leave behind?
Also, how can I tell when I have cone bulid-up?
Thanks!

neon-dream
March 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Just use a clarifying shampoo :), or baking soda on your hair.
and I can tell when I have build up as my hair doesn't look so full as it normally does. I clarify every few months just to keep on top of build up.
Hope this helped! :blossom:

chelssix
March 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
It did, but.... How do I use the baking soda? And what do I moisturize with after the clarifying shampoo?

BlackfootHair
March 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
I use good ole Prell shampoo for clarifying them off. Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate, ammonium laureth sulphate and ammonium xenosulphate are top ingredients. I washed my hair this morning twice with it, and then conditioned with Mane and Tail conditioner, which feels really nice in my hair. :) When I wash my hair with Prell it rinses out really nice. I don't know..it's kind of amazing. lol

kwaniesiam
March 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
I use Suave clarifying shampoo. Prell destroyed my hair before LHC, but that is probably because I used it almost daily and rarely conditioned because no one ever taught me to.

mooglewoo
March 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Any kind of shampoo with sulfates should do the trick unless it's been months of you using cones while washing with sulfate-free shampoo.

It's always good to use an extra moisturizing conditioner after a clarify, or even a mask. A leave-in of coconut or jojoba oil would be good, too. Some people like butters (like shea).

RancheroTheBee
March 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
I use Herbal Essences Dejunkify, but basically anything with sulphates will do. You can tell when you're getting buildup when the hair begins feeling crunchy, sticky, gummy or brittle, but there's no signs of splits.

PS: Usually, if I need to seriously clarify, I use an SMT afterwards, or at least a cone-free/protein-free conditioner with some honey.

chelssix
March 5th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Right, so I tried some cone-free shampoo to clarify (but followed with some cone leave-in: is that okay?) and I think I sort of hate the way my hair feels. Is that normal?

Heavenly Locks
March 5th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Any kind of shampoo with sulfates should do the trick

But my coney shampoo and conditioner have sulphates? ALS and SLS :confused:

plainjanegirl
March 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM
But my coney shampoo and conditioner have sulphates? ALS and SLS :confused:

My thought exactly , so I always use the suave clarifying shampoo but I think even it has cones in it. confusing.