PDA

View Full Version : "It's JUST hair."

Heavenly Locks
February 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
How does that statement make you feel?

Whether it's in response to a wince when someone ruffles your hair and ruins a style, or when it comes to getting a 'trim', or what about when you rant to someone about a bad ingredient in the shampoo you just bought...

Is this something that we need to realize, or need to reject?

I can't decide. For me...growing it out is something I really want to do and when someone says 'it's just hair' ... it hurts my feelings. Like what I want isn't important. You know?

Then again, it IS just hair. It will grow back if something happens. To me though, my hair is more than just hair. It represents a lot.

Hmm...

RancheroTheBee
February 27th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I completely agree. I have a friend who insists that I backcomb her hair for her every time we go out, since I have been appointed the resident hair god for some reason. I explained to her that this is terrible for her hair, and she snarkily replied that "it's just hair, and plus, it still grows super fast."

I wanted to shake her. I asked her last time she'd bleached her underlayer (the only part she dyes) and she said two months ago. She'd been growing 1/6th of an inch a month, from the looks of it. And most of it was in pieces, and she has weird chunks of broken hair all over the place.

It's NOT just hair. It's a part of you. You should be treating all of your body with respect, even if it can be replaced one day.

LittleOrca
February 27th, 2009, 12:48 AM
It's not just hair. It is a part of who I am the same way my harps, art, and mermaid tail are. If someone damaged my harp I would be devastated. Some people would say "It's only wood" and in the end is is only wood (and strings), but it is something beautiful and wonderful that makes me happy and lets me express myself. It was a gift to me that shows the love of the ones who gave it to me and it marks a special point in my life, high school graduation.

My long hair is the same way. It may not be perfect, but it's mine, it makes me happy, and it is more than hair to me. It is me. It is how people identify me (at first), how friends look for me in a crowd, and it is what makes me feel special and beautiful. If I didn't have my hair I think my esteem would be a lot lower.

karli
February 27th, 2009, 12:59 AM
For me, soccer is just a game.
A car is just a car.
I´ve understood that there are people who see it different, normally i choose to respect that.
I don´t tell them what I think about soccer, but I can´t be really enthusiastic about it.

Jessaka
February 27th, 2009, 01:06 AM
My favorite saying is, "It's just a game." HAHA, I like to say that to my boyfriend when he loses games on his xbox...lol.

But yeah, it is just hair to me in some ways, and in other ways it MY HAIR so it's important. I suppose it is not as important as air we breathe...ehhh I don't know. I love my hair, I kinda need it, but there are lots of other things that are more important.

crystal_89
February 27th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hair is something that makes me feel confident and good about myself. I know that its just hair. It will grow back should something happen to it. However, that doesn't stop me feeling like crap if my hair doesn't look the way I want it to, or in a way that I consider attractive.

I think that I try to express myself by wearing my hair a certain way, so, if its not the way I want it, I worry about how others will perceive me.

manderly
February 27th, 2009, 01:42 AM
It IS just hair. It doesn't mean that it isn't important to different people on different levels and different ways.

Someone told my BF the other day he hated his guts (on WOW) because he was running a raid and accidentally gave a cloak or something to the wrong person. This guy was irate. My poor BF felt really bad. I had to remind him, ITS JUST A GAME. When it all boils down to it, sure, it's more important to some than to others (did you hear about the girl who had sex with someone for WOW gold?), but it will always be, just a game.

Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff.

Heavenly Locks
February 27th, 2009, 01:47 AM
(did you hear about the girl who had sex with someone for WOW gold?),.

OMG no!?!

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/2198_splitting_headache.gif

manderly
February 27th, 2009, 01:48 AM
LOL! I had no idea we had an assploding head smiley :D

Heavenly Locks
February 27th, 2009, 01:50 AM
LOL! I had no idea we had an assploding head smiley :D

I nabbed it from a smiley site. :) Feel free to swipe it off my post if you want. I love that one. LOL

Finoriel
February 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Hair is hair :wink:.
I guess the point is more that the value of importance of hair-related things varies widely from person to person.
For us it is some sort of hobby and sometimes our opinions about things collide with the opinions of others who are not as much interested in long healthy hair. For someone being happy with a shoulderlength cut many things are not a big deal, mishaps grow out fast and it does not cross their mind that this might be different with longer/older hair.
IRL I never say anything about hair related topics. Never ever. Except someone asks me and then I keep my answers short and simple, even if it´s hard to not give a 30 minutes lecture :p. I also expect this from my friend who breeds spiders or my other friend who is collecting beer coasters :rolleyes: :wink: to each their own owl.

neon-dream
February 27th, 2009, 02:51 AM
if it's JUST hair to them, why do they spend so much time making it look nice with dyes and layers and who knows what else!
I hate that statement. It might be just hair to them, but it isn't to me.

lillerina
February 27th, 2009, 03:49 AM
My response is generally, "Yeah, but it's just MY hair." I won't take people telling me what to do. My hair is how I express myself, it's part of me and without it I would be completely lost. It holds so much significance to me that I reject the opinion that just because it's "JUST hair" means it shouldn't be important.

Loviatar
February 27th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I react differently to why 'it's just hair' has been said.

If I am waffling on about S&D or shampoo ingredients and someone says it, it makes me go :oops: "Well, yeah..."

If someone messes up my hair deliberately, or yanks a stick out of my updo, THEN I get mad when they say it's just hair.

I try not to talk about hair to anyone other than people I know are interested, like a few hair-conscious friends, or my BF. Although all my friends refer to me as the hair guru and know I have a bathroom full of Weird Stuff.

noelgirl
February 27th, 2009, 04:39 AM
That's a phrase that I always flip around. Like "If it's only hair, then why does it offend you so?" It's one of the ways I choose to express myself, and it's one that doesn't hurt anybody. Some choose to express themselves with rude personal remarks, so I find my way much more peaceful.

scalawaggirl
February 27th, 2009, 04:52 AM
While it is just hair, it is my hair just like it's my skin, my leg, my eyes and so on. While I don't expect others to understand this (a bit of an obsession, I admit) the same way I do, I would be upset with someone who feels entitled enough to mess up my hair, or even touch it, for that matter. How rude! I like my space, thank you!

As for your friend, I don't think it's a big deal even though I do not concur with her opinion to treat her hair badly. It would be an issue only when the comment was directed at me and in that case, I would echo some of the sentiments here...like...,"While I appreciate your right to an opinion, I fail to see at what point yours became more important than mine in relation to my own body. That falls strongly in the 'does-not-count" column', as far as I'm concerned". I look at things like that a lot...count, doesn't count in relation to opinions I respect or not.

eadwine
February 27th, 2009, 05:14 AM
My opinion.. after what I have been through recently, being hospitalized and such, I know it IS just hair.

