PDA

View Full Version : I'm grateful for what I've learned from LHC

Gladtobemom
February 27th, 2009, 09:43 AM
If people ask for opinions, experiences, and knowledge, I think most of us do our best to help. We discuss, support, and commiserate--those are really good things.

We do disagree on things, and the discussions are usually very enlightening. My experiences with clarifying, for instance. Baking soda just didn't work for me. So I looked for a clarifying shampoo that would work for me and be as gentle as I think I can find.

My hair is now longer and healthier than since I was a teenager. I owe it to LHC and its members. Knowledge, friendly interaction, support, and especially wonderful examples of so many different paths to being happy with our hair.

I'm quite grateful to Cinnamon Hair for making me notice Kenra moisturizing shampoo. I never would otherwise. It works for me as a clarifying shampoo quite nicely.

My hair THRIVES on coconut oil and shea butter. And aloe mixed with coconut oil is wonderful. I'm grateful to literally dozens of LHC members for helping be explore the whole world of oils and methods. I'm especially grateful to PhysicsChick and Dianyla. PhysicsChick's Chocobutter (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=26169) was the first one that really seemed to give my hair the glow and strength of cones without the crunchiness. Dianyla provided me with the holy grail of CWC methods using LITE coconut milk--I NEVER would have grabbed the lite milk off the shelf--this allows me to treat scalp issues without overmuch wear on my length.

And yes, I like Ojon and Red Palm oil too. Someone on the old boards suggested Red Palm oil, I loved the deep moisture treatment with it. I'm ashamed I can't remember who that was. Ojon, what can I say, it was a gift and I'm still using the huge original container. Since then, I've received two more containers. I don't think I'd actully PAY full price for it. I like the earthy smell and it is in my repertoire--please don't beat me up for it again.

Then there's Aloe, lovely lovely aloe gel. Food grade or Fruit of the Earth with a little carbome gel in it--this stuff is wonderful. My Frizz Buster Gel (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6508) is the first thing that convinced me that I MAY be able to live without cones. It allowed me to distribute the oil sparingly and added a huge hit of moisture.

Then there's Henna. I experimented with henna in my 20's and loved it--but I stopped and cut my hair off when I had small children at him. (pyramid head, big mistake) Nightshade deliverered up enough detail to make me brave again. And my hair has benefitted.

Of course I HAVE tried quite a few things that didn't work out. I've also tried some things that worked spectacularly well, but I didn't stick with them. Fenugreek and Buttermilk soak (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6510&highlight=frizz+buster) for cleansing and conditioning is the most notable. It's WONDERFUL, especially for my wavy hair. Frankly, though, I need a little more scalp cleansing, and the planning ahead requirement is kind of annoying. If I ever decide to go completely with putting only things I could eat on or in me . . . I'll re-visit this.

And then there are the hair toys and the styles. I've been able to really enjoy my hair as it's grown longer. THIS is a big big gift for me, because WAITING is not so easy.

So . . . thank you Stephanie and every single person here whose posts I've read.

RancheroTheBee
February 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM
:) I'm so happy you've benefited from this board. I also don't know how I could survive, hair-wise, without the infinite wisdom I find here. This place is great, isn't it? Three cheers for the LHC!

Silverlox
February 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Me too!! :D

This is a truly wonderful place and not only for hair care advice. I have discovered a world of oils, aloe vera plus lots of other stuff I'd never even think of putting in my hair or on my scalp. Although not everything has been a perfect fit for my needs, it's still been a world of fun experimenting.

Not to mention all the lovely hair toys I've discovered and been seduced into acquiring!

The kindness and the high level of helpfulness when it comes to answering any question, be it about hair care, health or life in general. All the ever so nice people rushing to offer their prayers or thought at any hint of a request.

This board has accumulated an astounding level of knowledge about almost everything. So many different people from all over the world and from all walks of life, generously sharing their wisdom and knowledge.

What's not to love? :inlove:

willowcandra
February 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
wow I have learned so much...not only about hair but also birth control options, cloth pads etc:). Not to mention the lolcats.

Hair...better techniques tools and styles. Oils, good routines.

