PDA

View Full Version : Cutting soon?!

emeraldfaery
February 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I admit I haven't been thinking about this for the advised 2 weeks, but I feel the need to cut. My hair is 37.75 inches long and though it's in okay condition I just feel like it's always in the way and bothering me. I never wear it down anymore cause I don't like the way it looks and to tell the truth, short hair looked great on me. I was looking through pictures a few minutes ago from when I drastically cut it in 2006. I loved it! I just wanted some opinions and stories from others who love having long hair, but choose to cut and are still happy with it. Thank you all!

manderly
February 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
How short are you thinking of cutting it?

What made you want to grow it out?

Did you miss long hair when you cut it short?

These are some things to consider :) If you truly want your hair shorter, go for it. If you change your mind, it does grow :) Just make sure you're doing it for good reasons, and not just some sense of boredom or anything :flower:

feralnature
February 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I just looked at you album and your hair is sure pretty. I also wonder how short you have in mind to cut it?

kam984420
February 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
If i were you, i would leave it long. It looks like its in excellent shape to me. You look alot older in long hair. Leave it long. If you cut, you'll regret it.

OhioLisa
February 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM
If you really want to cut THAT bad, perhaps do it in stages. A little cut might go a long way in helping you feel good about your hair again. :)

Omens
February 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Cutting hasn't always been something I've regretted. Sometimes you just need the change in order to feel better about your hair. I've cut really short before (by my standards, anyway; up to my chin almost), and sometimes it was what I wanted at the time and I was very pleased with it and never felt any disappointment. But for me though, I always go back to growing it, so I've realized cutting is only a temporary desire that fades within a year or two.

It sounds like you enjoy the look of shorter hair on you. If you really believe that it is better that way, then cutting it probably is something you should consider. Also, some people like the easier maintanance that short hair offers. Keep in mind though that if you like keeping it up, cutting it too short might mean not being able to do the same styles you did while it was long. Just something to think about.

I would say, personally, don't cut. Wait. (Keep in mind that I'm biased because I think your hair is lovely.) Wait a few months if you can. Though everyone says "it grows back", well, it takes them 20 minutes to hack it off, then years for you to regrow it from a short haircut (depending on how short you plan to go, that is). Also, you could think about just changing it up, maybe getting a haircut, but something not all that short. You can always get it cut shorter, as it's the getting it longer that's the hard part ;)

Anyway, do what you think's best for you. In the end, you're the one who has to maintain the hair and enjoy it, not anybody else. So make sure you really love it. :)

fairydust
March 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM
I cut my long hair short in stages, and ended up with a pixie cut in the end. I'm now growing it out, and while I do like the short cut look on myself, I hate the regular maintenance. Long hair is easier in that respect, IMO, that you don't have to do much anything style-wise, other than take care of it and let it be. Short hair is great, but it's a hassle, IMHO. I, too, suggest you cut it shorter in stages if you really want to lose some of the length; that way you wont end up losing a lot of length in one, big chop, but can still enjoy the feel of shorter hair. Hope this helps a least a little bit :).

Carolyn
March 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM
When my hair is about your length, it gets to be a PITA. I've found a 2" trim can alleviate that. I always recommend cutting in small stages. Often a little trim can solve the problem without losing a year or two growth.

emeraldfaery
March 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM
Thank you everyone for your answers! They were very helpful. I was thinking of cutting it to shoulder length like I did a few years ago. I didn't really regret my big chop, though I did miss my hair once in awhile. I just felt like I was missing out on having short hair cause I ALWAYS had it long. I'll think about it some more and make sure I really want to cut it.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!! :flower:

Chrissy
March 1st, 2009, 07:34 AM
Well I'm one who cut my hair. For me it was for all the wrong reasons. I was in a rough time in my life....well we were getting ready to move cross country and trying to sell our house....yadda yadda....so I got an urge to cut. It was something I could control. It was the dumbest thing I ever did. I went from almost 30" to pixie length. Stoooopid!!!

At first I was happy but not that long after I really missed my hair. So now I'm on the growing journey once again. Now I realize you may have your own reasons for cutting. If you must cut I would do just a little at a time. I went the whole way....drastic.

At least if you only do a little at a time you will realize if it's what you really want. The less you cut is better in case you change your mind. Then you won't have years of growing to do before you get back what you lost.

It took me about 5 yrs to get to my longest. Now I'm starting over. It's been almost a year since I cut. I have had a trim to get rid of the mullett look I had. Also for me since I'm older it bugs me that I will be OLDER when I get back my hair.

I hope this is making sense. I would think really long and hard about this before you do it. Maybe put the pros and cons down on a piece of paper. In the end there is no sin in cutting it does grow back but...it takes a long time!!!

