PDA

View Full Version : New Hairtoys = Small Joys

LifeisAdventure
March 30th, 2008, 11:05 PM
There is SOOOO much going on right now in my life it's ridiculous. I just came back from a weekend trip to Illinois for my grad school orientation (we had to drive almost 13 hours each way, FYI, because of all the canceled Super 80 flights) and now I am faced with so many difficult decisions about moving halfway across the country, investing a LOT of money I don't have in a great education opportunity, figuring out where to live with my non-student BF and cats... ugg... really... I'm about to tear my beautiful hair out. Add to that I've been cut from FT to PT at work which is NOT enough to make bills and yet no one wants to hire me since I'm leaving for Uni in 2 months... it's all so... ARRRGHHH!!

All that rantity-ranting being over and done (for now, anyway)... I LOVE my new hair sticks and they at least give me some small joys. I just got them about a week ago from yourcrowningglory (Etsy) and couldn't be happier -- the purple and orange ones are 'California Dreaming' and the green ones are 'Key Lime Twist.' They make me smile so I wanted to share them with you all in hopes that you'll smile too. Whoo for pretty things! :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2289/2375760797_9923dd2ca1.jpg?v=0http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/2376597426_15d91bd4aa.jpg?v=0

Please ignore the fuzzy messiness. I put these hairdos up really quickly for some customer appreciation photos and now looking at them makes me freak a little about breakage. But still, the toys are so colorful and happy they deserve to be seen. Enjoy! :)

rubyredslippers
March 30th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Seeing those hairtoys in your lovely hair certainly was a joy for me as well. Your loose knotted updo is gorgeous. Very shiny, too, I must say :D.

From one student to another, I empathise about the bills plus school business. Keep your chin up, you can do it, and it'll all be worth it in the end.:cheer:

What will you be studying?

LifeisAdventure
March 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the compliments and the support, rubyredslippers. I'm going for my Masters in Social Work, so after I've paid off my education loans I can look forward to a life chock full of financial underachieving. LOL! ;) What are you in for?

rubyredslippers
March 31st, 2008, 12:21 AM
You're very welcome, LifeisAdventure.

I'm in Nursing, first year only. Plenty of work in that, and anywhere you want to go, pretty much. But I plan to stay in Canada. Not the most profitable choice but the one that involves more hands-on care and less wrangling with insurance companies. :agree:

Social workers are undervalued here too, for the amount of education you guys get, and the amount and quality of work that you do. But it seems like a really rewarding profession.

DecafJane
March 31st, 2008, 01:01 AM
Those hairsticks are just stunning! I love the work that yourcrowningglory does, it is just gorgeous. (I bought two unmatched "orphaned" sticks for a much reduced price, and they are lovely, too. Can't wait to stick them in my hair!)

Good luck with the studies - I'm a student myself, and it isn't easy. However, getting to sleep in a few days a week is a definite perk. ;) (On the other days of the week I get up earlier than I ever did for work, but I don't mind. :) )

lilalong
March 31st, 2008, 05:06 AM
Beautiful hair sticks!

I'm going to move across the countries as well in a couple months. Sigh- the joys of graduate school.

AprilElf
March 31st, 2008, 05:15 AM
Your new toys look great in your hair! The colours are so joyful! :D

Islandgrrl
March 31st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Love your hairsticks! And, of course, your hair too!!! Great updos!

LifeisAdventure
March 31st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone!

lilalong, where are you headed? From where to where? And what are you going for?
DecafJane, you are SO lucky! I always try to watch out for when she sells orphaned sticks together but haven't caught any of the listings so far. She did, however, cut me a good deal on these two pairs after I contacted her and told my story. She's a lovely seller with a great eye for art!
Islandgrrl, thanks! I think the one on the right/bottom (depending on your screen) is one I might have created (or significantly altered, anyway). I messed up another style but came up with something I really love that works perfectly with my hair. And even if I didn't create it, that's cool, because I discovered it for myself and fell in love with it at first sight! :) It does need a name though, rather than "that thing I do," because I'd love to post a how-to/style guide article for it sometime! :redgrin:

embee
March 31st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Those are just lovely! I have nothing like that at all, only very simple and plain, but my hair isn't like yours either!

Enjoy school, enjoy living in a new place. That's exciting. Poor is certainly a pain, but that's how it is in school.

coppercurls
March 31st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Beautiful hairsticks & beautiful hair, Hang in there!:cheer:

prosperina
March 31st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Ah! So you're the one who bought those California dreamin' sticks! :D :) Nah, I'm kidding, I decided on something else instead, but I almost bought them.

I'm convinced that grad school demands new hair sticks every now and then. They certainly make it easier for me!

tuuli
March 31st, 2008, 06:20 PM
They're beautiful like your hair. Have fun with them! :)

LifeisAdventure
March 31st, 2008, 07:37 PM
OOH TUULI! It's you!!! Ok, so ever since I first saw your avatar on the old LHC I've been trying to find it again so I could show it to my nerdy friends. Have you ever read the Wheel of Times series by Robert Jordan? Your avatar is EXACTLY my idea of the "ageless beauty" that the Aes Sedai develop as they use more of the Power. Is the image airbrushed, photoshopped, or real? I can't tell but it is LOVELY! :)

jennydaesy
March 31st, 2008, 07:53 PM
i love your hairsticks..

Juliet's Silk
May 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I was just surfing on etsy and stumbled updon hairsticks made by yourcrowningglory so I'm wondering about the quality of the hairstick blanks.
How smooth is the surface (maybe compared to the heaven of smoothness, Ketylo/Graydog/Baerreis etc)?
TIA!

Xandergrammy
May 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I love both of these sets of hairsticks! They look great in your hair and they made ME smile too! Thanks!

SHELIAANN1969
May 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Wow, the green ones are really really pretty! (The blue ones are too, I like the green color though)

I also like the way that you styled your hair in the second pic, with the green sticks, its really neat!

And yes, something pretty and as simple as hair toys can sure make ones day brighter, i am glad youre happy with your goodies.

Peggy E.
May 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the compliments and the support, rubyredslippers. I'm going for my Masters in Social Work, so after I've paid off my education loans I can look forward to a life chock full of financial underachieving. LOL! ;) What are you in for?

My niece is graduating this evening, in fact, from Loyola U. with her Masters in Social Work. She had student loans from the first moment she set foot on the campus, so there's major payback to be made and soon.

She's hoping to get an office job at United Air Lines - not in her field, or even close, but there's nothing.....

We encourage our children to get the best possible education and then we all suffer through the frustration of there being no jobs with which to use those expensive educations. Of course, she will always have that degree, even if she doesn't use it right away, she may well some day. Or so we all hope....

Those hairsticks are lovely, rubyredslippers. Happy you are able to give yourself little treats for your hard work along the way. Life's too short not to enjoy the occasional reward!

Good luck on all those difficult decisions.

Guenever
May 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Hair toys ARE small joys.. every time I receive a box with a new toy I'm like this: :joy: my family/friends roll their eyes at me, but I don't care.. I love new toys^^
Also, blue and orange is a GREAT combo when it comes to sticks.. I have a Catstyle stick in orangewood with a lapiz bead - it really lightens up the updo!
Beautiful sticks - I'm glad you're enjoying them so much^^

And sorry about all the stress.. I hope it gets better! :flowers:

saman
May 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
your new hair sticks are very pretty in your lovely hair.nice updos.It's great that they made you smile.thanks for sharing your happy moments with us.

Nynaeve
May 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
your new hair sticks are very pretty in your lovely hair.nice updos.It's great that they made you smile.thanks for sharing your happy moments with us.

Thanks for bumping the thread. I could havesworn I posted in it, but I can't find any posts from me :(

Anyway, I'm loving your sticks and I'm glad they brightened your day!!
Hope you are doing well now too. :)