And made actual real friends!

twilight
February 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM
i second all of that.

GrowlingTurtlez
February 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
This is so sweet! It's really encouraging to read someone else's tales of appreciation, especially when I'm feeling frustrated with my hair.

jera
February 27th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I agree as well. I've learned everything from hair care to work out regimes to photography here. This place is the best and thanks to all those kind enough to help a confused newbie on multiple subjects. :)

Silver & Gold
February 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Now you've got me curious. Where do I find PhysicsChick's Chocobutter?

embee
February 27th, 2009, 06:20 PM
This board is unique in my experience.

Thank you Stephanie, and all the mods. What a great job you do!

SimplyLonghair
February 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
This board is unique in my experience.

Thank you Stephanie, and all the mods. What a great job you do!

I agree that this board is unusual, it's members are a great resource of info on almost any subject that you might want to learn about.:D
And the support that they offer each other is great! :thumbsup: LHC!

GlebeGirl
February 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
So true! Finding TLHC was the best thing that ever happened for my hair. Plus, I learned about menstrual cups and would never go back to pads or tampons. I discovered that pure shea butter is the best facial moisturizer in the world for me. I was introduced to all kinds of cool body jewelry and hairsticks, forks and combs. I have met the most fascinating people and engaged in really enlightening conversations and yes, even debates. ;)

I love TLHC. All of the above in one place? Awesome!

may1em
February 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I love this place!

I learned a lot of the tricks via the LJ community, but this place has so much more information. Even just two weeks ago, I learned about Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream here! And AO Honeysuckle Rose! Both have brought so much back to my dry ends. Feye's self-trim has also been invaluable.

Also, the Friendship Board is so fun!

And Gladtobemom, your posts are inspiring - you add so much to this place yourself.

Missie
February 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I so agree with all the above comments.
I'm so very grateful to the LHC too. This board has taught me so much. It would never have occurred to me to try camellia oil on my hair, or take a leap of faith and order shampoo bars from the USA or to buy a pure silk pillowcase to sleep on. Never in a thousand years would I have heard of or purchased a horn comb! These matters never come up in the conversation in my circle of people in the wild west of Oz. :)
If I hadn't come across LHC by accident, I would still be using the same old Pantene shampoo and conditioner and cutting my hair in pure frustration because it looked so dry and frazzled all the time.
Thank you to everyone at LHC.. you are a pool of collective wisdom indeed.

Cinnamon Hair
February 27th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm quite grateful to Cinnamon Hair for making me notice Kenra moisturizing shampoo. I never would otherwise. It works for me as a clarifying shampoo quite nicely.

Oh my, I just found this and am shocked that you use Kenra moisturizing as a clarifying shampoo! Thank you for the props and I am glad that it works for you. To me Kenra is a super gentle moisturizing shampoo that I use when I want to baby my hair. Guess that goes to show everyone is different.

To list everything I have learned from people at LHC would be overwhelming. Let's just say that 99.9% of my hair knowledge was gained by reading posts and articles here (and at the original LHL board).

Here are a few that stick out the most:

CO washing method, learned from LisaJaney.

Ficcares --thanks Tbear!

Super long hair can be extraordinarily beautiful --photos on TLHS, Lady Godiva, Denise, and Karen Marie of Stressless Tresses were some of my first online inspirations.

Proof that you can wash daily and still have thick healthy hair --Karen Marie again.

Flaxen has always been a wealth of information.

All the members who taught me how to do updos. Before LHC/LHL a half up or a ponytail was my limit.

There are so many many more.

scalawaggirl
February 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I know exactly how you feel, Gladtobemom! There is such a wealth of information here and everyone is so helpful.

It's funny because I've been a member for awhile (was on the old board but mainly lurked) but now that I've gotten on the grow bandwagon, I've been participating a lot more. :)

We seem to have similar hair types so I'm going to try out your Frizz Buster Gel since I use a version of Kimberly's Refresh Spray but more aloe seems like just the thing I need (to try, at least)!