I wish you well in whatever you decide. I hope you will be happy with whatever you do.

hairymonster
March 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM
I'm somewhat in the same position as you are now. My hair is halfway between tailbone and classic and have been contemplating a cut for over a year but never got round to it.

I have cut my hair from over 55" to just over 20" late 2006. Was in shock for a short while, but haven't looked back since. I have enjoyed my new and growing length every step of the way till today. Having experienced the growing process a second time round, I have found that tailbone is a nice length for me as it's where I am able to do my favourite updo easily. However, I look older the longer my hair gets past waist length, so I'm considering trimming back.

I noticed that your goal is 42", which isn't that far away. Wouldn't you like to reach your goal first before cutting back to your favourite length?

Johanna64
March 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM
I looked at your album too and your hair is really beautiful and healthy!!
I love this length and I hope you don't regret it!

emeraldfaery
March 3rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Well, I did it! It's at 21.5" right now and I love it! There was no talking me out of it because when I get a notion in my head I have to do it RIGHT NOW. I'm impulsive. It feels so light and it's not in my way now. I disagree with the person (can't remember) who said short hair is more work. Unless you're keeping a layered cut updated I don't see how it could be more work. I feel like I can do more things with it now that I couldn't do with long hair cause it was heavy and gave me headaches. Also, I think I was meant to have short hair! It just looks right on me.

Thank you all for your advice and comments!!

JamieLeigh
March 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
As long as you're happy with your decision! If you want to grow back, you can always do so. The important thing is, YOU are happy! :)

emeraldfaery
March 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Exactly! And I am very happy. When I cut it I felt like I was on Cloud9, dancing around the room and everything. It's a great feeling to be totally at peace with something.

Silver & Gold
March 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
How to wear your hair is such a personal decision. But I do recommend (as others have) that you try cutting it in stages. I looked through your picture album and I thought your hair looked quite nice at several different lengths. Perhaps the waist length was my favorite. But even at the current length I think your hair looks fine and healthy. So any cut you choose to do (or not to do) is simply a matter of personal preference. You needn't worry that it looks bad or needs a drastic cut.

Silver & Gold
March 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Ooops, I posted my reply after you posted that you did the cut. I'm so glad that you like it. You'll have to post pictures when you are able.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I'd love to see pictures, too. I was going to advise "just do it," but you already did it. You have a lot of hair-growing years ahead of you (if you so choose). No need to get stuck in a style rut at your age.

emeraldfaery
March 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Yes, pictures! I plan on getting it layered around my face a little and evened up later today, but here it is. Sorry if this upsets anyone. It gives a good refrence of how long it was though.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o62/lilymaiden521/DSC05105513x684398x531.jpg

Shanarana
March 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Yes, pictures! I plan on getting it layered around my face a little and evened up later today, but here it is. Sorry if this upsets anyone. It gives a good refrence of how long it was though.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o62/lilymaiden521/DSC05105513x684398x531.jpg

My, that's quite the chop. You did that yourself I'm guessing. Will you be going to a salon for layers or are you going to do them yourself.

Silver & Gold
March 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM

Awww, thanks for sharing. Your smile says it all. I hope that the layering turns out the way you want it and that you have a lot of fun with your new hair style.

Jason
March 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
I just wanted to say how lovely your hair is at its current length but whatever makes you the happiest!

naomimcc
March 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hey hey...I posted almost the same thread a few weeks ago, got a ton of AWESOME responses and I still haven't cut it. I really really want to, and I've been talking about it for over a year now... but I'm PETRIFIED of cutting it.

spidermom
March 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hey hey...I posted almost the same thread a few weeks ago, got a ton of AWESOME responses and I still haven't cut it. I really really want to, and I've been talking about it for over a year now... but I'm PETRIFIED of cutting it.

Ah well; better wait until you're sure or seized by a moment of sheer madness, eh?

edensapples
March 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
If it were me, I'd be back here whining about how long it takes to grow within a month of cutting it.

I am very glad the OP is happy with it though.

Silver & Gold
March 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Ah well; better wait until you're sure or seized by a moment of sheer madness, eh?

Hee hee, 'sheer madness'. You is very, very punny. :bounce:

emeraldfaery
March 3rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Shanarana: Yes, I did it myself. I'm afraid to attempt layers though. I just want some shorter pieces around my face.

So true. That's what happened to me. I hadn't been thinking about it at all. The idea just popped into my head and I ran with it.

And thank you again for all the other encouraging responses!:flower:

spidermom
March 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hee hee, 'sheer madness'. You is very, very punny. :bounce:
I guess it comes naturally because I didn't even know I'd done it until you pointed it out.

oldgregg
March 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Please don't

U will miss it when it's gone

and u can braid it or bun it, but don't cut it

U will miss it

Think how long it will take to grow back too