PDA

View Full Version : Biotin side effects?

Fairlight63
March 2nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
I was wondering if any one of you have had bad side effects from taking Biotin? (it has 1500 mcg in it)
Iam wondering if it is causing me to keep getting painful canker sores in my mouth. Lately I no sooner get rid of one than I get another one. So I think that I am going to quit taking it for a while & see if they quit coming back.
Before I was just taking Biotin once in a while but lately I have been taking it everyday, so I am wondering if it could be the cause.

So, anyone else had bad effects from taking it & had to quit?

Thanks!

Carolyn
March 2nd, 2009, 07:52 PM
I've gotten canker sores on my tongue all my life but they didn't increase when I started taking large doses of biotin. I've heard of the skin/pores detoxing with biotin or MSM. I may have had a little of it with MSM but I figured that was a good thing and toughed it out.

You could cut back on your dosage and see what happens.

HairColoredHair
March 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Anything else you've been eating a lot of? Some people with gluten sensitivities react by getting canker sores.

SpecialKitty
March 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
I remember reading on another forum that some people got acne when they took biotin. You could try cutting it out for awhile and see if the canker sores get better. :twocents:

mira-chan
March 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
I get canker sores from Sulfate containing toothpase, as I'm sensitive to sulfates.

Biotin on the other hand gives me spectacular facial sculpture creations (acne) that take months to go way. :justy:

kali_shey
March 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
Like anything, it probably depends on the individual ...from what I've read (although I've only just decided to try it) it shouldn't have any side-effects, since it's a water-soluble vitamin, but of course that doesn't mean that everyone is going to be side-effect free, especially since we've all got different body chemistry and are sensitive to various things.

I also read a bit of mildly conflicting information on it (just that pertains to my own personal issues kinda thing but I thought I'd post them here anyway)

--biotin is apparently specifically good for people who are on long-term antibiotics, like I am, as that can apparently cause biotin deficiencies in the digestive tract, and also for people who are on anti-seizure medication (which I am; sometimes I wonder if somebody in my family liked somebody in my family a bit too much :confused: ...which can also cause biotin deficiencies...I definitely noticed my hair growing much more slowly on the anti-seizure medication but I suppose I should consider myself lucky that it hasn't fallen out, which can be a side-effect ...no more of my usual inch-per-month growth, however..it's creeping along at a snail's pace now) so I thought about my overall health and then about better hair as a side-effect (well, partially). :D

Weirdly, I read, I think, about seven sites total today before adding it to the shopping list and six of them said that biotin was perfectly fine for everyone and isn't harmful and is good for hair, skin, nails, sweat glands, bone marrow, health of the central nervous system etc. etc. etc. (all of which were from genuine sites and not from vitamin companies or etc.) and one said that epileptics shouldn't take it [facepalm].
So I'll be taking it at my own risk, and if I develop increased seizures, ulcers or acne I'll definitely cut back.

Hope you feel better! :)

Melisande
March 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
I take Biotin for four months now and have no side effects. Just for the record ;-)

xeternalsilence
March 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I've always had bad acne, but it got significantly worse when I started taking biotin. At first, I thought it was just my skin detoxing or whatever, so I toughed it out for a few months, but it kept getting worse.

Within a few weeks without taking it, my skin finally started to clear up.

ETA: I've heard that you have to drink a lot of water when taking biotin. I guess that could have been my problem? Though I felt like I was drinking enough. Who knows.

JamieLeigh
March 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
The only bad side effect I've had with Biotin is increased acne. I'm fighting it off with some Proactiv, though, so I think that's the only trouble I'm having. I like taking it, though and probably will continue to. :)

baobhan sith
March 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
I've always had bad acne, but it got significantly worse when I started taking biotin. At first, I thought it was just my skin detoxing or whatever, so I toughed it out for a few months, but it kept getting worse.

Within a few weeks without taking it, my skin finally started to clear up.

