PDA

View Full Version : Taking a cold rinse one step further...

Kuchen
February 28th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I had to laugh at the "Shu Uemura Art of Hair Muroto Volume Initiation Ceremony for Fine Hair", although it's surprisingly cheap for a salon super-treatment. A journalist from the Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/carola-long-large-ice-packs-are-rolled-along-the-hairline-ndash-a-procedure-normally-used-for-hangovers-1632142.html) tried it:

First comes the Muroto Volume shampoo and hair mask (you can buy these separately) which are formulated with Depsea water, a very pure, mineral-rich water harvested off the coast of Cape Muroto in Japan. Next comes a massage to lift roots, followed by a massage on the front of the head to stimulate the scalp and give a mini brow lift.

The next stage involves having large ice packs rolled along the hairline, a procedure that would normally only be used to soothe a minor head injury or raging hangover, and finally the hair is rinsed in a zig-zag motion with a cold jet of water. It might sound about as much fun as a cold shower, but it's surprisingly refreshing. The results were helped by an excellent blow dry from Adam Reed, the creative director of new salon Percy & Reed where I had the treatment, but somehow this quirky ritual imparted the thickest, shiniest hair I've ever skipped out of a salon with.

Aside from the blow dry, sounds pretty easy to replicate for rather less than £15!

manderly
February 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Hmmmmm, dip your head in a bucket of ice water?

Who wants to be our guinea pig? :D

Kuchen
February 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM
They were not wrong when they called it an "initiation ceremony" :twisted:

natt i nord
February 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Always the one who's asking, hm? :D

manderly
February 28th, 2009, 05:50 AM
LOL, I hate hate hate cold showers and rinses. Because of that I almost never do them :D

And this is why I shower at night, I freeze in the morning.

Katze
February 28th, 2009, 05:57 AM
LOL, I hate hate hate cold showers and rinses. Because of that I almost never do them :D

And this is why I shower at night, I freeze in the morning.

me too. It is too darned cold here to torture myself with cold water.

But ice...that's taking it to another level.

Finoriel
February 28th, 2009, 06:34 AM
You could visit me for such a treatment. :p The last time I had to step out of the door with a wet braid it froze to an icicle. Oops, now you all know my secret recipe for long shiny hair :lipssealed:. *cough* What I wanted to say was: I would be willed to offer a special and very exclusive all natural freeze-dry hair treatment for hmm let´s say 14£! :eyebrows: Anyone?

:rolling:

Shanarana
February 28th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I'd have to be drunk before trying something like that.

Kuchen
February 28th, 2009, 07:01 AM
You could visit me for such a treatment. :p The last time I had to step out of the door with a wet braid it froze to an icicle. Oops, now you all know my secret recipe for long shiny hair :lipssealed:. *cough* What I wanted to say was: I would be willed to offer a special and very exclusive all natural freeze-dry hair treatment for hmm let´s say 14£! :eyebrows: Anyone?

Only £14 for long shiny hair? Gosh! That seems like a bargain! :face:

Forever_Sophie
February 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM
That reminds me of the cold cap option when getting chemo...no, thank you! I do the cold rinse religiously though.

Gumball
February 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
There was a thread recently about using ice cubes to run along the hair to help smooth things down. Kind of like a more hands-on approach to a cold water rinse. That follows this pretty well all things considered. Still... Cold. I'd have to turn my water warm again after that and I don't know if my skin would love me too much doing that repeatedly.

Coriander
February 28th, 2009, 11:16 AM
You could visit me for such a treatment. :p The last time I had to step out of the door with a wet braid it froze to an icicle. Oops, now you all know my secret recipe for long shiny hair :lipssealed:. *cough*

I think we have a new entry for any weapons registration form :D

I'm also a cold rinser (just on the hair) - and I really think it's made a difference.

ratgirldjh
February 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
i always either wash my hair in cold water - or at least finish with cold water.

feralnature
February 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I always, always cold water rinse too, but it's not cold weather here so it actually feels good, especially since the air conditioner broke this week. Yesterday it was 91 degrees here. Yep, cold water rinse.....not so bad :)

Für immer
February 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Would probably never try it out for my self

Cinnamon Hair
February 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hmmmmm, dip your head in a bucket of ice water?

I did this, unwillingly, for two weeks. Let me tell you, the pain is not worth it! It feels like the headache you get from eating ice cream too fast, multiplied by 10 and all over your head, not just the inside. The outside temp stayed around the teens, so the ground water was quite cold. If swear, if it wasn't running water the shower would have been shooting ice cubes at me!

The power was out due to an ice storm back in January that left me in the dark for a total of 14 days and 8 hours. Took a shower in ice cold water every day, washed my hair every 3rd day. I was miserable. No increase in growth at all for the month of Jan. so it was all pain and no gain. :(

Bene
February 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
i've got cold urticaria. no way i could even think about trying this :(

Loviatar
March 2nd, 2009, 04:42 AM
I start and finish all my washes with a cold rinse, as cold as I can get it. I dont ice it though, but I do keep my filter jug (for rinses) in the fridge. And in summer, when I am camping, I rather wash my hair under the freezing standpipe than in the hot shower. it's so refreshing. I get headache if I s&C though, as I'm under the water too long, so standpipe washes have to be CO.

Freezing cold rinses are fab. And they really help when they are filtered, I think. London water is really hard.