PDA

View Full Version : Where to Begin?!

sweetlidlred
March 8th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I am new to LHC and have been inspired by you all at TBB the last couple of months. I have never really had long hair and knew little about caring for it. I was wondering if anybody who has my similar hair type can tell me your hair routine so I can have a place to jump off. I have natural red hair that is just brushing my shoulders, that I beleive is 1c, M, ii. Thanks so much!

Starr
March 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
My hair is nothing like yours but I just wanted to say hello and welcome to LHC!:waving:

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Simply pamper it, make sure you keep a good diet with plenty of fruit (especially bananas) and most of all: enjoy the trip!

Catladyintown
March 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Welcome sweetlidlred your at the right place. I am not a 1c, but keep coming back and I know their are a lot of people here who can help.:)

fae
March 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM
eadwine, why specifically bananas?

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Apparently (heard this) they have something in there that helps hair growth. Don't ask me what, someone on the Dutch board told me. It seems to be working though, hair HAS been growing faster since I included them in my routine.

fae
March 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
What a yummy way to help hair grow.

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah.. I figured if it won't help it won't hurt. They're very yummy indeed! :)

Stagecoach
March 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well, we seem to be hair twins! So I'll share my current routine.

1b/1c - M - ii
48" (just past classic)

Twice a week I shampoo my scalp with MillCreek Bonticals (it's a natural shampoo),
Rinse with ACV (2 T. to 3 c. water)
Condition with Suave Tropical Coconut Condish and Dove Intense Moisture Treatment.

While my hair is wet I apply some Coconut Oil for extra moisture.

I only comb my hair. For detangling I have a large Goody detangling comb with widely spaced, flexible teeth. For scalp stimulation I have a fine toothed horn comb.

Occasionally I'll do a deep treatment by applying enough coconut oil to make my hair very greasy and leaving over night. Or I'll apply mollassas for an hour or so.

Kirin
March 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I'm a 1b, not quite your type, but I'll give you my few fledgeling walnuts of wisdom :D

The most important thing is to really start reading the ingredients of what your using. Minimal is better! The more unpronounceable ingredients on a bottle, the more likely its not too good for your hair in the long run.

Find products, shampoos, conditioners, and treatments that not only you can afford regularly, but you will actually use and like. Its very hard to stick to a good care regeime if you dont like the smell of something, hate the feel of your hair, or are spending extrordinary amounts of money.

Give things a good try (suggestions from the sight) but dont feel like a failure if it doesnt work for you. Don't *ever* feel obligated that there is only "one right way" to care for your hair. Everyone's is different, what might work for me, might be a horror for you!

There are no "have to's", and you wont offend anyone if something doesnt work out for your hair. Though there are many debates on whats good and bad for your hair on this site, there are no "wars"..... you wont be put out to pasture or blacklisted because you dont ascribe to the popular regeime.

This is a wonderful and diverse group of people, who all ascribe to something different, find what works for you as the goal here is beautiful, long healthy hair that makes its owner proud and happy. Have a question? Post it, and you are sure to get answers and tips you are looking for!

Start simple, and go from there, and happy growing!

aisling
March 9th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Whatever your hairtype is, my first advice would be "be careful!". Treat your hair nice, don't rip through tangles with a brush, don't be rough and check the clips, elastics etc you use, do they feel like they're snagging your hair? Do you blowdry and/or flat iron your hair regularely and use hot temperatures? You might like to rethink that. Reducing mechanical damage helps a lot already in improving your hair quality.

Flying Betty
March 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
What Aisling said. Start with just trying hard not to damage your hair, and then you can play with products and routines as much as you want (or don't want to, even). Try out the things that people have recommended but don't freak out of your hair likes different things even with the same hairtype as someone else.

Blueneko
March 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Welcome to the boards!

We have similar hair, but I am awful for updo advice, I am afraid. My hair is too thick to twist into anything useful at this length. :(

If you want to hear about molasses, however, I am your girl!

sweetlidlred
March 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied, I will start eating more bananas. I have stopped flat ironing and blow drying, I have gone 6 weeks without and I can really tell a difference in the softness of my hair. Everyone on this site seems so kind I really appreciate the hair growing support.:o

RavennaNight
October 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
:brains: ..........

halo_tightens
October 2nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Ohhh this is too much when I'm at work!

RavennaNight
October 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
It's ALIVE!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

emeraldfaery
October 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
I have your hair type, but as I don't have a routine that works 100% of the time I don't think I qualify to give advice. Like the blind leading the blind. lol. I noticed your avatar and have to say I LOVE Anne of Green Gables. My favorite movie series by far! Welcome to the boards. This is a great place.

RavennaNight
October 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: emeraldfaery did you see how old the thread is?:lol: