PDA

View Full Version : help with 5 year olds tangly hair!!!

seethruugirl
March 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hello everyone! I am a newbie/lurker to this site...trying to shuffle through all of the great info! My daughter and I BOTH have super thick hair and both is pretty dry...we get regular trims and I have been hennaing my hair and doing co washes on both of our hair. The henna has done wonders for my hair and the softness and mositure of it allthough I could always use more....but, I can't henna her hair since she's 5....I try to braid it at night when its wet because she is such a wild sleeper that she wakes up in the morning with her hair in knots!!!! I don't know what to do...its a big fight in the morning to get it combed through...right now we co with dove conditioners...I'm open to homeade/organic storebought things I just have no clue what to use or what to do. I would love for both of us to have shiny healthy soft hair.... I would appreciate any suggestions! Also, our hair is mid back...BSL for me and about the same for her. Thank you! Robyn

neon-dream
March 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Have you tried coconut oil?
That did wonders for my tangles!

OhioLisa
March 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM
Maybe wash her hair in the mornings so you can comb her hair with conditioner in it. It would definitely give you enough slip to get the tangles out easier. Just an idea. :)

earthdancer
March 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Have you tried using a silk pillow for her at night, in addition to the braids? It allows hair to slide without getting mussed up.

Also, what kind of comb are you using on her hair? You might find that a pick or very wide tooth comb will cut down on a lot of the grief. And make sure you start combing at the ends (ie, starting up about 3 inches from the bottom, combing down to the ends, then up about 4-5 inches, combing down to the ends, and gradually work your way up to the top so that you aren't making knots and tangles on the way down. You probably know this already. I thought I would mention it, though, because I can't let my husband comb my hair: he starts right off at my crown and tries to pull the comb all the way through to the ends, and my hair just ends up in a big furry ball that I have to spend a lot of time untangling.:(

seethruugirl
March 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
thank you so much for all of the advice. We do use a wide tooth comb. I might try to find a silk pillowcase and give that a shot. I don't wash her hair everyday so I can't comb it wet everyday.... I would just love to find something that makes the condition of her hair better. Its like its damaged hair but, its never been touched by chemical treatments. Its so dry....how do you use the coconut oil? Thanks again for the responses I really appreciate it! Robyn

earthdancer
March 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
I love coconut oil, but you have to experiment to get the amount right. Try just a dab to make your palms a little shiny and touch the hair very lightly on the ends, then all over. You can always add more, but you can't subtract. Or you might try using the oil before shampooing.

My length is so dry now in the winter that I can put straight mayonnaise on it before I shampoo, and without using any shampoo on the part with mayo on it, it rinses out looking just fine, not oily at all! You may be able to that with her hair if it is really, really dry.

OhioLisa
March 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Which Dove conditioner are you using exactly? Some of their conditioners have cones in them, which could be building up on her hair.

cowgirllong
March 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
I feel for you. I have a 5yo with normal, straight hair and it gets nasty if I forget to braid it before bed. Just using conditioner usually works for us. We use Garnier Fructis Length and Strength if we need it. I've never used Dove, so I am not sure what it is like. I hope you find a good solution, because I know how much fun this is for both of you. Good luck!

karisaf
March 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
You might want to check out the Tangle Teezer - it works really well on my 4yo's tangly hair. You have to order it from the UK, but shipping is reasonable and it arrives very quickly.

Teazel
March 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
There could be build-up. Try a root-to-tip clarifying shampoo first so you can see what you're really dealing with.

Adding honey to my conditioner (not in the bottle, just adding a squirt of liquid honey to my hair in the shower) has really helped to moisturise my hair.

I feel for you and your daughter - I can still remember the pain and frustration of my mother trying to detangle my waistlength hair when I was about 8. Then she discovered conditioner and all was well. :D

manderly
March 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
thank you so much for all of the advice. We do use a wide tooth comb. I might try to find a silk pillowcase and give that a shot. I don't wash her hair everyday so I can't comb it wet everyday.... I would just love to find something that makes the condition of her hair better. Its like its damaged hair but, its never been touched by chemical treatments. Its so dry....how do you use the coconut oil? Thanks again for the responses I really appreciate it! Robyn

Just because you don't wash it doesn't mean you can't wet it :D

Get a spray bottle, put a healthy squirt of your favorite leave-in/detangler/conditioner and fill with distilled water.

Shake and spritz her hair down every morning and glory at the ease of slippery damp hair!

Deborah
March 2nd, 2009, 12:47 AM
You might want to check out the Tangle Teezer - it works really well on my 4yo's tangly hair. You have to order it from the UK, but shipping is reasonable and it arrives very quickly.

I second the Tangle Teezer recommendation. It works great, and is worth every penny. I gave some to relatives at Christmas. My niece with a one year old and a three year old daughter says hers saves so much time and aggravation. The girls actually like having their hair brushed in the morning now.

Here's a link to the place I purchased mine from:

http://www.afrocare.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=3289&substring=

They have the best price I could find on the 'net.

patissegrietje
March 2nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
I'd also say you might need to clarify and re-condition her hair.
A silk pillowcase is also a great recommendation, it really helps!

seethruugirl
March 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
you all are so great!!! Thank you so much for all of the help! I'm going to give it a shot...I'll let you know how it works out! Thank you again! Robyn

Forest
March 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Maybe she needs more moisture than what the Dove conditioner gives? I don't have suggestions on specific brand names since I am living in Sweden, but I am thinking a "heavier" conditioner or a deep treatment after the CO-wash.

Are you using any leave-in conditioner? That might also be a good idea.

Good luck! :)

ravman
March 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Sounds like I have the same problems with my hair that your daughter does.

This is what I do and it does work for me. I wash my hair every other day and use Aussie Deep conditioner for conditioning.

Once a week I use Neutrogena Revitalizing Shampoo to clear all the products out of my hair. And then condition with Paul Mitchell Super Strong Treatment (you don't have to use this).

After washing my hair, or when I wake up, I spray in a leave in conditioner called Infusium 23 (RepairLogic). I can then comb my hair using a wide toothed comb without any problems. Trust me, without the Infusium 23, I would be go nuts trying to comb my hair.

If you still want to brush your kids hair (not comb), use a boar bristle brush. They work great for thick hair.

Melisande
March 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
There are special detangling sprays for children and they are good but expensive. As Manderley said already, a spray bottle, some distilled water, nice conditioner and some drops of jojoba oil make a great mixture for my daughter's hair (it's classic length, and she's a ten year old with loads of energy).

I keep it braided for her day and night, very soft hair elastics. I comb her hair with a wide toothed horn comb and smoothe it with a soft brush when it's detangled.

Tangles breed new tangles.

Coconut oil and especially monoi tiare are great helpers when the hair is very very tangled.