PDA

View Full Version : Feye's self-trim video

Firefly
March 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has a link to a video of Feye's Self-Trimming method. I attempted to do a V trim this morning and it came out straight across. Some of the written directions are a little unclear to me, so I really need the detail of a video visual! TIA!!

Firefly

Aisha25
March 1st, 2009, 11:41 AM
I dont think there is a video. If there is I havent seen it:shrug: Are you tilting your head while trimming so that it is a V shape??

Firefly
March 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the reply, Aisha! This is the part that's confusing me... I am tilting my head all the way back while combing it, then after I grasp the bottom part, I look back down at the ends where I'm going to cut. Am I supposed to keep my head tilted the whole time? Also, when I make the cut, do I trim straight across, or at an angle?

Thanks again for your help!

Firefly

earthdancer
March 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has a link to a video of Feye's Self-Trimming method. I attempted to do a V trim this morning and it came out straight across.
Firefly

I'm so jealous! I always try to do straight across and end up with a V (or at least a U). I much prefer straight across, but getting it is almost impossible for me. PS: I won't let anyone else near my hair with a sharp instrument; my husband can't tell the difference between 1 inch and 3 inches, and the hair dressers and barbers in my town can't cut hair, period. Even my husband cuts his own hair after having to re-cut it every time he came home from a shop.

Aisha25
March 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM
DOnt cut at an angle it is straight across this is what feye told me and it worked for me. From what I understand you tilt back then grab the ends then look at the hair bring it up and cut straight across. This should give you a V shape.

pdy2kn6
March 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
i don't think there is one either, but i would love it if she did make (or someone did) make one, it would be great to see how people do it

Firefly
March 1st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I think I am going wrong in the tilting my head part. I will experiment next time and see how it goes.

I second the vote for someone to do a video tutorial!! :D

teela1978
March 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
For the V-cut, you'll get a very shallow V by tilting your head back. If you tilt forewards you'll get a much deeper v. Once you have hair trapped between your fingers, you can move your head (don't move your fingers again though...). I usually tilt my head back and get a shallower v. This all probably changes depending on how flexible your neck is :)

Firefly
March 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, I think what you said solidified something for me, Teela-- are you saying that I tilt the head back, clasp the hair, then move my head without shifting the hair I'm holding? If so, then I know for sure that I did something wrong-- I felt the hair shift in my fingers when I straightened my head.

teela1978
March 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
That would be part of it. If you want a deep v, you might also want to try bending your neck forward too though (well, tucking your chin as much as possible anyway). It kinda lets the sides of your hair get cut more than the back of your hair if that makes any sense.

Firefly
March 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Thank you, Teela!

tiny_teesha
March 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
What teela said, if you tilt your head back the V is less noticeable then tilting forward. Brush the hair down while hair is tilted, grasp the ends you want to cut and then move your hair without moving the grasp, or keep your head in that position, then snip straight across and it will look like a V from the back!
Sorry i don't have a video.

Feye
March 2nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
Hello! There is currently no video, but I can say that for a deeper V, just look straight forward while you grab your ends. If you tilt you head back the V will be very slight. Tilting the head forward to look toward the ground will give a very dramatic V I believe, although I haven't tried it myself.

Feye
March 2nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
Oh, and one more thing. After combing the hair, grab hold of it and don't let it shift.

Should I make a video? I could try next weekend.

oneKnight
March 2nd, 2009, 02:10 AM
Could someone re-post the link for the instructions? I've lost them.

Isilme
March 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim Just google feye's hair trmming instruction!:)

Firefly
March 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks so much everyone, for your help... with a special nod to Feye-- nothing like getting help right from the source! LOL And yes Feye, even though I have a better picture in my head now about what I'm supposed to do, I'd LOVE to see a video!!

Firefly

TammySue
March 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Feye, I would love to see a video! (How odd though that I always thought that tilting the head forward looking toward the ground gave more of a blunt straight across cut. That's what I always do and I don't have a V.) ??

Thanks! :)

Pixna
March 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Should I make a video? I could try next weekend.

Even though I'm on a no-trim kick for this year (I've GOT to get some length!!!), I'd love to see a video, Feye. I think that's a terrific idea. I've used your method for so many years, so seeing it in action -- from the Legend herself! -- would be fantastic! :bowtome:

Aisha25
March 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
She is a legend and I bow:bowtome: to her:D

AmandaPanda
March 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Feye, I would love to see a video! (How odd though that I always thought that tilting the head forward looking toward the ground gave more of a blunt straight across cut. That's what I always do and I don't have a V.) ??

Thanks! :)

I thought this, too (I thought I read it in the instructions). This is what I've been doing lately, and I've been getting blunt ends. Once it looked like I got a bit of a reverse U/V - the sides looked longer than the middle

Fairlight63
March 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
That would be GREAT if you would make us a video! :happydance:

Thank you!

Feye
March 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
You are all too sweet, you make me blush. :flower:

Tammy and Amanda, you are probably following the straight-across trim with the ponytail? It works best when tilting the head forward to look towards the ground. For the V-instructions it's the opposite, unless you're looking for a dramatic V. (I just tried first the V-shape and then the straight-across shape for the first time since I came back here, and my hair is now 1,5 now inch shorter, hmm. At least now I've refreshed my knowledge on them!)

OK, I will look into making a video. Would anyone know where to upload it? I'm not sure that I'm ready for Youtube, I'd just like to upload it and link to it in the instructions.

Akiko
March 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Would anyone know where to upload it? I'm not sure that I'm ready for Youtube, I'd just like to upload it and link to it in the instructions.

Video will be great! How about photobucket? You can upload videos, too. Your album can be set private. Then people cannot do random search with google, yahoo, etc., I think.

Aisha25
March 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Video will be great! How about photobucket? You can upload videos, too. Your album can be set private. Then people cannot do random search with google, yahoo, etc., I think. But you can link or embed it in your instructions.
Hey I did not know that thank you so much akiko!!!
*goes to take video off youtube*

Akiko
March 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hey I did not know that thank you so much akiko!!!
*goes to take video off youtube*

You are welcome, Aisha. Photobucket offers more options for private settings than YouTube. You can set a password if you want.

I upload all my photos for LHC to Photobucket. My album is set private without a password. So people can see my pictures in my posts. But my pics cannot be searched.

Here (http://photobucket.com/faq?catID=40&catSelected=f&topicID=651) is info on privacy settings at Photobucket.

Feye
March 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hi Akiko, thank you! I will definitely look into that

tabitie
March 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Thankyou Teela1978, for the tip about tucking the chin under and bending the neck like a U-joint plumbing pipe for a *deeper V*!

Thank you Feye for this wonderful information.

The $70 at the hair dresser's breathing chemicals for a crappy cut is just another tax I can do without... and since the hair grows so slowly in the center and "reverse-V" doesn't look good-- I will be able to trim more often and keep it looking much better!

mooglewoo
March 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Gasp, that looks so easy! and trims costs me $15. I'll try this next time!

jojo
March 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
what i have found the straighter the head is held up the straighter the hemline and vice versa