PDA

View Full Version : is asian hair more protected than other?

pdy2kn6
March 3rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
i saw someone made a post commenting on asians having longer hair, i was curious whether asian race have a more protected hair type/texture, as so many women i have seen wear their long asian straight black silky hair in a bun or simple ponytail down their back in sunlight all day, but it still doesn't look damaged, and still looks really nourished, shiny and silky, and also often able to wear down, whereas often when i see those people (not of asian decent) who too haven't protected their hair from the sun (by wearing a cap or umbrella or something), tend to have largely frizzier dried hair. is there something natural about their hairtype that allows them to do this? when i was in china last summer i saw so many women with super straight long (longer than waist) hair just walking around in the strong sunlight. hmmm.

BTW just to add by asian i am focusing on china, particularly eastern china

Kuchen
March 3rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
Define, "Asian". As pointed out on the other thread, you're talking about a huge percentage of the earth's population, all of whom have independent minds and do their hair all kinds of different ways depending on the day, month, year, whim. I don't think there's an answer to your question.

pdy2kn6
March 3rd, 2009, 01:47 AM
Define, "Asian". As pointed out on the other thread, you're talking about a huge percentage of the earth's population, all of whom have independent minds and do their hair all kinds of different ways depending on the day, month, year, whim. I don't think there's an answer to your question.

Sorry, i have been learning 'ethnography of asia' at uni and we were focusing on china so i often forget how massive asia is. I meant chinese hair, which generally tends to be stick straight jetblack/brown.

Kuchen
March 3rd, 2009, 02:28 AM
That's 1,330,044,544 people. You might have to hone it down a bit further.

pdy2kn6
March 3rd, 2009, 03:27 AM
i was really just speaking in general terms, about many chinese people with long hair, maybe i should rephrase the question, it seems to be causing some fuffles... many asian (chinese) women i have seen in the past have got really long shiny hair, even though they are in the sun many days, and not wearing hats or anything to protect their hair from sun damage, whereas me, i am sure and many others, if they did the same, our hair would be fried, dry and damaged. Yet many of these long hairers still appear to have silky healthy strands, even when not worn in a bun everyday, just freely out or tied in to a ponytail in the hot sun. Is this something to do with the 'general' texture of chinese hair cuticles which perhaps makes their hair more protected from certain damage like sun damage in particular?

Katze
March 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
C and M hair is more naturally protected from damage than F hair, that's for sure.

However, since hair type does not correlate directly to ethnicity, and since most humans are a genetic mixture from waaaay back (despite what propaganda and nationalism like to tell us), it is difficult at best, and problematic at worst, to make such generalizations.

bsc
March 3rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
I think in general it is. Asian (and by that I mean japanesse/chinese type of hair) hair is supposed to be thicker and also is very straight. In curly or wavy hair the cuticle tends to lift in the places where the hair curls, and for that reason the hair tends to loss moisture. So I think that a combination of thicker, straighter hair tends to give Asian hair extra strenght. In general all my Asian friends have very healthy beautiful hair. This is my oppinion, but I am not an expert, jajaja.

Akiko
March 3rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
This (http://asiams.net/Hair/Frankly/frankly.html)might provide you better info. I think Asian hair (I mean Japanese/Chinese/Korean here.) is coarse. Hair strands are thicker, but porous. It requires more force to break Asian hair compared to Caucasian's or people of African descent. But our hair is susceptible to chemical damage.

I cannot tell you how many times my Asian friends complained that they wanted a nice gentle perm, but ended up with tight curls! Because Asian hair is porous, it absorbs moisture as well as any type of chemical liquid... So if we leave our hair in perm liquid a bit too long, hair sucks it up way too much, ending up with tight curls and damage. A typical Asian hair disaster!:mad::mad:

My hair gets sun damaged rather easily. If I stay in the sun too much, my hair gets sun-bleached and lots of split ends. I don't know about others, though. My sister's hair does not get sun bleached like mine.

Monchhichi
March 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm not a big expert in this field either. But I was once told that hair of East Asians (Coreans, Japanese, Chinese) and South East Asians (Vietnamese and Thai) has an extra layer outside. If you want to use these hair for wigs in Caucasian hairstyle you have to chemically remove this outer layer to make it look like Caucasian hair. This would somehow fit to what Akiko wrote about East Asians with perms.

SweetPea88
March 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
I myself am half Korean and have found that my hair takes damage really well. Even when I was completely unconcerned about protecting my hair, there were few signs of damage with my hair. I would say that this has most to do with the typical Asian hairtype, which is coarse. I would say that my hair is pretty strong because of it's coarseness, even though it is very wavy. This being said, I do experience some lightening of color in the summer if I get to much exposure to the sun.

Jessaka
March 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
I am Japanese/Filipino and I can say that my hair has taken a beating over the years and it still looks okay to me. Within the last year I have highlighted twice and dyed it back to dark brown again and it's all right. I do have some breakage though, which was mainly caused by overprocessing when some stupid girl left on the hairdye for too long. My hair seems to have a few curves to it when left to dry naturally, but can be straight if I blow dry it or flat iron it.

...about the perms, yes, the curls seem to get super tight. When I was in elementary and got a perm..mannnnn I looked like CAPTAIN HOOK.

Anje
March 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
I do seem to see a lot of Asian hair (Taiwan, coastal China, Hmong) that seems to be really impervious to damage. Small sample size, but I don't see split ends on my labmates, and the Japanese prof down the hall with fingertip-length hair that she normally wears loose or ponytailed doesn't look like she's got damage either, though her hair looks like threads it's so course.

I suspect that EdG is going to be my example, though, of seemingly impervious asian hair -- I know my fine hair would not be anywhere near as long if I always wore it loose.

sklent
March 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I have a chinese flat mate and when one of my friends gave him a haircut we we're surprised at how difficult it was to get through with the scissors. It is amazing how strong his hair is.

rhysiana
March 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
This article at least references a study, so it could be a starting point to answering some of your quesitons:

5 Ways Asian Hair Is Different from Caucasian Hair (http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/17/5-ways-that-asian-hair-is-different-from-caucasian-hair/)

Back to anecdotal evidence, what I remember hearing when I lived in Japan and all us non-Asians were discussing where to get our hair cut by stylists who could deal with non-Asian hair is that Asians have thicker individual hairs (seems quite likely), but fewer actual hairs (don't know about this part). In general, the styles that worked on the lovely Japanese women we worked with did not work at all on our finer, more flyaway foreign hair.

flapjack
March 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
All 3 races have people with fine, medium and coarse hair.

So the answer is no. Coarse hair is not an Asian hair trait, it is a human hair trait.