PDA

View Full Version : Bhringraj oil is making me shed-should I stop using it?

Yedda
February 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
A few weeks ago, I purchased some Hesh bhringraj oil.

My hair sheds when I apply the oil. I personally do not have any issue with shedding on a regular basis. I really see very few hairs in the bathtub or on my clothes, or on my hands, comb, or brush when I use them.

It's only when I use the oil that I shed a little more. It doesn't cause me to continue to shed for days or anything like that, only when applying the oil.

I thought maybe I was applying it too rough or not the right way, but I went and got a scalp massage today and asked her about it, and she said I shed more hairs when using the oil too. (rather than a scalp massage with no oil)

Any ideas on why this is happening and if I should stop using the oil?:confused:

ratgirldjh
February 28th, 2009, 01:58 PM
i always notice my hair shedding while i am in the act of applying oil. this could be because of the mechanical manipulation necessary while applying the oil. i massage the coconut oil onto my scalp and then run it down my hairs.

but the benefits of oiling outweigh the slight shedding to me.

also i have found that if i brush my hair well with a BBB before applying the oil that i get out the hairs that will shed before i oil - that seems to help. before i did this i would find hair all over my oily hands - yuck!

oh - and maybe you should try just oiling with coconut or olive oil and see if you still have the shedding while oiling.

ChloeDharma
February 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I find that with the hesh bhringraj oil i initially shed more for a while but after a while that slows down. Personally i would continue for a month or 6 weeks and if the shedding continues then consider another oil. I did manage to gain a ponytail circumference of 150% while using that oil though so i consider it worth persevering with.

Yedda
February 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
i always notice my hair shedding while i am in the act of applying oil. this could be because of the mechanical manipulation necessary while applying the oil. i massage the coconut oil onto my scalp and then run it down my hairs.

but the benefits of oiling outweigh the slight shedding to me.

also i have found that if i brush my hair well with a BBB before applying the oil that i get out the hairs that will shed before i oil - that seems to help. before i did this i would find hair all over my oily hands - yuck!

oh - and maybe you should try just oiling with coconut or olive oil and see if you still have the shedding while oiling.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one.:)

Brushing the hair prior sounds like a good idea, to try to capture all the loose hairs in advanced.

I might try a massage with coconut oil just to give it a try to see if I shed. I haven't used any other oil on dry hair, only in DT's (like SMT, etc.)

I find that with the hesh bhringraj oil i initially shed more for a while but after a while that slows down. Personally i would continue for a month or 6 weeks and if the shedding continues then consider another oil. I did manage to gain a ponytail circumference of 150% while using that oil though so i consider it worth persevering with.

WOW! That is very impressive. How long did you use it before achieving 150% circumference increase? How often did you use it (weekly, daily, etc.)? I'm very curious to know now because I could certainly use all the circumference I can get!:D

ChloeDharma
February 28th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Good to hear that I'm not the only one.:)

Brushing the hair prior sounds like a good idea, to try to capture all the loose hairs in advanced.

I might try a massage with coconut oil just to give it a try to see if I shed. I haven't used any other oil on dry hair, only in DT's (like SMT, etc.)

WOW! That is very impressive. How long did you use it before achieving 150% circumference increase? How often did you use it (weekly, daily, etc.)? I'm very curious to know now because I could certainly use all the circumference I can get!:D

Well i really was using it almost constantly, keeping my hair and scalp heavily oiled topping up daily and massaging once a day at least. I was also washing with herbs only at the time leaving my hair with a light application of oil after washing but reoiling heavily within 24 hours and washing once a week, twice at the most. I think the combination of herbs, oil and massage really made the difference working in synergy.
HTH :)

Yedda
March 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
Well i really was using it almost constantly, keeping my hair and scalp heavily oiled topping up daily and massaging once a day at least. I was also washing with herbs only at the time leaving my hair with a light application of oil after washing but reoiling heavily within 24 hours and washing once a week, twice at the most. I think the combination of herbs, oil and massage really made the difference working in synergy.
HTH :)

Yes, thank you. That helps me very much. I'm going to try to use this oil 2 times per week up to daily to see if I can get even close to similar results. I'm not doing any type of herb washing, and I do wash more than one time per week. But hopefully, I will yield some positive results nonetheless. Thanks!:D

ChloeDharma
March 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you xxx
I'm sure that it will help, you may not be herb washing but the oil contains many extracts from herbs often used in herb washing/conditioning anyway. Also i think that frequency of washing is more to do with the effect on the hairs length anyway, in your picture your hair looks in very good condition so i'm sure it's fine. Washing is actually good for the scalp and i find that leaving it too long between washes makes me shed more.

