PDA

View Full Version : My first gray.

RancheroTheBee
February 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I was in the bath today, and as I was reaching for a cup of pop on the side of the bathtub, a hair from my head clung to my wrist and landed on the tub next to my cup. I picked it up, fascinated, because it was so long. Is that mine? I determined since it was (relatively) long and red, it was likely mine. And the end of it was white. I figured that this must have been the split hair I saw earlier that day, that I didn't have the energy to snip off.

Then I looked at it closer, and realized that was the root. But it wasn't that fleshy little bit from your scalp that comes out when you pull out your hair, this was just 1/4 of roots. And it was bright, silvery white. Not blonde; gray.

So, I found my first gray, and it's not even on my head any more. What a waste!

When did you find your first gray? How did you feel about it? I'm personally a little disappointed I haven't found any others.

Shermie Girl
February 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I was about 22. I found six or eight of them blended in with my at the time blonde hair. I thought, "Cool. Greys." I wasn't at all surprised, early grey hair is in my genetic makeup. Now, I suppose I am almost 50% grey. (Lagging a little... Letting the family down.) :D

Heavenly Locks
February 26th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I'm 28 and haven't seen one. I don't know if I will for a long time. My mother and grandmother didn't have more than 1/8 of their hair gray. My mother is still with us and she isn't gaining any gray and my grandmother passed away almost 20 years ago and never had very much.

I'm actually rather saddened by that. I would love to have rich silver hair one day!

Unicorn
February 27th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I found my first one at a work do when I was about 38. I always have my hair tied back for work and we had gone on to a boat trip for our summer do. When we got to the boat I took my hair down and during my habitual 'finger combing' a long hair got wound on my fingers when I look at it it was a full length grey hair! Full length at the time being about 10".

Unicorn

RancheroTheBee
February 27th, 2009, 12:53 AM
38?! Woah. I feel like such a keener. :D

Heidi_234
February 27th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Don't be so sure, all the roots of my shed hairs look pale and bright for some reason. Maybe we are talking about different things though. :shrug:

RancheroTheBee
February 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Don't be so sure, all the roots of my shed hairs look pale and bright for some reason. Maybe we are talking about different things though. :shrug:

No, this one looked... not like the others. There was no gold tone to it.

Loviatar
February 27th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Congratulations on your first silver!

I am nearly 30 and havent seen a single one yet :(

GlebeGirl
February 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I think I was 27 or 28. I was devastated to find the first one because in my family we don't go grey early at all. My mum is in her mid-sixties and still has more dark brown hair than white! She'd never color anyhow, but it's amazing how much of her hair is still dark.

Once I got over that first one, though, I wasn't bothered at all and have been pleased to find that my whites are all coming in in one patch at the front of my hairline. Very slowly, mind you, so it's not like I have a noticeable streak but I'm hoping that in a decade or so I will have a streak. Depending on how I part my hair I can completely hide them or show them off.

My older sister absolutely hates the thought of having any visible greys and dyes her hair to hide them. I'm too lazy for that kind of upkeep, as it turns out. :D

Naava
February 27th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Eeek! I'm going to be 29 this year and it hasn't even crossed my mind that I could find a grey hair! Luckily I dye my hair and my natural hair color is blond, so they would probably blend in pretty much anyway :)

Akiko
February 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I found my first gray at the age of 40. I know it's kind of late. But so was my mother...

When I found my first silver, I gasped. It is a natural process. I would not be surprised if other 40-year old ladies have silvers. But it shocked me to find a silver strand on MY HEAD. Now I am looking forward to have more silvers on my head.

AJoifulNoise
February 27th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Congrats on finding your first gray. I'm sure it's not alone. I found my first one last year at 22.

Copasetic
February 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I found my first one when I was about 21. I pretty much had a panic attack when I saw and plucked it out. Now I check every once in a while to see if there are any more I need to pull out.

joyfulmom4
February 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
So, I found my first gray, and it's not even on my head any more. What a waste!

When did you find your first gray? How did you feel about it? I'm personally a little disappointed I haven't found any others.

I found my first grey hair in my early twenties. I don't remember the exact year. I just noticed it while styling my hair. Over the years, there were a few more here and there. But my hair has taken a long time to change over. I'm still almost entirely brown. I have a smattering of grey at each temple and an occasional grey in the rest. My brother otoh, is almost completely silver. It's weird b/c he is only 18 mos older and our hair is totally different. I've never applied any color to my hair. I never really worried about the greys, they don't bother me. Of course, it's easy to say that when you go grey slowly. If I had had hair like my brother, I might be coloring now. Maybe not. I can't really say. I definitely want to let mine change over naturally now.

Hay22
February 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I found my first (and second, third, etc) gray when I was 17. My mom found it to be quite funny - she told me I was the only teenager to give themselves gray hair instead of their parents. They grew in a concentrated area on my head, so there would have been a streak if I had let them grow. I plucked them each time they returned, and eventually I stopped getting any. They were perfect, thick silver strands - it was a preview of what my hair will look like eventually, I just wasn't ready for that yet!

Alaskanheart
February 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I just found my first completly white, at least 20 inch long hair, last week. I didnt notice it on my head but when it shed in my brush. I tripped out for a second, and showed it to my friend and asked for her opinion (is it or is it not). She confirmed. There may be more in there and I just havent noticed because of the light color of my natural hair. Im kinda happy I found one finally, My husband started getting grays a few years ago, and he makes me pull them out one by one. lol.

enfys
February 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I can see one massive flaw in pulling out greys....

I haven't found any yet, but I really hope I do what my dad did and go shocking white, not grey grey, but with a streak like my mum.

In a while.

joyfulmom4
February 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I can see one massive flaw in pulling out greys....

Uh huh. You end up pulling healthy hairs and if you pull enough of them, you'll have thin spots. Combine that with the fact that I am greying most at the temples, which is a common area for people to have thinner hair to begin with, and I could not imagine plucking my greys. I'd end up with bald temples!!!

RancheroTheBee
February 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Oh, no plucking for this gal. I'm super excited, since this means that instead of going salt-and-pepper like my mom's side, I might go completely silver-white like my dad. At the time of my grandmother's death (mother's mother) only about 30% of her hair was gray. She was 84. Then again, it was also down to her knees, and super-thick.