It is terrible if you lose it because of chemo or something, and I understand THAT perfectly for getting upset about it, but if you are a normal healthy person with a head of hair: it is JUST hair, really.

Shanarana
February 27th, 2009, 05:29 AM
My hair has become a part of my identity. If someone doesn't remember my name they usually say "you know, the one with the long hair". In that respect it's nice to stand out and be remembered by my hair. I always find it nice also when I go out and find I'm the only lady with the longest hair in the group....or in the whole place for that matter.

Being 45 and at this stage in my life for the things I am going through, my hair has become a piece of me that makes me feel pretty and young.

For something that is "just" hair, it certainly can affect people in different ways. :)

Monkey962
February 27th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Obviously, a lot of us find that our own hair is much more important than other people do, and in the end it's really dependant on the individual's opinions, but I think the fact of the matter is that hair is a part of your body, and while it will grow back, it should be treated with some measure of respect.

It's not like you can go around having organs removed saying, "It's JUST my lung. I have another."

HoneyMouse
February 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Just Hair!!!!

Quick get the burning pitchforks :slap::laugh:

ktani
February 27th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I used to feel that way when I was a girl. I wanted long hair but I had no idea how to take proper care of it. I did not use conditioner (until much later and it never helped that much), used to brush and comb my hair by ripping through tangles and I had loads of split ends.

The result was that although different cuts and styles could look good, my hair did not look as good as it could, with proper care.

It is still just hair but now I take care of it, have no split ends, cut it myself and keep it long. I cannot alter my genetic hair shortcomings but I like my hair.

I use catnip instead of conditioner and conventional hair colour, finger separate my hair instead of comb or brush, have satin acetate bedding and use a mild sulfate shampoo. I am happy with my hair and even though it is still thin, it no longer looks ratty at the ends or wispy (except at my hairline and not as wispy as it could, with the right trim). I have made the most of what I have to work with.

It is a matter of choice.

Some people can get away with doing nothing special to their hair and still have it look great. I have never been lucky enough to be one of those people.

MsBubbles
February 27th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I can't decide. For me...growing it out is something I really want to do and when someone says 'it's just hair' ... it hurts my feelings. Like what I want isn't important. You know?

I hardly ever engage in a conversation with anybody else about growing my hair long, or not wanting to damage it. I don't want to invite any such comments. The only people I can really 'talk' to about my hair being long are here on LHC!! Everybody IRL, including my BF who LOVES long hair, has their limits.

But yes, I do tell myself 'it's just hair' every now and then because who knows what might happen in the future to take it away from me (hormones, chemo, etc.).

-Lisa-
February 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I hate this conclusion :rolleyes: MY hair is a part of me.

lora410
February 27th, 2009, 06:39 AM
It may be just hair but hair can represent alot on a woman, including how well we take care of ourselves.

Carolyn
February 27th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I detest that expression. If it's directed specifically at me then I feel like I'm being put down for something that's of the utmost importance to me. It's like my feelings or myself are being negated. In my "real" life, I never talk about the LHC type things I do. I know better than to open myself up for ridicule and derision for being a hair fanatic. That would bring on the "It's just hair" comment. Most people would never understand a fascination with hair as they think it's something unimportant, something that replaces itself and is of no consequence and so to them it really is "just hair". That's OK. It's NOT OK for them to make me feel like less of a person because my hair is important to me. The only time when it would become "just hair" to me is if I were sick with a life threatening illness or had had an accident that required brain surgery. Then I would be forced to become more philosophical about it. I would have to deal. Yes it would grow back but it would still be a traumatic loss.

EdG
February 27th, 2009, 06:46 AM
"It's just a fifth of my life." ;)
Ed

ktani
February 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Long hair is part of my identity, so it is not just hair in that sense but it means different things to different people and that is cool, IMO.

Here, people can exhange hair "obsessions" in the sense of how important it is or is not, with others understanding and empathizing.

I do not consider my hair to be throwaway accessory.

In school, as a girl, I remember a class teaching that hair is "our crowning glory". My hair never was then, for sure.

It still cannot compete with some of gorgeous hair I see here but my hair is not in competition with anything but itself and my efforts to make it look as good as possible, for me.

-Lisa-
February 27th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Ed

What does "Ed" mean :disgust:

auburnlocks
February 27th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I think there was a time when hair was very important to women, but like a lot of things, we have changed. Some women might even feel that long hair is oppressive and a representation of times where women didn’t have the freedom that we have today. Like the frilly, feminine clothing of a time gone by (which I by the way admire greatly—the clothes that is) and the rules of ‘gentle’ society, the importance of ones’ hair, well, just isn’t as important anymore.

EdG
February 27th, 2009, 06:58 AM
What does "Ed" mean :disgust:Ed is my real name. :)
Ed

-Lisa-
February 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Ed is my real name. :)
Ed
Oh :whistle:. I am ashamed :oops:. Sorry. I don't know this name because I am from austria :cool: :p

ktani
February 27th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I think there was a time when hair was very important to women, but like a lot of things, we have changed. Some women might even feel that long hair is oppressive and a representation of times where women didn’t have the freedom that we have today. Like the frilly, feminine clothing of a time gone by (which I by the way admire greatly—the clothes that is) and the rules of ‘gentle’ society, the importance of ones’ hair, well, just isn’t as important anymore.

That is very true, IMO and when I look as some of the avatar pictures of really thick hair, down to the ground my first thought still is, "How much work it must take to maintain all of that".

However, I have learned that for myself, long hair is easier to maintain than short hair. I would still catnip my hair for an hour if it were short, lol.

I just prefer to wear my hair loose, so certain lengths will not be for me, if wearing my hair up is the only option, to be as active as I like to be and not have it in the way.

EdG
February 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Oh :whistle:. I am ashamed :oops:. Sorry. I don't know this name because I am from austria :cool: :pI see. Welcome to the board, Lisa! :cheese:
Ed

ktani
February 27th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Oh :whistle:. I am ashamed :oops:. Sorry. I don't know this name because I am from austria :cool: :p

The boards can be confusing, especially if English is not your first language.

I do not have that excuse and I still cannot sometimes understand real short forms at first.

You did the right thing by asking. No shame in that.

and Welcome to LHC!

