PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice that your hair photographs best when it looks worst???

joyfulmom4
March 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I had my dd take a pic of my hair today. It's positively *greasy* with oil. As in slightly slippery to touch. And it hangs like soggy noodles down my back. But gosh, does it ever look pretty and shiny in my pics. LOL! My latest sig pic is the greasy hair I'm talking about. My profile pic is another (must've been about day 5 after wash!) And I took some updo pics today also (have to get them posted) which look so wonderfully shiny (my does the grease ever reflect light!)

Am I the only one who notices this? My best pics are when my hair doesn't look good in person.

Coriander
March 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
:thud:

Beautiful hair!!!

I agree - mine looks best in photos when it's awfully greasy.

spidermom
March 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
haha - I don't know. You might be the only one. Out of every 3 or 4 pictures I have taken, I'm lucky if one is presentable, and I've usually washed, dried and combed it "just so" that very day.

spidermom
March 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
[quote=Coriander;485268]:thud:

Beautiful hair!!!
quote]

Oh yeh; sorry. I forgot to say that, but it's true.

AnneAdeline
March 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I just took my first picture with 3rd day hair. It looked much better than other pictures from when my hair is "clean".

P.S. I third the beautiful hair comment. Wow!

Teazel
March 1st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Another "beautiful hair! :thud:" from me!

The greasy thing doesn't work for me. The scalp hair tends to clump and show unwanted streaks of scalp - ugh! But my hair is a lot thinner than yours, joyfulmom4. :)

Finoriel
March 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
In updos somehow oily hair definitely looks better than freshly washed. Sleek and shiny and less houdini hair sneaking out of the braid or bun. :wink: I like that effect not only in pictures though.
Down? Not so much :p when itīs overly oily it looks very stringy. Not nice in real live and still not nice in photos... another straight hair special effect probably. Oiled hair for weavys or curlys "defines" the structure, hmm guess what happens when the structure of straight hair gets defined *rofl* ... good that I mostly wear it up anyways :cool:.

AprilElf
March 2nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
I think updo photos where my hair is greasy are better than when it's freshly washed. As for length pics - I haven't figured that one out yet. ;)

New sig pic is very pretty, joyfulmom4!

joyfulmom4
March 2nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
haha - I don't know. You might be the only one. Out of every 3 or 4 pictures I have taken, I'm lucky if one is presentable, and I've usually washed, dried and combed it "just so" that very day.

Well, your new sig pic is certainly lovely. Guess it depends on the hair type. Your pic is gorgeous here.

paper
March 2nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
:hmm: Next time my hair is dirty and/or looks bad, I'll have to take a picture and see. :)

Your hair is gorgeous!

GlebeGirl
March 2nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
When I was doing WO and documenting my results every picture I took to show how awful my roots were looked just fine in the photo! I was so frustrated. :D

Forest
March 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
I bet that greasy hair reflects light in a nice way, thus giving good photo results.

Have you checked if with or without flash makes a difference to this? I think my hair generally looks better in the pictures than in real life if I use a flash.

Aisha25
March 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
I dont really know. I always take my photos when my hair is oiled. I should one day,take a picture of them when they are freshly washed that way you guys can see how big and crazy they are without oil:lol:

JamieLeigh
March 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
All your hair photos look beautiful! I say, more power to the grease!!! :D (LOL, don't worry, mine is the same way ;))

Anje
March 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Gorgeous pic, joyfulmom4.

Unfortunately, mine hangs in strings when it gets oily, which does not photograph well. That said, my updos are working quite well, and my scalp is just on the good side of oily enough to have major scalp cleavage.

MusingFrog
March 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
I've noticed it as well. For me, an excellent hair day means the pictures will only come out so-so. I can start getting good pics a day or two after I wash - when the hair is still pretty clean but I'm starting to get a layer of oil over everything.

Some of my prettiest pics were back when I did WO for two months. Oh the shine!

Tap Dancer
March 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
My hair looks and photographs best when it's clean.

vamq
March 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
My hair tends to look better on pictures when it's a bit greasy, but then it doesn't look good in real live
See the picture in my avatar? It was greasy as hell there, but it sure looks shiny ^^

When it's freshly washed, I think it looks the best in real live, but it tends to look totally frizzy and messy in the pictures..

Isn't that ironic?

freznow
March 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Mine doesn't work that way - when it's greasy it becomes really stringy and I get scalp cleavage and such much more readily than when it's just washed. It doesn't seem to shine much more either.

cuddledumplin
March 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Mine looks really shiny when it's greasy, and when I haven't combed or done anything to it, it looks amazing.

joyfulmom4
March 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
What is scalp cleavage? Is that when your hair sortof "parts" itself at the scalp in places you don't want it to?

AprilElf
March 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
Yup - I think that's a pretty good definition of 'scalp cleavage'. :)

Bene
March 3rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
i tend to avoid taking hair pics when it's time for a wash. i should give it a shot :D