PDA

View Full Version : Wig Hair Halp

edensapples
March 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hi

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/dorthy3/Whimsy5.jpg

This was taken earlier. Anyone who can guess what I do for a living gets a :cheese:

:D

I had a longer straight wig last year, but I got this one recently because I thought the fluff would help cover the ever growing real hair bulge on the back of my head under the wig.

Anyway, what I was wondering earlier is.. does anyone have any ideas on how to protect my actual hair from all the damage wearing a wig might be doing to it? Wigs aren't exactly silk on the inside, though I do my best by putting it in a french braid or two and tacking the free peices back up on my scalp to fit under the wig/hide them from view.

I thought about getting a skullcap at the costume store the other day, but I'm worried about adding to the bulk.. wig already fits pretty snug.

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions welcome. And thanks!

Coriander
March 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
:rollin: I LOVE it!!!!!!!! You look great!!! :flower:

How about this - get a piece of satin or silk from the fabric store and line the inside of the wig with it? Or make a skullcap out of the fabric :) It won't add a lot of bulk but will keep your hair from snagging.

HTH :) Thanks for sharing that photo - its awesome.

p.s. I think you must be a clown ;)

edensapples
March 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM
Thank you Coriander! :)

Hey that might work, if I could find a red one that wouldn't show through at all.. the wig has some holes in it where you can see underneath. I think I will start looking for some scap silk just to try it - Thanks again!

oh and :cheese:

;)

dearladydisdain
March 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Are you wearing a wig/stocking cap underneath? I can't remember what they're called right now. We use those under the wigs in theatre :)

edensapples
March 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'm not. I looked at one the other day but decided against it, thinking it would

A) Add bulk

B) Be seen, (they are tan in color)

or

C) Help the wig slide off my head mid-performance ;)

mira-chan
March 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not. I looked at one the other day but decided against it, thinking it would

A) Add bulk

B) Be seen, (they are tan in color)

or

C) Help the wig slide off my head mid-performance ;)
I wear wigs for costumes for full 3 days at a time, though not for work. I wrap my hair a bit differently so not to make a bulge, bulk evenly distributed (instructions in articles section).

I also wear a wig cap. It does not make the wig slide off your head. You can also poke the pins through it and pin the wig to the hair. They come is various colors, most common being black, white and various shades of tan. Go to a wig store an ask what colors they have and they can match them to either your skin color or to wig color.

The stocking type caps do not add much bulk and compress the hair flatter and more evenly so it may help. They don't cost much ($2 or less usually) so can't hurt to try.