PDA

View Full Version : Do Rags FTW!

somethingwicked
March 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Okay, I just have to share this in case there's someone else like me out there looking for something similar. Plus, I've gotten SO MUCH from this board, rattling around the archives and cruising current posts off and on, I gotta give back :)

Anyway, I started doing some of my own maintenance on the cars, and where a quickie scrunchie bun would work for most other activities to keep my hair out of the way, I didn't want to crawl around under a car with my hair exposed, even wrapped up. When the weather was cooler, I'd just go ahead and pull it back and wear a zipped up hoodie with the hood pulled up, but I grabbed a do rag at the dollar store to try and it is PERFECT! It's the kind that I've usually seen the gangsta types of guys wear. It's kind of satiny (which does cause some slippage, but nuthin a couple of bobby pins won't help), but I can put my hair in a bun, tie it low across my forehead, then the "tail" part that the guys usually let hang down their backs covers the bun neatly. LOL, it looks hideous, so I'm dreading the day I take one of my cars to a meet to work on it with help, but it saves the hair, and that's what really counts, isn't it? But these things are available at almost every $1 store I've ever walked into, they work better than a bandana, so they fit the bill nicely.

So, hopefully this will help someone, sometime, who needs to get their hair pulled totally out of the way and protected.

Thanks again, everyone, for all of the information that you share here on a daily basis!

manderly
March 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
LOL, I'm too chicken to do a do rag look.

I've worn bandanas WWII-style whenever I've had to work on the boat and didn't want fiberglass and boat paint in my hair :)

Kimberly
March 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
I just bought myself a tie dye bandanna to try out as a do-rag because of sunburn. Festival season is approaching in my area, and I'll have to deal with sunblock. Which I hate. And what I hate most of all is getting it in my hair, but I have to paint it down my part or else I end up with a most horrible and disgusting sunburned line up the middle of my head. So, I'm going to try wearing my new do-rag instead.

I think it'll be really cute with a pair of braids hanging out the back, and tie-dye is always good for festivals!

plainjanegirl
March 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/womens-scrub-hats/

these are not do rags and they are for nurses, but I think they are sooo cool looking

Kimberly
March 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
plainjanegirl, those ARE cool. Thanks for the link.

somethingwicked
March 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/womens-scrub-hats/

WOOHOO! I gotta get me some of these, now, a more civilized look! They have the little hair pouch too, that's what totally makes it for me. Thanks!

plainjanegirl
March 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I think those could be made for alot cheaper than what they are selling them for. I thought about seeing if I could find someone on etsy who could make something similar cheaper.

kdaniels8811
March 3rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
I love them! and "need" something under my motorcycle helmet. I agree, maybe someone with sewing skills could make them on etsy? I would certainly buy one, especially the ponytail holder. What a great idea.

RancheroTheBee
March 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
I want one of those nurse hats in silk to wear to bed.

plainjanegirl
March 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
I want one of those nurse hats in silk to wear to bed.

That would be a good idea too.