PDA

View Full Version : Europeans--fish oil?

Darkhorse1
February 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I wanted to ask those in Europe--I have a friend in Finland who has hair almost to her knees. Anyhow, she says she takes fish oil---are these capsules or is it applied to the hair? She was finding it hard to explain in english, so I figured I'd ask you all here.

I know Omega 3 fatty acids are good for you, so I'm assuming that's what it is.

So, my next question is, where do you find this? :D

Naava
February 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I believe she is talking about fish oil capsules :) At least I hope she doesn't put that in her hair, it doesn't excatly have the most pleasant scent :D It contains a lot of A-, D- and E-vitamins as well as omega 3. More information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_liver_oil

It can be bought from the same places that sell other vitamin supplement types of thingies.

neon-dream
February 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I also take cod liver oil, its a capsule :)

Naava
February 26th, 2009, 12:49 PM
OT, when I was little, this older girl gave me a capsule and claimed it was candy. I ran home crying :D

sibylla
February 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I take omega3-oil capsules everyday made out of fishoil.They sell it in all grocery stores here and in health stores. I´m not sure how it affects my hair but it´s great for my skin and wellbeing.

Tabitha
February 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I take Holland & Barrett (UK health food chain) EPA Fish Oil Concentrate capsules. Not so much for my hair or skin but for mental health reasons, since I react badly to antidepressants. I was recommended them by a friend (thank you Tessa).

They can give you evil fishy burps (sorry TMI! :tmi:) this does lessen after a few days as your system gets used to them, but comes back if you forget, and skip a day. You're meant to have them with food, which also helps.

Belisama
February 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I actually just read a really informative article about Omega-3 and fish oil the other day. It is rather long, but very information intense. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29104695

It basically states that our Western Society diet is making us dumber and more unhealthy and prone to diseases as we have increased out omega-6 intake with seed-based oils and reduced our omega-3 intake from sea-life.

Any grocery store or Target or Walmart has Fish Oil pills of some type. Actually the ones I buy are formulated to prevent those lovely "fish-tasting" burps.

Darkhorse1
February 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hmm. Not sure if those would work for me as I tend to get upset stomach from fish. I'll talk to my doctor and ask her what she might reccomend. Fish and I have a love/hate relationship ;)

patience
February 26th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I take organic flax seed oil for omega-3s. I use the oil (not pills)and you can find it in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. My store carries it next to the tofu/vegan cheeses etc.

no fishy burps :)

Melisande
February 26th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I take Norwegian fish oil for the omega 3. It's a capsule and although I'm a vegetarian, I decided to take it for health reasons. It's good for my skin and hair.

aisling
February 27th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I believe she is talking about fish oil capsules :) At least I hope she doesn't put that in her hair, it doesn't excatly have the most pleasant scent :D It contains a lot of A-, D- and E-vitamins as well as omega 3. More information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_liver_oil

It can be bought from the same places that sell other vitamin supplement types of thingies.

Cod liver oil isn't the same as fish oil! The fish liver oil is made from the liver while the fish oil is made from the whole fish.

Cod liver oil is made by cooking cod livers with steam, and then pressing/decanting the cooked livers to extract the oil. This is in contrast to fish oils, which are extracted from the cooked whole body tissues of fatty fish during the manufacture of fish meal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_liver_oil

Here you can find both, generally as capsules but you can also find traditional cod liver oil in a bottle (blergh!).

Stevy
February 27th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I tried them, but my system did not like them and after a week I couldn't open the bottle without gagging, so I gave up.

Naava
February 27th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Cod liver oil isn't the same as fish oil! The fish liver oil is made from the liver while the fish oil is made from the whole fish.
I know it isn't excatly the same stuff, but I believe cod liver oil was what the finnish girl was talking about (especially since I understood her english wasn't perfect), as it is a common supplement used in here. I apologise for not using the terms correctly ;)

scalawaggirl
February 27th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I take cod liver oil in the winter (as vitamin D tends to be lower from lack of sun) and fish oil in the warmer months. It absolutely makes a difference with how shiny and healthy my hair is - also skin, too.

I've taken the Carlson's brand for years. Good stuff w/lemon flavor so it's easier on the taste buds though, occasionally, I do get some reflux.

