PDA

View Full Version : Wriggly Hair

tiny_teesha
March 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Now i'm not meaning those hairs when you break or stretch them how they curl up. I'm talking every if not most of the hairs on my head are wriggly....

They are a weak zig zag, the thickness in the hair is thick then thin all the way along, but if i twirl it the parts that are thick and now thin and vise versa.

Why does my hair do this? It gives my hair and unsmooth feeling and makes it always look unsleek. I don't think it is from damage as i remember that was the reason why i dyed my hair (my sister said it would make hair sleek- she was wrong haha)

So, is this due to just how the hair is made, or from diet changes?

Does this happen to anyone else? It's always annoyed me.

spidermom
March 30th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I have individual hairs like that - thick, then thin, and ripply feeling when I run my fingers along them. I think it's probably normal variation because I sometimes shed out short hairs of only 2-4 inches long. Those hairs weren't on my head long enough to sustain any damage but some of them are thick/thin/ripply feeling.

Sunshine69
March 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
curly hair is sort of flattened, instead of round in cross-section like straight hair is. The bumps that you feel are just where the flat part shifts. that's what makes wavy and curly hair curl.
It's like when you use scissors on wribbon to make it curl.

Nynaeve
March 30th, 2008, 10:53 PM
curly hair is sort of flattened, instead of round in cross-section like straight hair is. The bumps that you feel are just where the flat part shifts. that's what makes wavy and curly hair curl.
It's like when you use scissors on wribbon to make it curl.

Aye.

My hair does this too. I also have sections that are honestly thicker or thinner, not just when twisted. I attribute that to different diet changes over the several years my current hair represents.

My hair can't make up its mind though, some of it is curly, some of it is wavy, and some of it is crimped (yes, like the zigzag from a crimping iron from the 80s.)

Delilah
March 31st, 2008, 12:31 AM
I chalk it up to nutrition, health, and seasonal and hormonal changes.
Your head is a hair factory, but with the huge adjustments the body has to cope with daily it's no wonder that the product of that factory is a little inconsistent.
Do you find banding, spotting, or changes of any kind in your nails too? I find at times my nails look the worst is when I lose more hair. It makes sense to me since they are both keratin based, and is usually a sign I need to sleep more, eat fresh foods and hit the gym.

tiny_teesha
March 31st, 2008, 03:19 AM
Hmm, yes but i have 2b hair at it's curliest, and the wriggles are far too close. I think it may be diet/stress related. As my whole life pretty much i've been trying to control what i eat and depriving myself of water, food, etc.

But i was hopeing that was not it, because it is never going to grow out becaue i still do it!

Bonny
March 31st, 2008, 05:21 PM
A lot of my hairs are like this, especially the grey ones. That's why my hair will never look sleek unless I use the straightening iron. When I let my hair air dry I see a lot of those hairs just sproinging up from my head. They calm down after I've slept on them. :)

ETA: I haven't found any correlation between stress, diet, etc. and how many of these hairs I have. I've always had a lot of them.

tiny_teesha
March 31st, 2008, 05:44 PM
But my hair is at least 90% wriggly....its not fair... :( Ah well. I guess i got to accept what i got delt!

comicalcupcake
March 31st, 2008, 07:45 PM
I have those too, mostly on top of my head. They don't seem to correlate with direct damage. I still don't eat ideally, but I have been eating much better than I ever used to, as far as getting a variety of fresh foods with intact nutrition, so I wouldn't think that would be part of it. The hairs on top of my head are straight-ish except for those ones. Or they might even lie straight, but in a bit of a zigzag way, like \_/--\__/--\___/---\__/---\___/\___/---\/---\__/---\__/--\__/--\_/

tiny_teesha
April 3rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Not sure if i get your illustration....lol But i think i have an idea! lol
My hair isn't neccessarily wriggly too much, it is just the hair itself isn't a perfect tube, it's irregular

ALEXIAA
May 7th, 2016, 12:38 AM
Hello tiny, I have exactly the same thing, your problem was it arranged? Thank you for your reply

Horrorpops
May 7th, 2016, 07:18 AM
I know the type of hair your talking about, I get random hairs like that but they aren't the majority of my hair. They don't make a big difference to me and so I don't really worry about it :)

Have you been to your doctor recently? If it's most of the hairs on your head and they're different to how they used to be maybe it'd be worth mentioning that to your doctor next time you go see them for something? Just to ask them about it, especially if you're worried about diet and deficiencies. And especially before adding in vitamin supplementation. :o

Arctic
May 7th, 2016, 07:24 AM
My doctors, even derms, have never been interested about my wiry hairs. I have even shown them a samples, taped on paper, but they glance at them and ask if they can throw them away :laugh:

Horrorpops
May 7th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Hahahahaha Arctic!! Thats pretty harsh of them to do. :laugh: and I mean, that's pretty dedicated to prepare samples! I think it's normal to have some wirey hairs, I'd have expected they'd have some idea about overall hair texture changes though?

Arctic
May 7th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Having seen the subject of wiry (or some other numerous names) hairs brought up at LHC during my almost 9 years here over and over and over, I also think they are pretty common and not something to worry. Sometimes things like thyroid can affect hair textures, but I think most of the time having wiry hairs is nothing strange. I would have thought doctors would have been more interested in hair type change (having been through one myself) but my experience have been the opposite. They comment that my hair seems healthy and in great condition and change the subject.

Horrorpops
May 7th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Having seen the subject of wiry (or some other numerous names) hairs brought up at LHC during my almost 9 years here over and over and over, I also think they are pretty common and not something to worry. Sometimes things like thyroid can affect hair textures, but I think most of the time having wiry hairs is nothing strange. I would have thought doctors would have been more interested in hair type change (having been through one myself) but my experience have been the opposite. They comment that my hair seems healthy and in great condition and change the subject.

Well there you go. I suppose a texture change in the absence of any other problem may not interest them. :p Doctors are interested in the darnedest things! :) (kidding, love any docs out there xx)

OP if you're really worried about it, or you have other health issues you haven't mentioned feel free to discuss with your doctor. However if you just have some funky textured hairs and nothing else going on I agree with most of the previous posters who have all said it's normal :o

ALEXIAA
May 8th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I don t think it s normal. i haven t got this hair before. They appear suddenly. My normal hair changer also: Root tip. Strange...

Hairkay
May 8th, 2016, 01:02 PM
I've been curious about this thread's tittle. I was thinking of hair squirming like worms, Medusa like.

For tightly curlies this is normal. Straight hair is round or almost round. Curls have oval/flat sections and round sections. Where the flat changes to round the hair bends making it wave or curl. That's how the curls are formed. It's nothing to do with diet.