I might have to give that buttermilk soak a whirl, too. How fun is it to discover something new so you can do another deep treatment? ;)

kdaniels8811
February 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I am so glad I finally found people as obsessed with growing thier hair as I am - AND giving me the tools to do just that. All the advice I listened to in the past left me with damaged APL hair. Now it is actually growing! And what a great bunch of folks... I heartely second the thanks!

Gladtobemom
February 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Oh my, I just found this and am shocked that you use Kenra moisturizing as a clarifying shampoo! Thank you for the props and I am glad that it works for you. To me Kenra is a super gentle moisturizing shampoo that I use when I want to baby my hair. Guess that goes to show everyone is different.

It seems to have enough "sulphate" to take out the little bit of protein and sometimes cones that I use. About the only coney thing I ever use is L'Oreal Mega Moisture. It's a really nice gentle shampoo. If I've gone seriously down to cone-ville (like pulled out the serum a couple of times), then I reach for the V05 clarifying, but that hasn't happened in a couple of years.

To list everything I have learned from people at LHC would be overwhelming. Let's just say that 99.9% of my hair knowledge was gained by reading posts and articles here (and at the original LHL board).

Ohhh yes! For all those that take the trouble to write the articles--:cheer:

Flaxen never fails to help when I'm totally gerflumpt, she's the best.

Elyce changed my whole view of how to treat my quite wavy hair. Her Halo Rinse was one of the first things I tried that made a difference, my hair was shiny again! I still mix it up once in a while, after a CO with VO5 it really makes my hair shine. and the waves are defined and clumped attractively, it's my fave for when .

The hairstyle list is really long. Today, I'm wearing a Dianyla braid with a Bunjii twirled 6 times on the tassel. Yesterday, I wore a Nightshade Equilibrium bun. I have a notebook of over 100 styles and I wear about 9 of them often now that my hair is below waist. So I owe a big big thanks to all those that do the wonderful hairstyle demos.

The more I think, the more I could go on and on.

BlndeInDisguise
February 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Great post! :) I agree completely--I shudder when I look at how my hair was pre-LHC. And I thought there wasn't anything I could do about it.

I've learned so much, and I'm so much happier with my hair, and my hair is so much easier to deal with now.

Sissy
February 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Your hair is beautiful and it's lovely that you have such a fantastic routine! I wish I could sort out a perfect routine for me... things that I could say with confidence work all the time. I also have to agree and say a big THANK YOU to LHC... I've learned so much since joining in November. I hope to learn so much more!

I have a couple questions for you. Can the Kenra shampoo be bought out at the shops? I am interested in trying it.

Also, what is the recipe for Chocobutter? And, are ojon oil and red palm oil the same thing? These oils are supposed to be very moisturizing? If so, I want!

Thanks,
Sissy

Hypnotica
February 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Ohhh yes! For all those that take the trouble to write the articles--:cheer:

Thank you for reminding me that I need to compile my bun videos into an article. I have done that with the French Twists....but my behind sometimes get stuck in worldly things.

rags
February 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I am extremely grateful for everything I have learned here! The most important being that even though my fine hair is thinner now, it can still look beautiful long! (Loving everyone's pics)

And the toys! Sigh......how did I ever manage without hairforks? Oh yes, I wore my hair down every single day~:D

Another big thank you to all of those who write the articles! It's such a wonderful resource to be able to call upon!

Coriander
February 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I feel as if we're at the Oscars and we're so proud of our "trophies" (tresses). :) This thread is awesome.

When I joined LHC first in 2006 and rejoined this January, I never thought there would be so much to growing hair. I have had long hair my entire life (except for twice and then I grew it out again immediately). I used hairspray, blowdryers and wore very tight ponytails. I backcombed in a failed effort to make my cowlick disappear.

Thanks to LHC I've tried CO, S&D, CWC and coconut oil. I've learned about the menstrual cup, which I didn't even know existed. I was brave enough to re-try epilating. I was taught about cones, sulfates and proteins. I was taught that my brush with the plastic nubbies probably wasn't such a great thing. Braid-before-bed is a lesson learned.

Toys! Updo challenges!