Kristine
February 27th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I take cod liver oil in the winter (as vitamin D tends to be lower from lack of sun) and fish oil in the warmer months.
In Norway it is said that you should take cod liver oil every month that has a "r" in it. In fact, from the 1930s until the 1960s kids used to get a spoon of cod liver oil every day in school those months.

I have a box of Omega 3-capsules in my kitchen, but I usually forget to take them. I guess I should put them somewhere I can see them better.

scalawaggirl
February 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM
In Norway it is said that you should take cod liver oil every month that has a "r" in it. In fact, from the 1930s until the 1960s kids used to get a spoon of cod liver oil every day in school those months.

That's a good way to remember when to take the cod liver oil! I recall here in the US that if you were sick as kid, you'd get castor oil but cod liver oil is a much better option, IMO. Thanks for the tip. :)

lora410
February 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I take fish oil capsules, but I believe it also comes in liquid form; I however have not added it to my head.

Loviatar
February 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I have been wanting to take a 3-6-9 supplement, but had wondered if there was a vegetarian version. I had heard Flaxseed was pretty close. Am I right or mistaken? Thanks. The thought of fish-burps is not a pleasant one and I cannot stand fishy scents. I used to have a bottle of CLO in the house and it made me gag when my mom took her daily capsule.

lora410
February 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I have been wanting to take a 3-6-9 supplement, but had wondered if there was a vegetarian version. I had heard Flaxseed was pretty close. Am I right or mistaken? Thanks. The thought of fish-burps is not a pleasant one and I cannot stand fishy scents. I used to have a bottle of CLO in the house and it made me gag when my mom took her daily capsule.

They have ones that do not smell like fish and say right on the bottle "no fish burps" :) thats the one I take

Hay22
February 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Just a tip - I've been taking fish oil for a few months now and have discovered that taking it right before eating a full meal drastically reduces the risk of "fish oil burpies."

My boss told me yesterday that she takes the liquid version with lemon flavoring. She said it's not too bad if you keep it refrigerated, as the cold cuts the taste down.

LaurelSpring
February 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM

My boyfriend is Norwegian. He said that he did have to take it every day in school.

manderly
February 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I give them to my dogs :D One of them thinks they are candy and can't get enough.

I've heard somewhere that if you freeze them they don't give you the fish burps. To me though, they taste kind of like salmon (I've bit them open trying to get my other dog to treat them like candy to no avail). Like if you sauteed a piece of salmon in some olive oil, then liked the oil off the pan or something. Not a bad flavor, not a great one either.

aisling
February 28th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I know it isn't excatly the same stuff, but I believe cod liver oil was what the finnish girl was talking about (especially since I understood her english wasn't perfect), as it is a common supplement used in here. I apologise for not using the terms correctly ;)

As I'm living in Finland as well I do know what I'm talking about. Just go to CityMarket and check out the supplements section, there's more fish oil capsules for sale than cod liver products, trust me (kalaöljy versus kalanmaksaöljy). Fish oil is really what most people seem to eat when asking around and reading some Finnish discussion boards. So, I'm still saying it was fish oil, because that is in my experience the more common product here.

Flax seed oil is a very good vegetarian alternative and gives you a bit different burps ;) Really, I don't think the fish oil burps are bad, I had more of them in the beginning but it seems my body has gotten used to them and I rarely have fish burps anymore. I also think it helps that I take the capsules before breakfast, breakfast seems to neutralise them as well.

Naava
February 28th, 2009, 06:02 AM
As I'm living in Finland as well I do know what I'm talking about. Just go to CityMarket and check out the supplements section, there's more fish oil capsules for sale than cod liver products, trust me (kalaöljy versus kalanmaksaöljy). Fish oil is really what most people seem to eat when asking around and reading some Finnish discussion boards. So, I'm still saying it was fish oil, because that is in my experience the more common product here.

Oooo, aggressive... Did I say I didn't trust you? I think I already apologized about using wrong terms, what else do you want?

This is excatly something I don't like about finnish discussion boards. People can't talk about anything in an friendly manner and have a crazy need to argue about the sillyest things. So sad to see the same thing in here (thank goodness this was the first time). Sucks to have my perfectly nice Saturday mood ruined by something like this.

:cheese:

metal_sugar
February 28th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I take cod liver oil religiously. My skin is so much better. Same with my hair, joints, everything. Also, did you guys know that the brain consists of 60% fat, and that 30% of that fat is made out of Omega 3 fatty acids?

Makes you want to take your cod liver oil, doesn't it? :)