Carolyn
February 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Welcome to LHC, Lisa! There is a lot of lingo to learn even for native English speakers. Just ask when you don't understand something and someone will come along with an explanation. You can't learn unless you ask.

Ed I suppose we could come up with an ED abbrevation just for you :D

HoneyMouse
February 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM
ED sometimes meens Editor or Edited so it can be a bit puzzling

JamieLeigh
February 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I hate it when people say that. Sure, it will grow back if something happens to it, but that isn't the point! It's important to me, therefore I feel perfectly within my rights to have hurt feelings if someone else belittles it. What's a big deal to me isn't a big deal to everyone...but then again, it's the same way for just about anything. A few years ago, I would have probably said that same thing "It's JUST hair...it'll grow back" because I didn't know how to effectively take care of it like I do now, and I wasn't happy with the way it looked. Now that I've spent so much time trying to make it look nice, it does get on my nerves when someone else doesn't recognize that I've put effort into it. :rolleyes:

I bet it would anger those same people, if you were to comment, while making a scratch in someone's car: "It's JUST paint...you can redo it!!" Yet THEIR car's paint job is unimportant to you! But you would know better than to do something like that and then comment in that manner, right? ;)

EdG
February 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
ED sometimes meens Editor or Edited so it can be a bit puzzlingGood point. That abbreviation wouldn't have occurred to me. :)

Ed I suppose we could come up with an ED abbrevation just for you :DMy mind boggles at the possibilities. :bigeyes: :eyebrows: :tmi:.
Ed

Carolyn
February 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
My mind boggles at the possibilities. :bigeyes: :eyebrows: :tmi:.
EdMine too :p That's why I didn't post anything that came to mind ;)

AJoifulNoise
February 27th, 2009, 09:19 AM
The thing that tickles me is that people say "It's JUST hair" when they are making a big deal out of it. At least, that's my experience. If it was just hair, what are they flailing about?

Fluke
February 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I hate comments like that in general, whether it's "it's just hair", "it's just a game", "It's just this or it's just that".

No matter what it's about, you are either being ridiculed or something you think is important is deemed unimportant by someone else, thus making *you* feel unimportant.
The more important the thing in question is to you and the more important the person making the comment is the more it hurts.

akurah
February 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
It IS just hair, but it's MY hair. Kind of like my car is just a car, but that doesn't mean I don't strive to take care of it, or if I wreck it, I won't be upset.

Yeah, when it comes down to it, it is JUST hair, and thus, not, say, worth killing someone over or holding a century long grudge over, but it still deserves the same respect someone would give to your clothes, your car, your books, or anything else. It's yours, not theirs.

Aisha25
February 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I hate comments like that in general, whether it's "it's just hair", "it's just a game", "It's just this or it's just that".

No matter what it's about, you are either being ridiculed or something you think is important is deemed unimportant by someone else, thus making *you* feel unimportant.
The more important the thing in question is to you and the more important the person making the comment is the more it hurts.
:agree: Thats right

~GypsyCurls~
February 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Then again, it IS just hair. It will grow back if something happens. To me though, my hair is more than just hair. It represents a lot.

Hmm...

This is true...it is just hair, just dead protein growing out of your skin but it represents a lot, like you said. To me, it symbolizes my uniqueness, my sensuality, my femininity.

To anyone who would come up to you and mess up your intricate style, I would love to burn 'em a little with a lighter and then say, "it's just skin!" when they wince in pain! Hmph!

Alli.2009
February 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I agree that it depends on the situation. I have found that sometimes people are saying it's just hair to say that it is not really important at all, to belittle you and your interests. However, sometimes it's being said because you are freaking out or getting stressed or getting really upset and need a little perspective. I tell myself it's just hair all the time right now as I experiment and learn. When I need a good couple of inches cut because my ends look horrible... "It's just hair, it'll grow back even healthier" When I try a new wash technique or something and it turns out dry, dull and frizzy... "It's just hair, I'll try something else next time" When I get frustrated that I'm never going to have a good, easy natural routine or the length I want to achieve... well you get the point. Hair is important to me, like sports are important to some, but sometimes we need to be reminded to relax and not obsess (at least I do!)

zen_oven
February 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Comments like that sometimes bother me. My hair is important to me, so if someone says "it's just hair" or gets annoyed with me for caring about it, it tends to make me feel belittled. I just don't really talk to non-longhairs about this stuff, because they often seem to think I'm weird for taking this stuff seriously. But I have LHC and a few longhaired friends to talk to, so it's okay.

Rohele
February 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I wanted to reply before I read any other responses.

My take on it is, yeah, its just hair.

Compared to other things in life, its pretty minor. Yes we put a lot of time and investment into it, but compared to some things in life, such as the death or sickness of a loved one, or even things like secure employment, a safe and stable place to live it doesn't mean much. Put in that context, someone ruffling my hair is pretty minor. Even making a bad mistake and cutting it off, or dying it until its fried and falls out, pretty minor. Its hair, its grows, it may frustrate us at times, but it is no way the be all and end all of life, KWIM?

spidermom
February 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
In a way, I'm comforted by that phrase.

Jim
February 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
It is a bit of a conundrum isn't it. When you say it to someone else, perhaps you are belittling their feelings a bit. I hadn't thought about it like that before. I'll have to rethink what I say to my son when I tell him turn off the playstation when he is in the middle of a game: "it's just a game". I guess to him getting the highest score is important. I'll have to ponder this a bit. I guess I am trying to express to him where I think he should place the game in the range of things that he or I or all of us deem important. Perhaps it's not the best way to do it though.

When I say to myself "it's just hair", I guess I am doing the same thing... trying to place it in the scheme of things. While I may value it because I like it, would I give it up for something or someone else? Yes for some things, no for others.

I guess the good news is, as they say, that it will grow back!

Interesting question. Who'd have expected it here. It's just a hair board, after all! :)

JIm

Themyst
February 27th, 2009, 10:35 AM
It's pretty personal to me. I read stories about women who have been made to take their hair down for airport security and I cringe - having to do something like that would be like having to take my clothes off.

ETA - And I don't grow my hair for religious purposes or anything. It's just for me. I realize my some people will think my pov is nuts.

akka naeda
February 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
It is just hair:)
I can say this because over the past couple of months I have had hospital treatment, which while it hasn't affected my hair yet, there is the possibility more may need to be done it the future that will.
I thought this before anyway, but more so now.
And because it is just hair, I will admit to not understanding the reactions of some people on this site when they say for example that they lost a strand or two because it got caught in something and then they get very upset.
At this point I probably get lynched:)

Sunshine69
February 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
For some people, hair is just stuff that grows on their heads. Others feel part of their identity wrapped up in their hair. Often saying "just this" or "just that" is used in an undermining or dismissive way. However, a person might say "it's just hair" and not really understand the value you place on your hair. The person may not mean to offend you. I think it's fair to ask.

