PDA

View Full Version : Will face framing layers work for me?

Rosemary
March 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hi, my hair is presently just a smidgen past tailbone length. I don't know if it has just been a long winter for me, but I'm unhappy with how my hair has just been "hanging" there. I'm sure that it will look alot better when I'm out in the sun and get some of my red highlights again. Right now it just seems....... heavy, lifeless.... it really just is hanging. When it's in an updo, it is not doing anything great for my facial features right now. It nice and shiny though.:sun:

I think that maybe the front of my hair is a bit too long and the length is dragging the whole look down. I mostly wear my hair in buns and feel that if I got face framing layers it would soften my look. I also want to make my jawline look better when my hair is up. (gotta lose that winter weight lol) I really don't want short bangs though. I don't think I would want the starting layers to be much shorter than chin length.

Since I mostly wear updos anyways, wouldn't the layered front part slide out and frame and soften my face? Would they be super noticable (as in not looking good) when I wear my hair down? Does it look terrible on someone with my hair type? Will it be high maintenance to keep it looking good?

I'm pretty lazy as far as styling. I have to use a blowfryer or heated straightening brush for the very front part of my hair (I guess it's just my bangs that are very close to my hairline) to smooth out the three cowlicks that I have. If I don't do this, it looks terrible. I let all of the length air dry. I CWC once or twice per week, depending on how yucky it gets.

Also, I have a center part that WILL NOT change, no matter what I do, my hair will always part back in the center, so the layers have to work with that too. I was looking for styles/cuts for super long hair, (the web thinks anything longer than BSL is super long:rolleyes:) but not much popped up that I like. Besides, most of the sites want you to use all of these products to style it, (I HATE product of any kind in my hair) and I know that I'll get honest answers from you guys regarding upkeep. I just don't want some stylist to try and talk me into something that will not work WITH my hairtype.

I guess I'm just ready for a change. I don't have a real style anymore. I feel like Morticia Adams. I love my long hair, but right now it doesn't seem to have all that much movement/life. I know that it has to do with length, but I'm shooting for the majority of my hair to hit mid thigh length, so I don't want too much taken off of the back part. Unless a few layers in the back will make it look better.

And yes, I've been thinking about this for more than two weeks. I've been thinking about doing it since christmas. My hair grows quickly, so if I truly hate it, I won't have to live with it for too terribly long.

I like the front layers in the photo that I posted below. Of course, my hair is much longer, so mine would of course look a bit different than that. I really like where they started the layers. I know that her hair has product in it, and it's probably blow dried/straightened. How do you guys think it would look on me? Or maybe you guys could post some pictures on a long style that would? Maybe some of my hair twins can chime in too?

http://www.thehairstyler.com/images/celebrity/Celebrity_290.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:launchstyle('hairstyles_win.asp?idhairstyle=2405' ))

I'm sorry for the long post and all of the questions, but you guys understand. Cutting your long hair IS a big deal!:) Thanks guys!

~Rosemary

MotherConfessor
March 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Go for it! Seriously, as much as I hate cutting hair, to have your hair feel stagnant is no good at all. And if your hair grows quickly (lucky you, im seething with jealousy) then if you hate it let it grow out. If you stick with chin length layers then if you don't like it then you can pull then back in an updo.

blondecat
March 31st, 2008, 02:26 AM
my hair dresser talked me out Of a style like that, and I cut my hair blunt again.

Reason being............ It takes a lot of length out of most of your hair, there will be only and inch or two of long hair at the very back and the rest is tapered off on the framing [think of a severe triangle]

If this is what you want, go for it.

It is a loverly style [ I may cut to this eventually :)]

aisling
March 31st, 2008, 02:38 AM
It's worth trying, especially since you're pretty fed up with your hair right now. My suggestion is to start small and only make some face framing layers of what would be your "bangs". Don't go and put layers in throughout your hair, as in the pic you posted. You can always cut more layers if you feel like it, it's harder to get rid of them.

Rosemary
March 31st, 2008, 05:56 PM
my hair dresser talked me out Of a style like that, and I cut my hair blunt again.

Reason being............ It takes a lot of length out of most of your hair, there will be only and inch or two of long hair at the very back and the rest is tapered off on the framing [think of a severe triangle]

If this is what you want, go for it.

