PDA

View Full Version : I officially give up.

baobhan sith
March 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Well, i don't, because if i had i wouldn't be still posting here with fingers crossed.

I have spent all day trying to to a french twist/pleat/roll. And I can't.

I must have tried about 50 times today, because i really like the style and want to do it. I would be able to do it if my hair were shorter - I can do it where it stops at the top, i can even to it where you fold it from the top and it ends at the bottom.

But what I CAN'T do with my BSL hair, is do it up, then down, then up again. Or down, then up, then down again. I've looked up god only knows how many different instructions, even for up to classic length hair!

The classic length one basically said that you just start with the low pony, and fold it up until it's a suitable length. This would be okay if my hair were LONG enough to fold it in half, then back down again, but i need to fold it to half way ( so it's 2/3 of the original length) and it all comes out. Doesn't help that i've got a pretty bad taper.

I've given up for now, (i had to put my hair in a braided ponytail to stop me going back for "one last try" every few minutes) but if anyone's got any help or ideas i would really appreciate it!

http://flyspray.silverwraith.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=183&g2_serialNumber=2
http://flyspray.silverwraith.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=184&g2_serialNumber=2

I want it to look like that. All smooth and neat! i can't even get it to that messy though, so i'm working on messy first. And now i'm looking at them full size, I'm wondering if a french pleat and a french twist are actually the same thing, or similar looking!

HairColoredHair
March 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Do what works for you! I do up down up periodically. Sometimes if you twist it more once it's all twisted up/down/up it'll look just like a french twist.

baobhan sith
March 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Do what works for you! I do up down up periodically. Sometimes if you twist it more once it's all twisted up/down/up it'll look just like a french twist.

Here's the problem! NOTHING works for me. Honestly. all of them fall out/apart, look a complete mess, don't work at all, or i keep getting this weird bouncy thing at the back of my head above the twist... I'm not sure what's with that.

Rhea
March 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Here is a very good instruction , perhaps it will help to you .
http://www.ficcare.com/videosEmbed.asp?media=windows&id=french_twist

kdaniels8811
March 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
I put mine in a low pony and twist, raise the length to the top of my head and fold under... THere is a loop at the top so it does not look like a classic french twist but it is smooth and looks pretty. My hair is really fine and is BSL. I found the best instructions on the flexi 8 website, they helped immensely! Good luck, it is frustrating when your hair just won't cooperate.

GlennaGirl
March 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Here's a YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpKp-7MJB7Q&feature=PlayList&p=5107FB596590D74F&playnext=1&index=16) of doing a French twist using a comb (you can also use pins for invisibility; a barrette at the top, which looks pretty; or hair sticks, BUT I wouldn't recommend those yet since you feel you're all thumbs just with the twist. You're not alone in this, don't worry...).

Periwinkle
March 1st, 2009, 11:34 AM
I think that the French twist might just be one of those styles that's highly dependant on length.

A couple of inches ago, I could do them really easily and wore it a lot. That proves that my brain can cope with it ;)

Now, though, there's absolutely no way I can get it to work. I've got too much hair to twist but not enough to fold, and it's too thick for a log roll at this length (though I think that will work when it's longer).

I can't see this ever becoming a viable style for me again simply because I'm very self-conscious about having hair that looks like there's a large quantity of it (as in thickness, not length!). Even folded at this length, it's too 'lumpy' for my liking, and that will only get worse as I get more hair.

baobhan sith
March 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM
Here's a YouTube (http://creditidentitysafe.com/prevention/itac-weighs-in-on-identity-theft-in-2009.htm) of doing a French twist using a comb (you can also use pins for invisibility; a barrette at the top, which looks pretty; or hair sticks, BUT I wouldn't recommend those yet since you feel you're all thumbs just with the twist. You're not alone in this, don't worry...).

Uhhh... hate to tell you glennagirl, but that's not youtube...

spidermom
March 1st, 2009, 11:44 AM
I can't do the french twist anymore either. I've tried but it seems that there's too much weight; nothing holds; it all falls down. I officially give up too.

GlennaGirl
March 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Uhhh... hate to tell you glennagirl, but that's not youtube...

I'm sorry, I copied and pasted the wrong link! Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpKp-7MJB7Q&feature=PlayList&p=5107FB596590D74F&playnext=1&index=16 and I'll go to my original post and correct it there.

I have more than one tab open!

baobhan sith
March 1st, 2009, 11:55 AM
I put mine in a low pony and twist, raise the length to the top of my head and fold under... THere is a loop at the top so it does not look like a classic french twist but it is smooth and looks pretty. My hair is really fine and is BSL. I found the best instructions on the flexi 8 website, they helped immensely! Good luck, it is frustrating when your hair just won't cooperate.

Hmm... I tried that :/ Maybe i have a small head or something, but it didn't come out as a loop at the top. I looked faintly reminiscent of a teletubby.

I'm sorry, I copied and pasted the wrong link! Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpKp-7MJB7Q&feature=PlayList&p=5107FB596590D74F&playnext=1&index=16 and I'll go to my original post and correct it there.

I have more than one tab open!

:laugh: never mind. I saw lots of videos like that, which work fine, up until my hair sticks out of the bottom because it's too long... She had a really pretty comb though! I WANT one of those!

Well... Failed to work out how to navigate the flexi-8 site at all. But they did what they set out to do...

I want a flexi-8 as well as a comb now! in fact, i think i want lots...

I can't do the french twist anymore either. I've tried but it seems that there's too much weight; nothing holds; it all falls down. I officially give up too.

I think that the French twist might just be one of those styles that's highly dependant on length.
I can't see this ever becoming a viable style for me again simply because I'm very self-conscious about having hair that looks like there's a large quantity of it (as in thickness, not length!). Even folded at this length, it's too 'lumpy' for my liking, and that will only get worse as I get more hair.

Noo! There's not allowed to be other people giving up! It has to be because i'm useless. I dont' want to have to cut to use this style...

baobhan sith
March 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM

Anje
March 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I can't do one either, nor could I manage it at your length. Wrapping around the hand should make for an easier version of folding, but I haven't figured out a sufficiently secure way to keep the loops of hair from popping out the bottom as the french twist sags.

It's OK... You don't have to be able to do a french twist to be a long hair. In fact, lots of folks outgrow them sooner or later.

ladiosaRosa
March 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Oh, don't give up :no:.....I 'practiced' for years. But it's true, if your hair is too long, it'll give you more of a challenge.

MusingFrog
March 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Have you tried doing it as though your hair were the right length, then just "randomly" pushing the excess hair into the fold? If I have excess hair I just give it a twist and tuck it in the fold. If it pops out I put it back and stick a bobby pin in too to hold it there.

BTW, I'm not sure what you are using to hold this up, but I couldn't get this until I used a French twist comb. Not to mention, I feel your pain, I spent literally years trying to get this style to work. It finally worked around hip length. So keep at it.