Soniasonia
March 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
I used to use that oil. The ingredients on the box are actually false. That's if you have the original version. The original box had all these wonderful ingredients on it. Coconut oil being the first. When I took the bottle out of the box I noticed it wasn't solid, like coconut oil is supposed to be. Now they're printing the boxes with the actual ingredients. Mineral oil being the first. Mineral oil *always* makes my hair fall out. Maybe it does the same to you. Luckly I didn't apply that to the scalp cause I was always suspicious of it. Hope that helps:)

ChloeDharma
March 4th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I used to use that oil. The ingredients on the box are actually false. That's if you have the original version. The original box had all these wonderful ingredients on it. Coconut oil being the first. When I took the bottle out of the box I noticed it wasn't solid, like coconut oil is supposed to be. Now they're printing the boxes with the actual ingredients. Mineral oil being the first. Mineral oil *always* makes my hair fall out. Maybe it does the same to you. Luckly I didn't apply that to the scalp cause I was always suspicious of it. Hope that helps:)

They are two different oils, the one you are thinking of is their mahabhringraj oil from the ancient formule range, the bhringraj oil is from a different range and does go solid when it's cold.

Yedda
March 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM

They are two different oils, the one you are thinking of is their mahabhringraj oil from the ancient formule range, the bhringraj oil is from a different range and does go solid when it's cold.

Ok, you guys, I'm kind of worried now:confused:. The one I have is in a green box that says Hesh Brhringraj Hair oil. It's in a dark green bottle and it is liquid, although I have not put it in the fridge.

The ingredients list says the first ingredient is cocos nucifera (coconut oil.)

Soniasonia, is this the one you're speaking of?

ChloeDharma, is the one you used with success?

ChloeDharma
March 4th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ok, you guys, I'm kind of worried now:confused:. The one I have is in a green box that says Hesh Brhringraj Hair oil. It's in a dark green bottle and it is liquid, although I have not put it in the fridge.

Yup, that's the one hun, on one site the oil you are using is pictured but the mahabhringraj is the one being sold, but as long as it's in that box and is called "bhringraj oil" not "mahabhringraj" then it's fine.
There are other oils like "pune mahabhringaraj oil" which are also fine to use xx

Yedda
March 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Ok you guys, I used coconut oil only and I still shed several hairs. I'm not sure if my scalp just hates oil and I should stop using it or if it's just part of the territory and I should continue....

I'm going to have to think about this.

I might stop using oil on my scalp altogether. I'm scared to death to lose any more hair. My hair is too thin and also fine as it is.

I know the bhringraj oil is supposed to encourage growth and thickness, but I don't know how it would be able to compensate for the hairs I'm losing. I would say I lose less than 10 hairs during the massage, but that seems like a lot to me. I'm not sure how many hairs on average each person loses per day, but it seems like without using oil I lose almost none, maybe 1 -3 a day that I can notice. I don't ever see them in the shower, I only see the 1-3 when I brush my hair with my BBB brush or fingercomb.

These are just estimates of course...I could be missing something.

I really hate this because I've seen and heard of such good reports of using indian oils and powders for health, shine, thickness, maintaining dark hair, etc. (all the things I want. My shine is fine already, but I want help with the other things...)

ktani
March 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM
This may help, http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/06/16/study.examines.normal.hair.loss.men.without.eviden ce.baldness

Payal80
March 6th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Maybe you are not applying it in proper way. or the oil is kind of fake or it just don't go well your hairs. sometime its better to avoid using oil if you are having a problem with it.
problem might be because of some mineral deficiency. you need to consult some hair expert if you think you shed more hairs and got thin hairs.

Aisha25
March 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Maybe you are not applying it in proper way. or the oil is kind of fake or it just don't go well your hairs. sometime its better to avoid using oil if you are having a problem with it.
problem might be because of some mineral deficiency. you need to consult some hair expert if you think you shed more hairs and got thin hairs.
Very true!

Soniasonia
March 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM

Yes that's the one! The green one. With the girl on the box looking sideways right?

Yedda
March 7th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Yes that's the one! The green one. With the girl on the box looking sideways right?

Yep, that's the one I have:confused:

How did you find out that the ingredient list wasn't accurate?

HotRag
March 7th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I use Hesh bhringraj oil on scalp.
It makes me shed a bit when I massage, but when I wash, I loose about that amount of hairs less.
I think the massage gets the ready to shed hairs to fall off. When I don't massage scalp with oil before washing, I do shed more during wash or the next days.

My Hesh Bhringraj was newly arrived to the store I bought it from a couple of weeks ago, and it says coconut oil, no mineral oil. It is solid and has to be warmed up before applying. I have just 16-18 degrees Celsius at home, and coconut is solid under 24 degrees Celsius. Maybe that melting point is slightly different due to herbs in it. I will learn if it is so, when summer comes...