PDA

View Full Version : Can caucasian hair grow while in micro braids?

Toadstool
March 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
I don't know if this is a stupid question but I am in the process of putting lots of tiny braids in my hair and I wondered if this would affect the growth at all?

twilight
March 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
i had BSL-length hair wrapped in braided extensions a few years ago for about 2 months, and my hair grew during that time. it also started to dread at the roots, which is when i knew they were ready to come out!

as long as the extensions aren't too heavy you should be ok--too much stress on the scalp/roots can cause the hair to pull out, so keep that in mind.

i shed A LOT when i took them out (all that shed hair that was trapped in braids) but i found the overall condition was great afterwards since the length had been protected and unwashed.

angelthadiva
March 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
My hair tends to grow pretty fast anyway, so I'm not sure if this is accurate, but the times I've had my hair braided (micro, boxed and cornrowed) my hair grew--The longest I've left them in was almost 2 months; but I had a lot of outgrowth, so I took them down. HTH

Anje
March 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I think so, but I had a lot of damage and dryness on my ends when I took my braids (not microbraids, but fairly skinny, all my own hair, and pre-LHC) out after a little over a week (they got quite fuzzy in that short period of time). So be seriously careful with your braids, and oil well.

burns_erin
March 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Yep, they will grow. Since your hair grows from your scalp, nothing you do from your length should affect what your hair does from the scalp (unless of course you are pulling it out or god forbid have set it on fire.)

Toadstool
March 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
Thank you everyone. It is just my own hair, not extensions.What oil should I put on them or is any leave-in conditioner okay?

Silverlox
March 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
If it's your own hair, the weight won't be a problem, unless you add really heavy beads or things at the end. The only thing to mind, is not to have it braided too tight, as that can also pull out hair at the roots. But I'm sure you'll be able to feel if any braid is tugging.

For me, coconut and jojoba oil works really well, but I would be very careful putting it on braids as it makes hair very slippery and can perhaps make the braids unravel. Leave-ins sound fine to me. I'd suggest that you do a heavy oiling, any type of oil that you have access to, when you're taking them out. It will make unbraiding and detangling a lot easier!

If you wash your hair with poo, you'll probably end up with fuzzy braids and it's very hard to rinse it all out, so be careful. I know that my scalp gets very upset if there is shampoo remaining on it. The best thing for your braids is to leave them be, or perhaps rinse in warm water if you feel you need to clean your head.

As always, YMMV. HTH :flower:

Toadstool
March 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
Thank you Silverlox. If I wash only with water,won't my hair smell? Also I am prone to seborrheic dermatitis so do you still think it's okay not to use shampoo?

Silverlox
March 3rd, 2009, 02:32 AM
Well, it depends whether you are in an environment which is smelly.

I, personally, do not find the natural scent of hair to be smelly. But when I worked at a fast food place, those deep fryers would really smell up my hair!

I think that the smell-thing could easily be overcome by doing a CO (conditioner-only-wash). Of course, I'm only speaking from my own experience and my scalp doesn't get angry if any conditioner is left on it, while it does break out in hysterics at the slightest trace of shampoo remains.

If you're just talking about the faint scent that naturally comes from the scalp and hair, I think you could easily "overpower" it by using a scented oil or just a normal conditioner.

Many people on these boards never wash with shampoo. Some use different herbs, baking soda, soapnuts, etc, some CO, others WO (water only) and some NW/SO (no-water and sebum-only). I don't think those practices would find many followers if they resulted in badly smelling hair.

What it all comes down to, basically, is that you have to decide where your own comfort level is and go from there.

Since I don't know anything about seborrheic dermatitis, I can't give any advice on how to treat that. I do have eczema prone skin, though, and generally my skin is happier the less soap I use on it, as it dries out and irritates my skin. Could it be the same with seborrheic dermatitis? Just guessing here.

Toadstool
March 3rd, 2009, 02:59 AM
Thank you again Silverlox for your time spent replying. CO washing sounds good. With seb derm you often have to use strong shampoos like anti-dandruff or coal tar as it's something to do with fungus that feeds on scalp oil so I don't know if not using them would be okay but I can just try it and see!

Silverlox
March 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
You're welcome! :D

If you need to use harsh anti-fungi remedies, then maybe you'd be a prime candidate for using monistat or similar on your scalp. It has definite anti-fungal effects and you could easily apply it to all your little parts while your hair is braided. Then perhaps you won't need any shampoos.

I think there's a thread about it... goes searching.. Yep! Here it is (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156).

This is of course provided you can get over the thought of where that particular cream is meant to be applied. Perhaps it will help to remember that the tube is new and has never been even close to the intended place of application? :p

Anyway, as I said before, I don't know anything about seb. dermatitis, it's just a suggestion off the top of my head because you mentioned anti-fungal remedies.

Since it's your hair, the important thing is that you feel comfortable with it and with the stuff you apply to your scalp. :flower:

Anje
March 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM
You might still be able to get away with WO. I got very fuzzy braids from shampooing them, and I've been WO on my scalp for a few weeks now (not my first time at WO). You get a slight "sebumy" odor (mildly unpleasant to the owner of the sebum, usually), but your hair really never starts to smell particularly offensive, and if you notice it, you rinse it.

Of course, that's coming from someone with a fairly happy scalp. My first recommendation, before smearing creams on any of the SD is to make a fairly strong diluted vinegar mix (perhaps 1 part vinegar in 4 parts water), and use it to rinse your scalp off. You can let it dry (the odor fades as it dries, though a few people keep smelling it once it's dry), or rinse it off. I'd go with letting it dry with the vinegar on. This should help the pH of your scalp a bit, and lots of people with scalp problems have great improvement just from rinsing with vinegar. It also seems to cut the sebum a bit better than water alone for me.

Supermodelsonya
March 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Sure it will...there was a lot of good advice here. Don't braid too tightly and don't use extensions...If you don't need them and you should be fine. As an African American, this style can grow your hair, no matter what... : )

kali_shey
March 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I'd imagine so, since there's not a lot you can do to your hair externally that would actually make it stop growing. However, hair that's tightly braided is damage-prone so I'd treat them really gently and use a lot of oil. Also watch out for headaches ..I think that's a sign you hair has been braided too tightly.

Good luck! :)