ETA: I've heard that you have to drink a lot of water when taking biotin. I guess that could have been my problem? Though I felt like I was drinking enough. Who knows.

The way to tell if it's getting to concentrate in your body is to see what color you pee. If you're drinking enough water, it should be fairly clear. Biotin, (and possibly some other B-vitamins) can make your urine a kind of lime-green. so if you've got that, you're probably taking too much. i think. :)

Speckla
March 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
I first started to break out with biotin but it went away after a few weeks.
________
VAPORIZERS (http://vaporizer.org/)

Fencai
March 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
yeah I break out from the biotin too. (funny that since its supposed to be good for hair, SKIN and nails!) LOL!
it went away after a few weeks.
when I finished that bottle, and DH bought me more and picked up a different kind, i started the breaking out all over again.
even DH broke out from it.

no canker sores though

Speckla
March 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
yeah I break out from the biotin too. (funny that since its supposed to be good for hair, SKIN and nails!) LOL!
it went away after a few weeks.
when I finished that bottle, and DH bought me more and picked up a different kind, i started the breaking out all over again.
even DH broke out from it.

no canker sores though

It's supposed to pull all the impurities to the surface and that's why people breakout and then clear up.
________
Kawasaki Zg1000 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_ZG1000)

Unofficial_Rose
March 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
I've been taking 1000mcg for about 3 months and no side effects.

Apparently no benefits either, so when this lot runs out I doubt I'll buy any more :shrug:

Actually any type of Vitamin B-type substances seem to have no effect on me whatsoever...

Fairlight63
March 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I read on another forum also about the achne problems that some was getting & wondered if it could cause canker sores in the mouth also. I guess that they aren't causing them.
Maybe it is the toothpaste. I use Crest reg. type & have for a long time. But the canker sores seem to be getting worse lately for some reason. I would no sooner get over one then it seemed like I was getting another one.
Thanks everyone.

Speckla
March 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I read on another forum also about the achne problems that some was getting & wondered if it could cause canker sores in the mouth also. I guess that they aren't causing them.
Maybe it is the toothpaste. I use Crest reg. type & have for a long time. But the canker sores seem to be getting worse lately for some reason. I would no sooner get over one then it seemed like I was getting another one.
Thanks everyone.

Maybe you need to change your toothbrush? It could be carrying germs that are causing you to keep getting the sores.
________
Ferrari 212 Export (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_212_Export)

Roseate
March 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
I hate to suggest more supplements, since you might be having trouble with the ones you're taking, but... have you tried taking L-Lysine? I don't get canker sores myself but my father always took it for that purpose.

gmdiaz
March 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hello,

I've been taking 25 mcg (Appearex) for over a month now. . .no bad side effects at all. And I am noticing a huge and wonderful difference in my nails. I am surprised because I think the dosage is quite low?

But also, and maybe unrelated. . .I am all the sudden having tangles in my hair that I've never had.

curls2grow
March 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I think I was taking 3000 mcg. I got horrible cystic acne from it. Not a lot in quantity, but the frequency and duration of each one increased. When I cut out the biotin my skin calmed down. Extra hair growth and strong nails wasn't worth the skin troubles I got.

Amelia
June 18th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I searched and dig up this thread not to open a new one.

I've been taking biotin, actually is a complex of vitamines. It contains:
Vitamin b1(1,2mg per capsule)
vitamin b2(1,4mg)
vitamin b3 (16mg)
vitamin b6(1,7mg)
Zink(5 mg)
Biotin( 60 µg)
Folic acid (150 µg)

I've been taking them for over a month now and on the positive side i can say my hair has been growing like weed. But i'm considering stopping because the cons are bigger than the pros.

I've noticed that I'm sheading abnormally, my nails are a disgrace, they are flaky and breaking all the time and i feel like i've lost thickness in my hair.

I was wondering if any one had anything like this happening to them.
Any input is appreciated!