It is a loverly style [ I may cut to this eventually :)]

Yes, I see what you mean. I don't want to really lose much if any length throughout the back, because even though I want it to look like I have a "style", I'm still wanting to see how long I can grow the majority of it. Maybe the last three inches or so in graduated layers? Maybe this would make the bottom of my hair look fuller? I don't know. I have a friend who is a hairstylist. I know that she will be honest with me about what it would look like/react with my hairtype, and with me not wanting to use products in my hair.

It's worth trying, especially since you're pretty fed up with your hair right now. My suggestion is to start small and only make some face framing layers of what would be your "bangs". Don't go and put layers in throughout your hair, as in the pic you posted. You can always cut more layers if you feel like it, it's harder to get rid of them.

I think that this is what I will do. I'll start with the front and see how I like it for a month or two. I can always cut more later, but I'm really just wanting the front part cut now that I've thought some more about it. I guess I'll have to see how it looks. Besides, the main point of me doing this is to make the front have more body and movement. I want the very front to fall out of my updos. I feel like I've been looking a bit severe lately. I think this would make me look softer. I'm not going to go crazy though. Think baby steps.:silly:

Curlsgirl
March 31st, 2008, 07:39 PM
My hair is not nearly as long as yours but I have also been thinking about this. I have bangs that I am TRYING to grow out AGAIN. But I know I won't be happy without SOMETHING around my face so I wondered how the face framing layers would work. If I go to a salon will I ONLY get the face framing layers like I want or will they mess it up? I am SO paranoid of salons anymore! I would love to see pics if you decide to do it. If I was that bored with mine, I would do it. I still have bangs right now but as they grow longer and I need a difference around my face I am going to be thinking of this!

spidermom
March 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM
I absolutely love my face framing layers, and most of the time they only need to be twirled around lightly gelled fingers to "style." I wouldn't feel bad about blow-drying them, either, since they are trimmed quite often.

You don't have to lose much thickness. The first time I had mine cut, I separated out the hair that went from the top of my ear at my temple, up over the top of my head, and down to the top of my ear on the other side. The section measures less than 1-inch wide. I braided the rest of my hair back and told the stylist I only wanted some face-framing fringe. You can see how it works when my hair is down by clicking for my profile picture. My avatar shows what it does while the rest of my hair is secured.

Alaskanheart
March 31st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Ive had only face framing layers about 10 years ago when my hair was past bsl, and I liked them, I dont think they take too much length as long as you are clear to the stylist that you only want LIGHT layers around the face and to leave the back blunt.I plan on having light layers put in when i reach my goal length.Spidermoms idea is a good one, dont even give the stylist a chance to cut too much. I would suggest not having as severe layers as the picture put in right away. you can always add more if you need too.

Good luck!You have beautiful hair by the way

bruteforcegrl
March 31st, 2008, 08:50 PM
I discovered last year that I am apparently a layer-phobe when a non-longhaired person at work suggested I cut layers into my hair and I responded so adamantly negatively that I surprised myself. :hatchet:

I guess for me the problem is braiding; I don't really want any hairs that are at very different lengths and poke out. My hair is like a paint brush so when things stick out they really stick out. If you are indifferent to that, the face framing layers would probably look pretty. :blossom:
bfg

filiadeluna
March 31st, 2008, 09:16 PM
I have been considering doing the same thing. My hair is significantly shorter (waist length), though. While some very, very slight layers are still in the process of growing out from the last time I had a "professional" cut (almost two years ago), it is mostly blunt. I am considering doing a few light, face-framing layers too, but if I do the shortest length would be shoulder or collar-bone length.

I really want it to be subtle, but just enough to not look ridiculous if I leave a strand or two out of a ponytail, like you said. I would go nuts if it was chin-length b/c as I recall it's a pain in the rear to pull it all back quickly when you need to brush your teeth or wash your face.

I have pretty fine hair, so I worry that it will make it look even less thick if I do this. Then again, I feel like my hair "just hangs". *sigh* It's hard to decide, isn't it? I think if you want to, start off with two or three very subtle layers - think one level @ waist, one @ BSL, and one @ shoulder for starters. You can ALWAYS cut more length later, but you can't get it back except with time. :)

morningstar
March 31st, 2008, 09:25 PM
I am with Spidermom on this one. I love my face framing layers and feel comfortable blowf rying them because I know I will trim them back in a few months.
It softened my look and kept me from looking harsh.

