PDA

View Full Version : Another "is this already invented"/inspirational thread.

Hypnotica
March 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
I haven't seen this around, but I'm not the world's most attentative person :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3543/3323740432_21a818e518.jpg

As you can see, it is an infinity bun flipped up. I really like it as I have problems getting infinity's secure enought (even past hip, my hair is too short to be secure in 8's(.

PurpleAshes
March 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
I don't know if it's already invented, but it looks very nice :D

Kerri
March 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Woah, great idea! I've also never been able to secure infinity buns with just one stick. I just had to give this a try. And guess what, it worked! :cheese:

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv158/Kerrikin/buns/flipped-infinity.jpg

Thank you so much for inventing this!

- Kerri.

Coriander
March 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Oh, is that ever gorgeous!!

RancheroTheBee
March 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
We can call it the Hypnotica bun. :grin:

Melisande
March 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hypnotica, I have never seen this bun before. I think it's your invention. You know I wear your flipped bun stroke of genius SO often. It's the Hypnotica bun, no doubt.

What a pity that my infinity bun is still unbalanced and miserable...

Forever_Sophie
March 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Beautiful! And I'm out of the loop - what's the infinity bun? Probably won't be able to pull it off but this is so gorgeous :)

Hypnotica
March 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Beautiful! And I'm out of the loop - what's the infinity bun? Probably won't be able to pull it off but this is so gorgeous :)

Do you know what a Figure 8-bun is? The infinitfy bun is a figure 8 laying down :)

Calanthe
March 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Ohhh, I must try this - my infinity bun is a joke!

Hypnotica
March 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
But surely someone have done this bun before?

lizzyjo
March 3rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Ooo!!! I must try this tomorrow!

Briar
March 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
If it wouldn't be terrible trouble to you, Hypnotica, could you post a video of this bun sometime? It's thanks to your videos that I can do a Nautilus bun and an Equilibrium bun. (I haven't tried a Flipped bun because I'm not sure how to hold it with a single stick. lol

Kerynna
March 3rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
It looks very nice! I will try it later today.

Silverlox
March 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
I've never seen anything like this bun. Granted, I'm not always very attentive either.. :silly:

It looks absolutely lovely and highly doable!

My vote is that you name it, as you invented it. Hypnotica bun sounds nice, or perhaps flipped infinity if you prefer a more descriptive name, or whatever you please.

I'd also love to see an article/tutorial on this one, especially as you make such great tutorials, with words, pictures and videos, making it really easy for us updo-challenged to figure it out. :flower:

Yep, I was a member of the Original Hair Idiot's Club.

Calanthe
March 3rd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Argh...and I'm still a fully paid up member of the Hair Idiot's Club - I don't get the "Hypnotica Bun" flipped. The infinity is no problem but the flip gets lost somewhere along the way. Dang! And Poot as well! :rolleyes:

frizzinator
March 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Thank you Hypnotica, I love this flipped up infinity bun! I have practiced it 4 times to figure out what to do with the tail end. I'm still working on a way to tuck it under.

Kerri, your photo is gorgeous!

sahiba
March 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
:agape: How do you manage to hold the bun and flip it with out spoiling it ??? Its looking so pretty .

Woah, great idea! I've also never been able to secure infinity buns with just one stick. I just had to give this a try. And guess what, it worked! :cheese:

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv158/Kerrikin/buns/flipped-infinity.jpg

Thank you so much for inventing this!

- Kerri.

Nice , Nice very nice :) :thumbsup:

Wavelength
March 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Thank you Hypnotica, I love this flipped up infinity bun! I have practiced it 4 times to figure out what to do with the tail end. I'm still working on a way to tuck it under.

I've actually tried this before, but I didn't know what to do with the tail either. When I try to tuck it in as I'm flipping it, the whole thing heaves to one side and falls apart. I can't seem to tuck it in securely after it's flipped either. So I concluded that the updo wasn't workable. But voila, here comes Hypnotica with a successful attempt! (And it looks gorgeous.) What did you do with the tail?

Forever_Sophie
March 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Do you know what a Figure 8-bun is? The infinitfy bun is a figure 8 laying down :)

Thanks! I have an idea of the figure 8 bun - must do some searches about the "laying down" part. Anyway, congrats on your invention, hope to see a tutorial :)

frizzinator
March 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
How do you manage to hold the bun and flip it with out spoiling it ???

Hold on to every part of the bun with both hands and put your thumbs underneath the bun to support it while flipping the bun over.

After you have flipped the bun, remove one hand from it and adjust the other hand so that it is holding the entire bun against your head so that you can inserting the hair accessory with the other hand.

