PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa hair stylists?

phedre
February 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I haven't had a trim in oh, about a year now. It's long past time, my ends are getting uneven.

Here's my conundrum:

I'm spending a LOT of time in Ottawa now, and I have no idea where to go! I've given up on my Montreal stylist, because while she follows instructions on trims and could handle my BSL hair, now that it's tailbone she rips through it with her comb while trimming, which makes me crazy.

TL;DR:

Need an Ottawa hairstylist who'll only trim off the ends of my tailbone length hair, and not abuse it with his or her comb!

GlebeGirl
February 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I wish I could help more, but when I lived in Ottawa I was cutting my own hair using Feye's trimming methods so stylists were entirely off my radar. However, Byblos (http://www.siegelproductions.ca/ottawarocks/byblos.htm) is supposed to be very reputable. It's in the Glebe, where I used to live and I've heard good things about it.

That's not to say that I think they'd understand a longhair aesthetic, but they might put more stock into giving you exactly what you want since they're a high-profile salon.

melikai
February 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I haven't lived full-time in Ottawa for a few years, but I used to go to the Amalfi Spa in Rideau Centre. There is an Asian woman there with absolutely beautiful, at least classic length hair - or used to be. She would probably be very understanding of your hair length and goals. There was also a great colourist there (I used to colour) with I believe henna-ed hair that was to waist or longer. She always listened to what I wanted, and did my cuts as well as colouring. They do try to sell you products though (what place doesn't?).

There are probably better places, but unfortunately I can't be much more help as I had much shorter hair back then.

ETA: I also just remembered going to a place on Bank Street, South of Somerset which carries exclusively Aveda products, and they had some good stylists there.

phedre
March 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Well, I called Amalfi and asked for someone who specializes in long hair. i've got an appointment booked for a trim on Thursday. We'll see how it goes!