Celebrian
March 31st, 2008, 09:43 PM
Face framing layers for me please! I love them, and let them hang down with updo's, or pin 'em back with nice clips etc.

Spidermom, I love that profile pic. You look adorable - and mischevious!

filiadeluna
March 31st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Anyone know of a good, tested tutorial (with photos) or a video for DIY framing layers? :confused:

Rae~
April 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Rosemary, I'm late to this thread, but thought I'd chime in anyway. :)

Although my hair is much shorter than yours, we have very similar hair types and I too am seriously considering some layers on the sides, although I will leave the back untouched. I've tried layers many times before and had varied results, but now I think I've worked out why some layers didn't work for me, so maybe it will apply to your hair too.

I found that "feathery" layers do not work with my natural hair type very well at all. The waves make it stick out in little bits all over the place, making it look messy and dry. On particularly bad hair days, this just adds to the already-present natural frizz to create crazy-woman hair, heh. I can get it to look OK by blowdrying, but a) I don't want to ruin my hair and b) I am the very definition of low maintenance (ie lazy). :o

However, I found that with blunter layers, I don't have as much of a problem with the sticky-outies, yet still gain the benefits (shape and movement) of layers. Of course, conveying that to a stylist has been troublesome at times - the last time I got my hair cut at a salon, which was two or three years ago, the hairdresser argued with me and told me "oh, you wouldn't want that - no-one wears blunt layers any more!" :rolleyes:

Anyway, just a few thoughts that might help. I'm not in a rush to get my layers but I probably will before my sister's wedding later this year, so I'm always interested to see others' styles.

Good luck with the trim and please do post back with your results. :)

Katze
April 11th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I'm late to this thread too but thought I'd add some pros and cons. :)

As someone with a "shag" cut growing out (from this: http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8149/annehair2004fv9.th.jpg) I've got past-shoulder front hair and BSL in the back and severe taper.

I have not seen a pic of your hair, but if it is thin and/or fine you might want to be careful with how much you cut into shorter layers. Other people have already posted about braids, ponytails, etc. What I don't like is that they contribute to the overall messiness of my hair.

The plus is, as you mention, the versatility, more flattering to an aging face, etc. In the pic you posted, the woman's hair is heavily styled and blowdried. I imagine if I wanted to blowdry/curl my front layers I could get a look like that if I wanted - maybe for a special event? But if you look at her roots, you can see something's been done to them (besides bleaching, lol) which probably requires heat.

So there are pluses and minuses...if you cut, just remember, you can't go back!

good luck finding what works for you,

Katze

Emme76
April 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I really care for the face framing layers. Even if I am growing out my short cut that have layers in them -trying to get rid of them - I am sure I will always have a bit of layers around my face. Just below the chin. It makes my face look softer.

I think you should go for it (If you havenīt already:)).
If you donīt like it, you can always let it grow back. But you never know if you donītry...:)!!!!

/Emme

wintersun99
April 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM

sweetkandi
April 11th, 2008, 10:03 AM
It sounds really nice, but I would deffinatley start with the front only. I made this mistake when I had long hair, I got layers, instead of it JUST framing my face. It really does only leave a thin layer of LONG hair. I ended up cutting it to BSL, then well, you see what happened. I ended up cutting it shorter, and coloring it. lol

Rosemary
April 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody...... I actually got layers cut in over a week ago. It turned out very nice. When I got home I felt that they weren't popping out of my updo's as well as I wanted them to, so I took the scissors and did some more chopping.:)

I only got the layers back to the front of my ears, (does that even make sense? It reads back strange) and the stylist blended them in with the rest of my hair. She didn't touch the back, except to trim off a tiny bit and even up my self hair trims. :) I let her *gasp* blowdry ALL of my hair, and I was even a sport about her *ugh* flat irioning my hair into submission. (I thought flat irioning the length once in five years wasn't going to kill me) It looked very nice (and looked like an actual style) when I left the salon, but it was very straight, which I didn't like so much. I washed it over the weekend and let my waves come out, and now I love it!

