PDA

View Full Version : Leave-in conditioner recipe

FallenAngel
March 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
I'm looking for a recepie of home made leave-in conditioner. Spray or in a pump bottle - that kind of consistency.

I'm going to use it on my girls hair mostly. I need something to protect a little, something that makes their hair easier to brush/comb and something that I can use when I braid in the evenings so they can get "princess locks" in the morning. :)

I use Body Shop's Amlika leave-in now, and it is good, but it is expensive. Also, I'm not so found of the 'cones in it. Alternatives would be very much appreciated!

I know you guys already have recepies of EVERYTHING here, but I suck at using the search function...

AmyJorgensen
March 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Pardon my ignorant question...could someone tell me why cones are bad? I'm halfway thinking of switching away after I finish my current bottle...but I need some reasons.

Heidi_234
March 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Pardon my ignorant question...could someone tell me why cones are bad? I'm halfway thinking of switching away after I finish my current bottle...but I need some reasons.
Well, they lock moisture out, mask damage, build up (and needed to be clarified with relatively harsh detergent) and weigh down the hair (which is a con for some people, not everybody).
They have pros too, some people do prefer cones, so there isn't really right or wrong, just what works for you.

Heidi_234
March 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
FallenAngel, here's a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20799) I started not so long ago, there are some nice suggestions there.

FallenAngel
March 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
AmyJorgenssen - For me it's personal! ;) I have always believed that my hair does not like conditioner, because it got flat and "dead". After I reluctantly let a person sell me a bottle of "non-coney" conditoner (she frankly told me that "you don't want your hair to look like THAT *pointing at my hair* anyway. Try this!), I've learned that my hair actually loves to be conditioned. But with cones, it dies. Can't describe it better, sorry.

My oldest daughter does not have that problem with her hair, but my youngest has... They both have straigth hair, but very different in type.

It would be convenient if we all could use the same stuff, at least when they are as young as they are now (5 and 3 ).

FallenAngel
March 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Heidi - Didn't see your reply! Thanks!

Heidi_234
March 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
You're absolutely welcome.

DolphinPrincess
March 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM
My personal spray leave-in is a small squirt of whatever regular conditioner you like (I have suave vanilla floral in mine), an even smaller amount of sweet almond oil, end enough water to make 4 oz. I usually add in a few drops of sweet orange eo as well, makes it a yummy creamsicle scent. I personally can't use aloe gel in my hair, it absolutely despises it, but just loves this, or just straight coconut oil, in moderate amounts. Hope you find something good for you!