Spike
February 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hmm . . . it's "just" hair the same way it's "just" poetry, "just" a game, "just" a car.

I think we all have pieces of our identity expressed in externals that may or may not be sensible to someone else. I don't get team loyalty, myself. The players change every season, so you cheer for Joe Scmooladoo in 2009 because he's on *your* team, and boo poor Joe the next year because he's *not*. (scratches head . . . GENTLY!!!)

Eireann
February 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Ho many of the people who say "it's just hair" would be willing to shave their heads bald? :hmm:

chelssix
February 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM
You know, it really just is hair, and it will grow back, but it's still something that I grew. It's mine, and it's only mine. It's got my DNA in it!
But as for the ruffling, I hate that! It's not so much that the updo is complicated, it's that when you mess it up, it will probably start to tug at my scalp.

RancheroTheBee
February 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ho many of the people who say "it's just hair" would be willing to shave their heads bald? :hmm:

That is an extremely good point. I think I'll use that sometime.

Alaskanheart
February 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM
That statement doesnt bother me. It is just hair, Its my hair and I take care of it and am growing it, but its still just hair. If I got Cancer and needed Chemo, I wouldnt be Thinking about my hair falling out, I would be thinking about my life and my children. I know my children would rather have a bald mom than no mom at all. I know thats an extreme example, but thats how I feel about it. I say this of course as I have tons of oil in my hair, with my silk sleepcap and a wool beanie on my head.

ratgirldjh
February 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM
well my best friend (who has waist length thick red hair that she abuses with horrible hair products) just told me yesterday that i am too obsessed with my hair and need to find something else to do... that bothered me ;)

MadPirateBippy
February 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, a a man's dangly bits are JUST one to six inches of funny-looking gristle.

You notice they get very, very caught up in THAT though.

Sunshine69
February 27th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Good point ;)

Anje
February 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM
For me, it is just hair, and I like having it this way. Cutting it short would be like getting a zit on my nose that took a few years to go away -- not really all that devastating, but it would annoy me because my appearance wasn't as nice as I'd like it to be. It's not a part of who I am, but it's an enhancement to my appearance.

Now the red, on the other hand, would be more difficult to part with. I can handle going gray, but I would seriously freak out if I woke up one morning as a blond, no matter how good it looked. Maybe more than other hair colors, natural redheads are used to standing out a bit in a crowd, and it probably affects our identities.

Kleis
February 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
"It's just _____"

To me, that simply means, "Hey, I don't care about it, so why should you?" I take it as a sign of apathy, disinterest or posturing on the part of someone else. Just because you don't care, why should I not care?

Yes, it's just hair. And so..? Does this mean I should cut it off? It'll still be "just hair," but it'll be hair I don't like as much anymore. If I happened to lose it from illness, I'll be grateful I survived but simultaneously sad that I lost the hair. Mourning one aspect of myself would hardly mean I'd downplay survival! They are two different things.

I honestly think most people who bring this up are trolling for a reaction. :shrug:

Carolyn
February 27th, 2009, 02:00 PM
"It's just _____"
Yes, it's just hair. And so..? Does this mean I should cut it off? It'll still be "just hair," but it'll be hair I don't like as much anymore. If I happened to lose it from illness, I'll be grateful I survived but simultaneously sad that I lost the hair. Mourning one aspect of myself would hardly mean I'd downplay survival! They are two different things.Just what I was thinking but hadn't put it into words.

CarriAnne
February 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Hmm...

How does this statement make me feel? Angry. Annoyed. Irritated. Exasperated. All the while thinking, "get a clue."

Say "it's JUST hair" to a teen girl who just had hers fall out from chemo. Or any person for that matter. It's not "just hair," it's part of who we are, part of how we identify ourselves. If it wasn't an important part of our existence, there would be no hair salons, no hair products, no coloring agents, and no hair toys. Hairstylists would be out of a job.

Granted, with cancer you're fighting for your life, and of course that is most important and takes priority over everything else. But the hair loss is a very real loss. I speak from experience, as lost mine to chemo at age 15 and was bald for a year and a half during the late '80s/early '90s, when long hair was everywhere. To me, it's not "just hair." It's part of me and I felt naked and like a stranger to myself without it. Yes, it grew back, but to this day, it's taking forever to grow past BSL.

jeniffer
February 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
When people say such things I always wonder how come they don't realise how much time we put in it to get it that long and heathy. I think just out of respect they should not say such things.
I have to say that I didn't understand how nice it is to have long hair untill I started growing it out, so maybe you will only know when you have don it at least once in your life.

freznow
February 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
When something offends me in some way (Maybe the person has the idea to do something to my hair, and I dislike the idea/action. But it works for any other example you could think of.), if they say "It's just hair", it's infuriating. The person would then be belittling me (or whoever it's in response to) and my opinions.

However, when something is causing me distress (say, I'm having a bad hair day), when someone says "It's just hair", that's appreciated. Because it's minimizing a stressor that I may not feel like I can control. (On the other hand, it is something I can control. Should that make a difference?)

So... "It's just hair" can mean two different things. "It's just ____" can mean so many. "It was just a joke!" in defense of an offensive joke is infuriating. I hardly ever hear that one in different contexts, though hair certainly has at least two. Mostly, though, when I think of situations when someone says "It's just ___", it turns out to be what Kleis said. Whether it's someone who cares not about your feelings, or your friend trying to minimize an annoyance, that doesn't mean it still doesn't bother you.

Kleis
February 27th, 2009, 02:58 PM
However, when something is causing me distress (say, I'm having a bad hair day), when someone says "It's just hair", that's appreciated. Because it's minimizing a stressor that I may not feel like I can control. (On the other hand, it is something I can control. Should that make a difference?)

That's a great distinction. When someone is trying to make you refocus your priorities so you feel better about yourself, it's worlds away from refocusing your priorities in a way that belittles something you value.

susiemw
February 27th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Most of the time, that phrase is said in an attempt to .....darn, I lost the phrase I had...
but it definitely seems to be a way to belittle what you desire or care about and that is never good. It's very disrespectful.

I vote for rejecting that idea (that it's just hair) and the next time I heard it, I would ask the person speaking why they felt the need to disrespect feelings. I would throw it back in their lap because they certainly aren't saying that phrase to make you feel better.

