PDA

View Full Version : avocado oil smells (and other oils)

pdy2kn6
February 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I started using avocado oil as i know it has really good moisturising qualities but the type that i got, cold pressed oil, smells disgusting. Has anyone found this? I don't really like putting it on because it smells so bad. Do you lot have any oils you use which you hate the smell of? any way you try and disguise the smell?

GlassEyes
February 28th, 2009, 04:57 AM
It's probably gone rancid.

Avocado oil has one of the quickest spoiling times of all oils. You may try mixing it with another (like jojoba or olive) to get a longer-lasting period that it'l stay fresh, but it'll still go bad eventually.

Finoriel
February 28th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I personally love the scent of my cold pressed avocado oil, it smells very fresh and somehow "green", but preferences are different and I can imagine that itīs scent is not yummy for everyone. I hated the smell of macadamia oil, while most others like it :shrug:.
When it is not rancid and you just donīt like the normal smell of avocado oil, you could try to mix it with some drops of EO, to alter the smell to something more pleasant for your nose.

Shanarana
February 28th, 2009, 06:41 AM
The only stuff that I've tried and can't stand the smell is shea butter.

pdy2kn6
February 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM
i don't think its gone rancid because i only opened it a few days ago, its best before date is '2011 04 10'

Flaxen
February 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Cold pressed avocado oil has what I consider to be a strong aroma. I don't care much for it, either.

ratgirldjh
February 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
i haven't used avocado oil but i have used avocado on my face - and if you leave it on it starts to smell kind of like a wet turtle or something...

usually if i wash it off the smell goes away - but i know what you mean...

maybe adding lavender oil to the oil would help?

s_tresses
February 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
To me it smells like Almond oil and I think both of them have a mild smell. I don't like it though.

I HATE the smell of coconut oil and have you ever tried Mustard oil?? lol

Starr
February 28th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I've never met an oil I didn't like the smell enough to not use it. That being said, I'm okay with most smells except for fenugreek (it smells like maple syrup vomit) but I still use that occasionally too. . . so yeah.

Arfed
March 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
I got some recently as well; smells a bit like....wallpaper paste? (or something like that)
It doesn't bother me much though, as I use it as a heavy-oiling treatment before I wash my hair, so it's only in a few hours as opposed to all day.

spidermom
March 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM
Emu oil smelled a bit like chicken fat, but wow oh wow - did it ever work! I mostly used it for a pre-shampoo treatment to limit my exposure to the smell. Then I discovered coconut oil, which smells a whole lot better to me and works just as well - so thank goodness.

You might try my method and only use it pre-washing for an hour or so, with a shower cap over your hair and a wool cap over your shower cap. That works really well as a conditioning treatment.

Also, if you can find a small glass bottle, you can keep a little oil in your bathroom or bedroom and leave the rest in the refrigerator. It will last longer for you that way. Sometimes you can find teeny-tiny jars of jam at gift shops; eat the jam, use the jar for your room-temperature oil.

pdy2kn6
March 1st, 2009, 11:25 PM
Emu oil smelled a bit like chicken fat, but wow oh wow - did it ever work! I mostly used it for a pre-shampoo treatment to limit my exposure to the smell. Then I discovered coconut oil, which smells a whole lot better to me and works just as well - so thank goodness.

You might try my method and only use it pre-washing for an hour or so, with a shower cap over your hair and a wool cap over your shower cap. That works really well as a conditioning treatment.

Also, if you can find a small glass bottle, you can keep a little oil in your bathroom or bedroom and leave the rest in the refrigerator. It will last longer for you that way. Sometimes you can find teeny-tiny jars of jam at gift shops; eat the jam, use the jar for your room-temperature oil.

thats a good idea because theres no way i would use up my avacado oil quickly...Do coconut oil and avocado oil need to be kept in the frigde? i have always kept them out at room temp.

Finoriel
March 1st, 2009, 11:58 PM
Depends on how warm it is in your house :wink: but the cooler the temperature the longer they will last. Refined oils generally take longer to go off than the green oils. Green avocado oil definitely should be kept cool and used up fast. Small oil bottles I just keep in a cool storage room, which almost has fridge temperature+2° and bigger bottles get portioned and go into the freezer, there they last almost forever.

Anje
March 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
So does your avocado oil smell like avocados? If it smells really gross and not avocado-like, I'd suspect it's bad, or going that way, no matter what the expiration date says.

I do know that Parachute coconut oil can only sit in a warm car so many times. Eventually it starts to smell rather like bacon, which is really weird.

ChloeDharma
March 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
To me it smells like Almond oil and I think both of them have a mild smell. I don't like it though.

I HATE the smell of coconut oil and have you ever tried Mustard oil?? lol

Mustard oil is vile! But in the quest for better growth i used it anyway.....after about half an hour though i could taste it in my mouth which is when i threw in the towel! Another oil i can't stomach the smell of is Neem oil....i'd need to be seriously fungally infested before i could bear using that stuff.

rossjen
March 3rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
I couldn't stand the smell of emu oil at all (as well as the consistency of it).

pdy2kn6
March 4th, 2009, 04:06 AM
it smells not exactly like avocados...more of a nutty smell. it doesn't smell off, its sort of growing on me, i have to admit lol, but it doesnt exactly smell fresh like coconut oil does.