PDA

View Full Version : Dye and using oil

Honey39
February 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hello all! I've just had my hair done at the hairdresser (red highlights and a slight trim) and it does look fantastic. BUT - I've been babying my hair a lot lately, using jojoba oil etc on my hair. I've always wondered this - would using oil fade the dye? I know that since I've stopped using shampoo (I CO pretty much exclusively) the colour stays true for months. Would using oil make the colour fade? Especially as it's red, which is the colour most prone to fading.

Thanks lovely people in advance!

RancheroTheBee
February 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I find that, yes, it does, for me anyway. But I've heard otherwise in other people.

Honey39
February 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I find that, yes, it does, for me anyway. But I've heard otherwise in other people.

Yes, I figured that it might - stands to reason in a way, we use oil to loosen grease and get marks off things, so it would make sense that it 'loosens' dye as well.

xrosiex
February 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I think oil does lighten my hair after I color I notices fading the most when I use evoo.

Honey39
February 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I think oil does lighten my hair after I color I notices fading the most when I use evoo.

Dammit, lol. I thought I was right to be suspicious, but I had JUST found my perfect oiling technique as well. And red fades so easily as well, it seems that it's stupid to do it for at least a month or so!!!

Thank you though - I appreciate the opinions on this, I really do.

Dolly
February 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I dye my hair red, and I do a heavy coconut oiling overnight at least once a week.....I haven't noticed any more fading than usual.....

Honey39
February 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I dye my hair red, and I do a heavy coconut oiling overnight at least once a week.....I haven't noticed any more fading than usual.....

That's good to know - maybe coconut doesn't fade dye? I'm really keen to oil my hair, because i've found out the besst way for my hair.

Do you use henna, or chemical dyes? I have just put in a lot of red/copper highlights (looks fab!), so it might be different to henna, because this lot has to last for three months!! :p

heidihug
February 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I dye using medium auburn/brown, and I find that oiling does seem to fade my hair quite a bit if I do it within a week or so of coloring. So I hold off on heavy oiling right after I color.

Honey39
February 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I dye using medium auburn/brown, and I find that oiling does seem to fade my hair quite a bit if I do it within a week or so of coloring. So I hold off on heavy oiling right after I color.

Okay, good tip - will leave it for a few weeks or so before I resume with the oiling! I want to keep the colour and vibrancy, and try to baby it as well. I do find oiling a bit hit and miss, but I had got in the routine of oiling when my hair was freshly washed, and it was working well.

Dolly
February 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM
That's good to know - maybe coconut doesn't fade dye? I'm really keen to oil my hair, because i've found out the besst way for my hair.

Do you use henna, or chemical dyes? I have just put in a lot of red/copper highlights (looks fab!), so it might be different to henna, because this lot has to last for three months!! :p

I use chemical dye, and do it myself at home. Hydrience Intense Deep Red, to be exact.

The other thing that seems to help my color last longer is the vinegar rinses. I do one as soon as I rinse out the dye......and then I do one following every wash.....I wash my scalp every day with shampoo bars (I let the suds run down the length), and then thoroughly wash the length about once a week.

And of course, the water that touches my hair is never more than lukewarm. Final rinse, after the vinegar is seriously on the cool side.