Now, in the past if a cut has gone wrong (on myself) I will console myself by telling myself (over and over again) "it'll grow" "the good thing about hair, is it'll grow back!" but that is different than telling someone they shouldn't be upset because of a bad cut.. yes it's ok to be upset. I'd never want to disrespect myself or someone else by negating their feelings.

I see people do that to others and it's just an ugly thing to do to someone. In most instances it just instantly shuts down communication because they've just told you they don't value your feelings. It might be "just hair" but your feelings about it are important and should be respected.

Just because something isn't important to me doesn't give me the right to say it shouldn't be important to others or that their feelings aren't important.

I was in a similar situation once... I had my garage destroyed in a storm. My garage did not have my car in it and I used my garage for storage and it was FULL. LOTS of stuff in there.
it was almost all destroyed. But there was nothing in the garage with sentimental value it was just "stuff". No one was hurt. And my car was in another location and undamaged

I wasn't upset. I just wasn't. Was it inconvenient? yes, but that was ok. I thought it was a blessing no one was hurt. My feelings were "it's just stuff" but I took a lot of flack for not being more upset. No one around me could understand why I wasn't upset.

I never could figure out why other people thought they had the right to tell me how to feel about what had just happened to me. Maybe it would be a different story if I were in denial but I thought my values and feelings were valid in this situation.... What gall of others to tell me how I should be feeling! The same thing applies here....who the heck is someone to tell you how you should feel about your hair?!! that takes a lot of gall.

susan

TessieAnn
February 27th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Let your hair be an expression of yourself. Let it be a hobby or even an obsession if you want to. Let it be something that you spend a great deal of time caring for and enjoying. Let it be a source of friendship and communication with like-minded souls on LHC. Let it be your crowning glory.

Just don't be your hair.

If your hair doesn't meet your expectations in thickness, color, texture, styles, please don't let that devastate you. And understand that it's okay if others don't share your aesthetic. Brush off their comments and carry on with your own life.

Perspective and context are everything!

Unicorn
February 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I one of those "It's just hair" people. For me it's a form of entertainment, pleasure artistry. For me it really isn't part of my identity and I can't remember a time when it was. Right now, I really want to grow it long, at least hip length and I'm aware it will take time care and patience to get there, but that's it. I fully intend to enjoy the process, but it isn't 'serious for me. I have so much 'stuff' going on in my life that I need something light hearted to cheer my days. Something positive to focus on after a bad day. As for the comment, it's all about context, if used to belittle or as an excuse to invade one's personal space, then it's offensive. Or to rephrase it the attitude rather than the sentiment that may be an issue.

In my mind Susan's comment sums it up exactly

Snip.... It might be "just hair" but your feelings about it are important and should be respected.

Unicorn

Sissy
February 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I definitely agree with this. My hair is very important to me. I feel like it's more than "just hair".

rags
February 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
"It's just _____"

To me, that simply means, "Hey, I don't care about it, so why should you?" I take it as a sign of apathy, disinterest or posturing on the part of someone else. Just because you don't care, why should I not care?

Yes, it's just hair. And so..? Does this mean I should cut it off? It'll still be "just hair," but it'll be hair I don't like as much anymore. If I happened to lose it from illness, I'll be grateful I survived but simultaneously sad that I lost the hair. Mourning one aspect of myself would hardly mean I'd downplay survival! They are two different things.

I honestly think most people who bring this up are trolling for a reaction. :shrug:

This. Exactly. I did lose over half my waist length hair due to illness two years ago, and chopped what little was left very short. While I am very glad to still be here, I still miss my hair.

spidermom
February 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
The reason I find it comforting is that sometimes I give my hair too much importance. Example -- I'm braiding it and hear a snap/pop and realize I broke a hair or two. Or I try a new style, and it doesn't look good, but I have no time to re-do it. "It's just hair," turns my attention away from getting into a complete funk about something that really doesn't matter. If my hair doesn't turn out right, there is still my outfit, my jewelry, my attitude, etc to carry me through.

wintersun99
February 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM

No matter what it's about, you are either being ridiculed or something you think is important is deemed unimportant by someone else, thus making *you* feel unimportant. The more important the thing in question is to you and the more important the person making the comment is the more it hurts.

This...........

feralnature
February 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
When I say "It's just hair", it's okay. When someone else says "It's just hair", it's NOT okay.

rags
February 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
The reason I find it comforting is that sometimes I give my hair too much importance. Example -- I'm braiding it and hear a snap/pop and realize I broke a hair or two. Or I try a new style, and it doesn't look good, but I have no time to re-do it. "It's just hair," turns my attention away from getting into a complete funk about something that really doesn't matter. If my hair doesn't turn out right, there is still my outfit, my jewelry, my attitude, etc to carry me through.

This makes perfect sense to me. I do the same thing!

GlennaGirl
February 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
People don't say this to me, but then again, I really never bring it up. I do think that if a friend went on and on about her hair, I'd feel uncomfortable, just as I would if she went on and on about her legs, her eyes, her anything.

I wonder whether some people may get the "it's just hair" comment frequently because they're just talking about it an inordinate amount. Not saying they're not justified in being hurt; just saying, don't go looking for trouble...you know?

noelgirl
February 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
When I say "It's just hair", it's okay. When someone else says "It's just hair", it's NOT okay.

That about sums it up. It's as if when someone else says it, they think that telling me not to feel the way I do will make it so. And that's not how it works. Emotions are a funny thing - if someone tries to negate them, they only become all the stronger.

dearladydisdain
February 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I suppose it depends on the situation and how it is said.

If I am upset about getting it cut too short and I tell myself "it's just hair," then that's great.

If I get mad at someone off-handedly telling me to cut my hair and they tell me "it's just hair," then that is demeaning and NOT okay.

I guess that's still along the lines of whether you say it or someone else says it.

Speedbump
February 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM
If someone feels this way about their own hair, that's fine with me. How someone else feels about a part of their body is their business. However, I think that we have all often heard this statement directed *at* people instead of being about how someone feels about themselves. If someone said it at me, it probably wouldn't get me really riled up, but I also would know to never trust my hair around that person, too. And obviously they also wouldn't be someone that I would talk hair with, either. :lol:

twilight_faerie
February 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Well, to an extent, I think "it's just hair" applies. I don't think hair is worth crying over or worrying over in most cases. That said, hair is more important to most of us than it is to the average person; we tend to spend more time nurturing it and taking care of it. So I think someone telling you "it's just hair" is very insensitive.

(did you hear about the girl who had sex with someone for WOW gold?