I have to blowfry the front, but I always have had to because of my cowlicks. It feels very healthy and even softer now. The stylist kept saying how she couldn't believe the health of my hair, being as long as it is. She wasn't very happy with a couple of things I told her though. She wanted to bring the length up, (she said that there is such a thing as too long of hair) but I told her NO, I'm growing it out to fingertip length. She gave me kind of a weird look, but I didn't care. She also thought that it was weird that I wouldn't let her put shampoo on my head, I only let her wash it with conditioner..... and I looked at the ingredients to make sure that my hair would like it. She would not believe me that conditioner CLEANS your hair, and that long hair has to be taken care of differently than short hair, but you guys know what most stylists are like. I also took my electic detangling comb with me, and I detangled my hair myself becasue she wouldn't touch my comb. She said it was loud and too weird. Whatever. She wanted to use this little tiny comb with the teeth very close together....... I don't think so! In the end, she cut my hair exactly how I told her to, and that's what counts. I don't care what some stylist thinks about my hair, I'M the one that has to live with it, NOT her.:)

I'm not too worried about everything she said about hair maintenence, or what she does or doesn't believe. After awhile of listening to her bitching about my routine, (I was kicking myself for even telling her to start with) I just kind of zoned out and shut my ears.:) I paid her to cut my hair, not criticize it or my routine. Now that it's cut, I can follow the line myself if I want to keep it trimmed. I go to a salon once every three years or so, and this whole experience reminded me why.:)

It's funny, because even though I trusted her to cut my hair (she has been my mom's stylist for years, maybe that's why she felt the need to advise/lecture me?) and be honest with me regarding how it would work with my hairtype, I don't think I will go back to her just because of the fact that I felt like she was sort of grossed out by my long hair. Whatever....... as I said I was paying her to do a SERVICE, not lecture me. Besides, I had the longest, healthiest hair out of ANYONE in that entire salon, so I must be doing something right! And every woman that walked in there complimented me on my hair, so I felt pretty good about that.

I'm still able to braid it and everything else I've always done, now the front part slides out, and I think it's very flattering. It's a nice change for spring, and I'm glad that I did it. And seeing all of the people in the salon getting there hair damaged with blowfryers, staightening irons and the like, made me glad that I have all of you guys here for support. Before I found this site, I felt like I was alone in my quest for healthy long hair, and many times I almost submitted to haircutting, blowfrying the length, curling irions and straighteners, just so I would fit in better. Now I don't feel alone. I know what I'm doing regarding is right for me, and I will never let somebody talk me into doing something drastic to my hair.

I'll try to post pictures soon, I keep forgetting to charge my camera battery. Thanks again, you guys are the best!:D

Rae~
April 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
That's sounds great, Rosemary - I'm so glad it went well and you are happy with the results. Can't wait for pics! :D

backtolonghair
April 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Aww, sound like it turned out very nice for you Rosemary. That's awesome!:) I"m also wanting to get a few layers just around my face. I have some already, but I'm waiting till I grow my hair out BSL before I add any more. I"m leaving the rest of my hair blunt, or else it will look too thin. What do you all think of this picture?

http://http://www.beautysecrets101.com/wp-content/media/_Jennifer%20Aniston.jpg

http://http://www.celebrity-hair-styles-magazine.com/images/famous-jennifer-aniston-hair-style-09.jpg
or this one... with longer hair...

Hope everyone is doing well! :)

backtolonghair
April 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.celebrity-hair-styles-magazine.com/images/famous-jennifer-aniston-hair-style-09.jpg

let me try this again... here's one of them

and here's another:

http://www.beautyriot.com/stuff/images/articles/approve/1881_1538_Aniston-Jennifer-03-400.jpg

What do you all think?

Euphony
April 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
backtolonghair I love those pictures.

Spidermom made me think of something! I played with my hair a bit to see how thick it would be. Don't mind me I'm very tempted by fringe - I do miss it, this is the first time in my life I haven't had it as well as the first time in my life I've had hair this long. I pulled hair back from my ear up, then seperated that front portion by drawing my fingernail from my ear foreward. I'm seriously thinking about getting that bottom portion trimmed. That would make a nice face framing layer with hair up, but be nearly to completely unnoticeable when hair is down. Okay enough of my rattling, I wanted to get that idea out there before I completely forgot.

I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful new 'do Rosemary!