Practice, practice, practice, and sometimes bun adjustment is necessary.

frizzinator
March 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
I've actually tried this before, but I didn't know what to do with the tail either. When I try to tuck it in as I'm flipping it, the whole thing heaves to one side and falls apart. I can't seem to tuck it in securely after it's flipped either. So I concluded that the updo wasn't workable. But voila, here comes Hypnotica with a successful attempt! (And it looks gorgeous.) What did you do with the tail?

I rearranged the coiling so that the last coil with the tail-end would be in the middle of the stack instead of on the bottom, so that after flipping the top coil over, and then flipping-up the whole bun, the tail would be against my head instead of on top of the bun. The result was that the bun held together securely but the tail would still escape a little bit.

GlassEyes
March 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
OOOOH, YOU SHOULD CALL IT THE HYPKNOT OR THE HYPNO-SWIRL.

:P Yes, I am that lame. xD;

Wavelength
March 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
I rearranged the coiling so that the last coil with the tail-end would be in the middle of the stack instead of on the bottom, so that after flipping the top coil over, and then flipping-up the whole bun, the tail would be against my head instead of on top of the bun. The result was that the bun held together securely but the tail would still escape a little bit.

Yeah, I tried something similar, but that was when the entire bun decided to fall apart.

Or it could be the way I'm making my infinity. I used to do the type where you made a bee-butt bun and flipped over one coil, but that started feeling imbalanced as my hair got longer. So I switched to the type where you make the infinity first and wrap the rest around the base. When I flip over that type, everything I've wrapped underneath sproings out. But I can't seem to make the other type work either, since due to the imbalance it just heaves to the side when I flip it.

Of course, now my hair is freshly washed and has a lot of slip, so I doubt I'll get the knack of it today. :rolleyes:

Hypnotica
March 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
If it wouldn't be terrible trouble to you, Hypnotica, could you post a video of this bun sometime? It's thanks to your videos that I can do a Nautilus bun and an Equilibrium bun. (I haven't tried a Flipped bun because I'm not sure how to hold it with a single stick. lol

No, no trouble! But I'm afraid that it have to wait at least to this weekend (when I have some daylight to work with and hopefully some unslippery hair).

Yep, the whole thing *is* a bit unbalanced and hard to secure. I'm not sure how I did it in the picture, but at work today I kind of tired to get the ends under the flipped part. I guess it's a matter of practice.

OOOOH, YOU SHOULD CALL IT THE HYPKNOT OR THE HYPNO-SWIRL.

:P Yes, I am that lame. xD;

Hypno-Swirl it is! :D

Ylliria
March 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Great idea, Hypnotica!

Kerri
March 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
[...]I have practiced it 4 times to figure out what to do with the tail end. I'm still working on a way to tuck it under. [...]
I created some kind of pocket thing under the bun, just like in a gibson tuck (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4792&highlight=gibson+tuck). Then I stuffed everything I didn't want to be seen in there :D

[...]
What a pity that my infinity bun is still unbalanced and miserable...
That your infinity bun is unbalanced is not a disadvantage here, because this bun is unbalanced and asymmetric by its very construction. And I doubt that your buns are miserable :)

frizzinator, sahiba thanks for your nice comments :flower: But the honor has to go to hypnotica for inventing this gorgeous bun!

- Kerri.

GlassEyes
March 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hypno-Swirl it is! :D
:cheese:

: D YAAAAAY!

Silverlox
March 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
That is a great name!! The Hypno-swirl! Wow! :D

KarenLynn
March 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I don't know how you did yours, but the finished style looks a lot like exclusively_di's "unnamed bun". She had pictures and instructions on the old board somewhere. Sadly I don't have the link as I just stumbled over it once. Here's my attempt at the style, using her instructions:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/KarenLynn/January%202007/IMG_0906.jpg

darkwaves
March 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
That's very pretty.

Hypnotica
March 4th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I don't know how you did yours, but the finished style looks a lot like exclusively_di's "unnamed bun". She had pictures and instructions on the old board somewhere. Sadly I don't have the link as I just stumbled over it once. Here's my attempt at the style, using her instructions:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/KarenLynn/January%202007/IMG_0906.jpg

Seems to me that it is similair to what I did......I hope she doesn't mind my Hypno-Swirl invention though.

Stevy
March 4th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Oh, that's beautiful!

Shorty89
March 6th, 2009, 09:25 AM
It looks gorgeous! I attempted to do it and came up with this...I'm not sure what happened.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=70&pictureid=33483