I haven't, but I did read a post on postsecret.com about a girl whose husband let her have sex with other men so he could get better Everquest gear.

Unofficial_Rose
February 28th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Hair has a pretty big impact on how most people feel about themselves, and how others perceive them.

For example, think of someone with hair like Pamela Anderson - people see it and unconsciously make assumptions even if the person was dressed modestly etc.

Or a woman's hair, cut like a man would cut it (very different from a woman's pixie cut). It has associations...

These are extremes, but as someone who has been treated massively differently even by the same people whether blonde or brunette it's not something that can be simply dismissed.

A bit like with clothes - they tend to say something about the wearer, whether we intend it to or not.

Also an ugly haircut can make me feel ugly for as long as it takes to grow out, whilst glamorous hair makes a person feel super-confident. Confidence = go out there and get the things you want. Unconfident = stay in house!

Unofficial_Rose
February 28th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I haven't, but I did read a post on postsecret.com about a girl whose husband let her have sex with other men so he could get better Everquest gear.

Sorry for double-post, but that is the lousiest excuse for "swinging" I have ever heard in my life! :confused: Then again it's kind of hilarious!:rollin:

Honey39
February 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I like my hair a lot, I have always been fond of hair, it matters to me. I think it's a good feature, and I think, because I am large, it is part of me that I can lavish love and attention on without having weight issues involved.

HOWEVER - yes, it is just hair. I tore a finger off just before Christmas, and although a relatively minor accident, that can't grow back or be replaced. I would be very upset if I lost my hair, but I could always have a wig that was amazing. As it is, I am getting used to losing a part of my hand and being visibly different, it affects my day to day life and it hurts. I only mention this because it's a body part, and because it kind of shows me that there is a difference, that hair at the end of the day IS just hair.

No offence to anyone meant, it was just that my recent experience of amputation made me reflect on this post. :flowers:

Buddaphlyy
February 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM
This has been my motto since I've been a member of hair boards. Of course hair is important and can make the difference between someone having high or low self-esteem for a day (or more), but at the end of the day, regardless of what happens to your hair, it will continue to grow. Now it may take longer or not get as long as one would hope, but it's still going to do it's job of growing.

Starr
February 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
This phrase is usually said to me by friends who abuse the heck out their hair, try to justify the abuse and the expect me to abuse my hair as well- "It's just hair."

The dialog goes something like this:

Friend- "Hey Starr, why don't you cut/dye/fry your hair?"

Me- "Been there, done that. I'm over it."

Friend- "But I do it all the time and my hair looks cool/fashionable/original etc. After all, it's just hair."

Me- "Well if it just hair then why do you spend x amount of time trying to make it look a certain way? And why do you have a bug up your butt that I MUST do something to mine. Why don't you just ignore it and let do it's thing. After all, it's just hair."

Friend- ". . . "

Me- "Yeah that's what I thought. GOOHWTBS!":spitting:

Für immer
February 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
"Just hair"? That's not true. If one day you lose your hair, you are going to miss it, that I can guarantee.

Feline
February 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I think "it's just hair" can be a cover for rudeness, either intentional or unintentional. And in truth, it is not THE most important thing in the world. I consider my hair to be a part of my identity, and would be very upset it I lost it for no good reason, but if it were a choice between hair and life itself, then obviously the hair would lose. In the meantime, however, I have no intention of cutting/perming/whatever just because someone else thinks I ought to. It may just be hair, but it is my hair!

susiemw
February 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Well, to an extent, I think "it's just hair" applies. I don't think hair is worth crying over or worrying over in most cases. .

LOL, you obviously never saw the one really miserable perm I had that left me with poodle hair.... it was worth crying over!
Luckily it was the only perm that went bad but it went really really bad. You probably would have cried for me! It was
truely hideous and it took a long time to grow out and relax.
so, while I agree with you that it's "just hair" when things go wrong it really can effect your self esteem.

susan

Monkey962
February 28th, 2009, 05:57 PM
This phrase is usually said to me by friends who abuse the heck out their hair, try to justify the abuse and the expect me to abuse my hair as well- "It's just hair."

The dialog goes something like this:

Friend- "Hey Starr, why don't you cut/dye/fry your hair?"

Me- "Been there, done that. I'm over it."

Friend- "But I do it all the time and my hair looks cool/fashionable/original etc. After all, it's just hair."

Me- "Well if it just hair then why do you spend x amount of time trying to make it look a certain way? And why do you have a bug up your butt that I MUST do something to mine. Why don't you just ignore it and let do it's thing. After all, it's just hair."

Friend- ". . . "

Me- "Yeah that's what I thought. GOOHWTBS!":spitting:

I agree with this entirely. Saying 'it's just hair' is sort of a double-edged sword in that regard. You could say, "it's just hair, it'll grow back", or you could say "it's just hair, why do you care?".

Oskimosa
February 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Well, saying that to myself over and over kept me from crying when a very bad stylist cut out a 4" squared chunk out of my past-BSL hair a few months before my wedding! :D

Nae
June 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
Sometimes hair IS just hair. Sometimes it is part of our identity because it is part of our appearance. People who randomly say that to others though have NO clue how much time we put into this particular hobby. And if they do know they obviously don't care. Saying it is "Just _______" to me is a attempt at control.

Calaelen
June 2nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
ED sometimes meens Editor or Edited so it can be a bit puzzling
it can also be an abbreviation for Eating Disorder. Also, how come nobody has mentioned that Ed, as a name, is usually the short form of Edward? I assume that in this case it is as well?

Lianna
June 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM
I think not many people would say "it's just hair" if they didn't have any.

FrannyG
June 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM
I don't mind when people say "it's just hair", if they're discussing their own hair, but I don't like it when they're talking about my hair. My hair has always been an important part of who I am, even back in the days of perms and shorter hair.

On the other hand, when I've had to cut out damage, or had any sort of hair disaster, it's been comforting to me to be able to say to myself, "It's just hair. It will grow back." :)

Feng-Shui
June 2nd, 2010, 06:22 AM
I agree with FrannyG. :flower:

SHELIAANN1969
June 2nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
*It's just hair*, My first reaction to that statement is *My a$$*!!

For me, it isn't *just hair* for someone else it may be. That's ok if *THEY* think that *THEIR* hair is *JUST HAIR*, so long as they aren't shoving their opinions down my gullet, that's fine with me.

I also don't shove my love of hair and my opinion on anyone else either, I may cringe and wince, but I keep it to myself.

