PDA

View Full Version : non animal (including milk and silk) protein treatments

truepeacenik
March 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hey all, I'm trying to locate a VEGAN only condish/ treatment that has protein.
milk and silk derivatives are a no no and my hair hates honey, so all vegan I go.
Is there such as thing as a wheat protein treatment (I'd consider shampoo, but I love my current poo bars)?

ratgirldjh
March 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
what about molasses? it has some protein

amiaow
March 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Try A'kin Macadamia and Wheat Protein conditioner! :)

Oskimosa
March 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Could you use soy milk? I think that has protien.

I could be totally wrong, but don't some people use flat beer in conditioner to add protein? Just a thought...

Anje
March 2nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
I see wheat protein in products all the time (particularly when I was looking for solid conditioner bars on Etsy). I try to avoid the protein, but I'm sure there are vegan recipes out there...

ETA: Here, for example. (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5253761&section_id=5291544) No experience with the seller or product, though.

Bluebell
March 2nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Coconutmilk works great! I leave it in whole night and wash it out in the morning. It leaves me with extremely soft hair.
It comes in a can and you can buy it in a supermarket.

AmandaPanda
March 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Giovanni uses soybean protein. They have a leave-in treatment and a deep treatment with it. The deep conditioner does contain a cone though...I'm not sure if you want to avoid those

truepeacenik
March 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
thanks for the many replies. I am flabbergasted that I never thought of coconut milk. I ran almond milk through the "could this work?" process. It failed.

Moonstruck
March 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Not vegan, but you could try silk proteins, I think. Amino acids are the building blocks for proteins as well, like lysine, though if you're looking to be vegan, you may have an issue because you don't know what was the source of those proteins.
Some list wheat protein as wheat germ - anything germ is protein, I think.

Anje
March 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Any chance you could soak in soy milk? No idea how it would work, but it's vegan and protein-y. Soy yogurt as a pack, maybe?

Naluin
March 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM
This might be too much work, but what about silken tofu? Maybe you could whip it up a bit with honey and aloe SMT-style and then smoosh it on your head?

Just a thought. :o

It'd be a bit less runny than coconut milk.