I love LHC :heartbeat

NiAosSi
February 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I am grateful for all the wonderful knowledge LHC has to offer. I am also grateful for the array of people, how different we all are, and how we come together for a common goal - hair! Even though we agree to disagree sometimes, it's all love in this place. ;)

camillacamilla
February 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I don't think I EVER would have tried henna had it not been for this site. Also, this is the only message board I have ever been on that did NOT have a trolling problem. No nastiness, no mean comments from other members. :D

Für immer
February 28th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Good for you

Gladtobemom
February 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Now you've got me curious. Where do I find PhysicsChick's Chocobutter?

If you go to the original post in the thread, I added a link and made it red.

BritHair
February 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I am a newbie and all I can say is this place is a blessing.

I used to just was my hair with shampoo and then condition it. I had no idea that hair growing was so technical and how much I took my hair for granted.

In the short time I have been here I have fell in love with coconut oil and jojoba oils. I scalp wash once a week and my hair hugs me for it. I have numerous hair toys now...very addicting...and it has added the excitement of updo's once again. I am now carving my own hair sticks and embellishing them. Too much fun.

I have many more experiences to try and I can only look forward to continuous improvement of my hair. I just love the comments and advice that people share with one another.

This is a most excellent sight with an excellent group of Hair Lovers.
Thank You :D

justgreen
February 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Oh how much I've learned here....it would take me days to write down.

But the very best thing? Getting to know people like Gladtobemom. :agree: :flowers:

ClareDee
February 28th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Oh I've learned lots here, but I think the best thing has been the discovery of hair sticks. I highly doubt I ever would have tried to use them had I not found this place. And they're such a great, versatile hair accessory -- the fact that I can put my hair in a bun using only a stick and nothing else still tickles me really. :)
Thanks LHC :thumbsup:

morningstar
February 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks GTBM for this thread. It is a great reminder to me that although I have been here two years there is so much to learn. I am learning new things that apply to me as my hair finally is approaching waist...finally.
Good job LHC, it's members and Steph and all the mods that make this such an informative, friendly and safe place. :smooch:

Teacherbear
February 28th, 2009, 07:44 PM
It is amazing all of the things people learn from LHC. There is such a wonderful wealth of information here. Regardless of the approach you wish to take with your hair (stick with salon products or go WO or organic only) there are people here who can help you meet your goals.

Thanks for sharing all of that info, GTBM! :smooch:

Ficcares --thanks Tbear!

LOL, You're welcome, Cinnamon Hair. I think your collection outgrew mine a long time ago. I think I only have 15 or so (including Mini Maximas, hair sticks, and another type of barrette or two).

justgreen
February 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I think Carolyn might be the Ficcare winner. Look at her profile picture.

Cinnamon Hair
March 1st, 2009, 12:07 AM
I think Carolyn might be the Ficcare winner. Look at her profile picture.

Then you haven't seen trollkjerring's collection.

Velvettt
March 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Without this place, I would never have learned the safe way to colour my hair; I would never have tried Aubrey Organics or Giovanni products; I would never have figured out what to do with hairsticks and forks, and most important of all -- I would never have found the wonderful people who inhabit this weird, wonderful world of longhairs.
:crush:

Loviatar
March 2nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
Great thread, GTBM.

I'm grateful to have made so many friends here, and also to have learned about:

Nightshade's henna bunnies, and her sticks-making on etsy
CO washing, Dairy Whip and conefree regimes
Bargello's vitamin regimen, and Igor's vitamins and 'growing from short' tips
Oil Cleansing Method!
Spidermom's 'put it up and forget it' trick - it really works
Ursula's braid assistance for dummies and the other how-to style threads
Tons of different products and tools I'd never used before, the ones I've stuck to are Ficcares, Flexis, forks, horn combs, Mason Pearson and unrefined coconut oil (I'd honestly never smelled a pot of coconut oil which actually smelled of real coconut before LHC!

So many other things like body mod stuff (Stretching and spirals) elimination communication on the parenting thread, all kinds of natural housecare and bodycare - it's such fun. I have to admit I knew about mooncups and the like already but it's always interesting to get other opinions on various subjects :)

Oh and :cheese: of course!