On my head, it isn't JUST hair, it is a part of my identity.

julliams
June 2nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
"It's just hair" is what I should be thinking but unfortunately I don't. I wish I could pay less attention to it and then one day I would wake up and realise my hair was at waist length and I didn't even notice!

JenniferNoel
June 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
My hair is my friend and I love her! :p
I have other hobbies, like playing music, and I wouldn't like it any more if someone rolled their eyes at my $2k keyboard and said "it's just an electronic piano" really.
To each his own...

Mutinous
June 2nd, 2010, 09:32 AM
I would love to say this phrase annoys me but I would be the world's biggest hypocrite. I constantly say things like "it's just a game" or when someone wants something overpriced I will say "it's just a bag", for example. And I can see how exasperated this makes people, but we all have our opinions I suppose.

kabelaced
June 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
When making light of bad situations, "it's JUST hair."

When you fork out big bucks for vitamins, combs, hair toys, serums and shampoos and conditioners and god knows what else...when you pay a lot of attention to the state of your hair, bunning it and protecting it and letting down once in a while (or just keeping it down)...when you painstakingly research what it likes best...when you put up with so many bad hair days, photoshop your length, meditate on what it would feel like if it were absolutely perfect...

Once it's come to that, it's not "just hair" - it's an investment, a jewel, a source of pride! :cheese:

And if some Joe Shmoe or Negative Ned is gonna come try and bring me down about it, then I'm sure there is something they're passionate about that I could knock, too. :cool:

teela1978
June 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
To me its just hair :shrug:

jane53
June 2nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah, to me it was 'just hair' until people started harassing me to cut it 'at my age'. Then I realized that to them it was more than 'just hair', so it kinda became more than 'just hair' to me.

Theobroma
June 2nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah, to me it was 'just hair' until people started harassing me to cut it 'at my age'. Then I realized that to them it was more than 'just hair', so it kinda became more than 'just hair' to me.

I honestly don't get how people think they have any right to dictate hair length to anyone on the grounds of age. Honestly, if anyone ever tries that one on me I'm going to inform them that, I'm so sorry, but "at my age" I don't have any precious time to waste on styling shorter hair every day when I can toss mine into an updo in the morning in twenty seconds flat and look elegant until evening!

Purdy Bear
June 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
For me 'its just hair', is a bit like sticking your head in the sand. Its the old saying until you loose it do you realise how important it is.

Your hair not only keeps you warm, but also cools you down, it keeps dust out of your eyes, and your lungs and stops nasties going into your body by protecting your skin. It is socially important, and is one of those things that society links with sexuality, behaviour and so on. Anyone who doesnt fit in the norm, is said to be strange, weird, odd etc.

If anyone wants to swop with me, please do, I love my hair (what I have of it), and its very much a part of who I am.

Peter
June 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
I'm not really annoyed by it, but I do think it's not very considerate to assume that other people share your opinion about their own hair. What does bother me is when people feel entitled to touch my hair without asking. That's my take on it. :twocents:

wickedwitch
June 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
I agree for the most part. Not that I wouldn't be at all upset if something happened to mine, but the beauty of hair is that it grows back. I've twice cut my hair from waist length to slightly above my shoulders, and I'm still able to grow it to waist length again.

Plus, it's dead.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Plus, it's dead.

Now that's the phrase I take exception to. If it has a root and is growing, it is not dead.

jane53
June 2nd, 2010, 10:45 AM
I honestly don't get how people think they have any right to dictate hair length to anyone on the grounds of age. Honestly, if anyone ever tries that one on me I'm going to inform them that, I'm so sorry, but "at my age" I don't have any precious time to waste on styling shorter hair every day when I can toss mine into an updo in the morning in twenty seconds flat and look elegant until evening!

People assume that long hair is massively time consuming. I always assure them it's lazy hair. No tedious blow-drying. Just a twist and a flick of the wrist and a hair stick and I'm done with styling in 30 seconds!

teela1978
June 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
I think that's where my "it's just hair" philosophy comes from though. It's just hair, why do you care how I keep it?

VERONICAT
June 2nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
I used to feel like an stupid teenager who exagerates everything. Now, my hair is for me very important, like other parts of my body (hands, skin...). Obviously, whe can live without hair, but what I mean is: It´s not just hair, is a part of our body and we must to care it

VERONICAT
June 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
whe can live

Sorry, I wrote it too fast! I tried to say: We can live

Miasen
June 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, sure, I could live without hair, so in that sense. But if I were to lose my hair for some reason, I would be thorougly devastated, and to be honest, I'd probably go into hiding and not come out again. It means a lot to me, so in that way, no, it's not just hair. It's my hair, and I love it. It's probably the one thing I do like about my looks after all...

Laurenji
June 2nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Just a twist and a flick of the wrist and a hair stick and I'm done with styling in 30 seconds!

I now have the song "a lovely bunch of coconuts" or whatever it's called stuck in my head.

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
There they are, standing in a row
Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head
Give them a twist, a flick of the wrist
That's what the showman said...

/hijack

Copasetic
June 2nd, 2010, 12:47 PM
I kind of agree with the statement its just hair. I really hate the whole "good hair care" mentality that a lot of people have. If someone wants to tease and bleach their hair, its their business. At the same time, I don't like it when people say "its just hair" in order to convince me to cut it or dye it. Its pretty annoying.

Unofficial_Rose
June 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
The thing is, if said hair looks bad to the owner of the hair, chances are they will feel down about it - and how you feel is pretty crucial to confidence levels etc. and could potentially affect one's ability to find employment, form relationships, that kind of stuff.

LisaJaney
June 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Just hair to me, too. Didn't used to be, but I've mellowed and am not as worried about it as I used to be. I'm also happier with it, now that I'm not fretting about the length as much. It's been very freeing, to me, to let go of that aspect and just focus on healthy and looks-good, rather than "gotta be longer" and "gotta be all one length or it doesn't count".

Quixii
June 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
I don't know. I don't think starting anything with "It's just..." is likely to be a good statement. Like "It's just highschool." Yeah, maybe, but highschool is part of the building blocks of a teenager's current and later life.
Maybe it's just hair, but it's my hair that I take great pleasure in.

Silver & Gold
June 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
I've read through the 1st 7 pages of this thread so although I haven't read all, I have a good idea of the discussion.

Anyway my take on it is that the statement isn't wrong or even unkind. Hair is just hair, we can survive quite easily bald-headed. (Although I can't begin to imagine how I would display all my hairtoys.)

Whether or not it's rude depends on the context of the statement. If I were to lose all my hair to chemo-therapy and a friend came up to me and gave me a lovely scarf and tried to make me feel beautiful and then patted me on the back and said, "Hey, it's just hair, right?" I wouldn't be likely to be insulted.

However, if someone said it to me in a way to insult me because they thought I was too hair-obsessed I would feel another way altogether.

I don't think it's about the statement so much as it's about the meaning behind the statement.

LoversLullaby
June 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
My DBF does this occasionally but I know he is joking, he always tells me how much he loves my hair and he can't wait for it to grow longer. :)

But if someone said it to me and (unlike my DBF) TRULY meant it, I would be offended. My hair is my favorite feature on me. It defines me. I love it. For someone to say that to me and not have respect for the way I am about my hair would insult me. Also, for some reason, when someone says that, I always think that they're saying my hair doesn't look good. It could be just me being a bit oversensitive though. ^^

All in all, like what Silver & Gold said, I think it depends on the context and the intent. I can take a joke from my DBF, and in some situations (like what they said) it's ok to say it. But sometimes it's just uncalled for. Some people just don't have filters on their mouths. :shrug:

renarok
June 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
It is interesting how these three words can be interpreted. I guess it is totally in whatever context the speaker means.

Yes it could be insulting, if the phrase is used to devalue or dismiss your personal feelings toward your hair. We here at LHC know that growing a healthy beautiful head of hair is a long term commitment.
I do not talk about my hair or my hair care to very many people because most people wouldn't care. I don't want to be that person people dread talking to because they go on and on about a topic only they find fascinating.....We all know a person like this.:p

But on the other hand, in the grand scheme of things, hair really is just hair.

Sylvanas
June 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
For me it's a way to put things into perspective. I can love my own hair, and admire other people's locks, so it's not something I say to suggest it's wrong to care about what your hair looks like. If my hair started breaking off because of damage, or I got a bad haircut and had to cut more to even it out a bit - what have I lost? Just hair. It is just hair, and not a vital organ. It's ok to feel bad about it for a while, but too much is just unhealthy imo :)

May
June 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
When I hear "it's just hair" it kind of puts things into perspective...and at times I welcome it gladly :) My hair is important to me and I care more about my hair than sports teams or makeup for example...

Henrietta
June 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM

Whether it's in response to a wince when someone ruffles your hair and ruins a style, or when it comes to getting a 'trim', or what about when you rant to someone about a bad ingredient in the shampoo you just bought...

Is this something that we need to realize, or need to reject?

Hmm...

Exactly.

I know it will grow if something happens.

But I am not like wash-and-go, like most of my friends. They don't care, totally, because hair is just a hair, they ponytail it as they won't it to get in a way, and they go to hairdresser when it's too long and they need too much time to blowdry it. So it depends on an attitude. There will always be people that don't care about a hair, like... knees. Do you take care or think about your knees? You have them, ok, they are ok, they don't disturb you. For some people hair is such thing too. They can treat it like that.

But I hate when someone who knows that hair is important for me says "it's just a hair, cut it, don't baby it so much." They don't understand that if someone LIKES hair, it means that he or she TAKES CARE about it.

It's like... cars. To me, car is to drive it, to help me to get somewhere fast. It must have wheels. It MAY look nice, but if I don't have money, I won't buy a nice car, I will buy ANY good order car that goes. And for someone else car have to be super fast, nice, has specific engine and... all these things.
For me hair is that thing. It's not like "who cares".

Foxknot
June 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
It's strange how three words can cause such strong emotion. I, myself, cannot stand having that said to me. >:

My hair is something really precious to me...I love it. Most people interpret that as being vain, but, to me, my hair is almost like something separate from me...it's something I have to take care of. That sounds odd...but that's how I feel. e_e I know my hair is just hair...but it's my hair, and I want it to be healthy. I don't see how people can act the way they do about it. In a way, I guess, they take their hair for granted.

Not many people have actually said to me "It's JUST hair", and I can't say I remember all the situations in which it was said to me. I do remember, though, the most recent time. One of my closest friends absolutely abuses her hair, and it drives me insane. She recently dyed it from black(which had been dyed from brown)to blond, and, in order to do that, had to bleach it multiple times...which completely fried her hair. e.e Right after that, she was at my house and I took my hair down from a braid and started brushing it out with a BBB. I brushed it for about a minute and a half(which is rather short for me..>>)and she then commented, "Geez, did you brush it enough? It's just hair...I never brush my hair that long. I hope you know that you'll probably be bald by twenty-five."

I really wanted to say, "I'm not the one who bleached my hair four times in one month", but I didn't. I kinda wish I had said it. >>

UltraBella
June 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
I volunteer for our local Look Good Feel Better program. It supplies makeup kits and training to women actively fighting cancer in hopes that they will feel more confident and comfortable, and have a little fun playing with all the new gifts.
Most of them are bald, and it's okay because in the end..... It really IS just hair, and they are alive and thankful.
Funny, I never ever wear my hair down when I do the sessions.

Twil
June 2nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
It's not just hair! It's a 15 minute shower followed by 10 minutes of brushing and styling and another 5 of making sure it stays in place. Not to mention about 25 bucks worth of hair products a month.

I try not to be to sensitive about my hair though, why take away the joy out of sproinging curls from strangers on the bus?

Barniie
June 3rd, 2010, 12:12 AM
My friends constantly calls me 'hair-obsessed' and that I need to 'get a life' grr..

IcarusBride
June 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM
I can see where people are coming from, saying this. To THEM, it may just be hair. But to me, it is important. Backcombing, bleaching, and straitening their shoulder-length hair might not be a big deal to them because in a year or two, they can grow it back. But to tell someone who has been growing their hair as long as most of us, that it is "Just hair" is absolutely disrespectful.

I've gotten that exact phrase snapped at me many times, usually by my brother who has a habit of coming over and rubbing up and down on my back (as a method of greeting?). When my hair happens to be down (only when it's air-drying) he rubs it 'against the grain' and I freak out. I really can't stand it.

BlueMuse
June 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
As long as the person who is saying it isn't coming at me with scissors I generally don't mind. Nor do I care what they do with their hair if it's "just hair" to them. Though I will say something if I think what they're going to do could result in massive breakage or a color they would hate.

Ludde
June 3rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
It IS just hair, after all. As I am just a human among a lot of other humans. But it is at the same time MY hair and by that it is a bit more interesting to me.

beez1717
June 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM
My hair to me is not just my hair
it represents lots of fine care
I wash it my way
so it shines everyday
So you see why it's not "just my hair"

My quick hair limerick. I hope you like it.