PDA

View Full Version : Low down on Sulfates

Darkhorse1
February 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Recently bought Allure magazine, March issue (Julia Roberts on the cover) and it has a section on sulfates:

"Sulfates, common detergents in many cleansers, first got a bad rap when a study found that prolonged expousre to high concentrations could cause skin irritation. Now, many companies assert that sulfates also do a number on hair, stripping it of moisture and causing color to fade more quickly. That's why new shampoos from L'Oreal Paris Ever Pure, Fekkai Au Naturel, Sexy Hair Organics and Jonathan Product Green Routine contain no sulfates in an effort to clean hair gently.

But experts say that sulfate-free shampoos aren't necessarily easy on hair. "All cleansing agents strip hair of oils, whether they are sulfates or milder detergents in these products." says cosmetic chemist N Wilson. "But these do have ingredients such as olive oil and silicones that condition the hair and help temper the drying effect'.

Bottom line: Sulfates aren't bad for skin or hair, but a few new shampoos have replaced them with mild cleansers. We tried them and found they created a pleasent, creamy lather, leaving our damaged hair feeling soft.

Looks like a trade off between sulfates and silicones. Figured you'd appreciate this blurb. :)

Aisha25
February 26th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah when I saw the ingredient list I could not believe how many cones are in the shampoo alone. But yet it is pure and natural:lol:

Katze
February 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I would rather have sulfates but no 'cones, thankyouverymuch. 'Cones make my scalp crusty, while occasional sulfate washes help my scalp get clean and prevent my hair from feeling dull and icky. 'Cones do make my hair smoother, but so does oiling and leave-in.

It is amazing how much misinformation as well as incomplete information there is out there!

Darkhorse1
February 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I figured you'd all like to know about the sulfate low down since it has been a big topic here. Again, sulfates and cones work for some, not for others. Information is the best tool to making the best decisions :)

I find sulfates work fine for me. I used a non-sulfate shampoo and found it made my hair so overly dry, it was horrific. AND, it didn't clean my scalp. It felt as if I'd washed my hair with sand.

ktani
February 26th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I am fine with sulfates as well but not all sulfates. I have bought non sulfate shampoos and tested them on my hands first. A number of them were quite drying and irritated my skin. They did not go anywhere near my scalp.

enfys
February 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I am fine with sulfates as well but not all sulfates. I have bought non sulfate shampoos and tested them on my hands first. A number of them were quite drying and irritated my skin. They did not go anywhere near my scalp.

Good idea!

It's nice to see a magazine at least thinking about what goes into shampoo though. So few ever think further than the look. At the end of your blowfry. :rolleyes: Well it's a start at least.

OhioLisa
February 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Recently bought Allure magazine, March issue (Julia Roberts on the cover) and it has a section on sulfates:

"Sulfates, common detergents in many cleansers, first got a bad rap when a study found that prolonged expousre to high concentrations could cause skin irritation. Now, many companies assert that sulfates also do a number on hair, stripping it of moisture and causing color to fade more quickly. That's why new shampoos from L'Oreal Paris Ever Pure, Fekkai Au Naturel, Sexy Hair Organics and Jonathan Product Green Routine contain no sulfates in an effort to clean hair gently.

But experts say that sulfate-free shampoos aren't necessarily easy on hair. "All cleansing agents strip hair of oils, whether they are sulfates or milder detergents in these products." says cosmetic chemist N Wilson. "But these do have ingredients such as olive oil and silicones that condition the hair and help temper the drying effect'.

My hair has never felt well conditioned by cones. Furthermore, they did nothing to temper the drying effect. If anything, they helped to exacerbate it.

Bottom line: Sulfates aren't bad for skin or hair, but a few new shampoos have replaced them with mild cleansers. We tried them and found they created a pleasent, creamy lather, leaving our damaged hair feeling soft.

Sulfates aren't bad? I suppose the itchy, burning, irritated sensation I get from sulfates is all in my head then. Interesting.

Looks like a trade off between sulfates and silicones. Figured you'd appreciate this blurb. :)

Bottom line for me? Don't use anything with either sulfates or cones and avoid issues either way. :D

ktani
February 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Magazines depending on their advertisers, will avoid certain kinds of articles. Bad for business, otherwise.

Copasetic
February 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Sulfates are bad for SOME people. There is no one single magical ingredient that is good for everyone or bad for everyone. Some people have a lot of success with sulfates, some don't. For me personally, they are fine on my scalp, and awful for my super-sensitive skin, so I stopped using them.

ktani
February 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM
My hair has never felt well conditioned by cones. Furthermore, they did nothing to temper the drying effect. If anything, they helped to exacerbate it.

Sulfates aren't bad? I suppose the itchy, burning, irritated sensation I get from sulfates is all in my head then. Interesting.

Bottom line for me? Don't use anything with either sulfates or cones and avoid issues either way. :D

I use a sulfate shampoo with 1 cone. I have no scalp issues with it unless I overuse it and then my scalp just feels dry. I have a very sensitive scalp. From my experience, it is about the formulation of the entire product, not just the sulfates or cones.

From your experience, sulfates and cones do not work for you at all.

Both cases are valid, in that your experience is your experience.

Avoiding sulfates and cones works for you and that is what you need to do. My sensitivities, lucky me, not, involve chemiclas that are not restricted to those categories.

Fencai
February 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
interesting. but like what's been said so far, good for some, not good for others.
personally, I'll stick with my soapnuts :)

Darkhorse1
February 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM
What the article is saying is that sulfates aren't bad for skin and hair, but if you have an obvious allergy, I don't think using it will work.

The article's purpose was to say this myth that sulfate shampoos will destroy your hair is just that, a myth. ANY detergant will strip away oils. The key is finding something that works for your hair, and being informed is one step towards this.

Allure has always covered news in regards to hair and updates with products. They have a REALLY sad article about women in India who shave their heads to offer up their gorgeous long locks to their temple/God, and this temple sells the hair to extension companies for millions. :( The money DOES go into the temple, but there are pesants who didn't know. They are beautiful people who said 'if this is god's will, then I am happy'. They donate their hair for good fortune in life (one woman did so to thank god for saving her cow from illness).

It's a beautiful article, but also sad at how they are taking their offerings and profiting off of it.

I highly reccomend Allure magazine. It's one of the best ones in regards to product testing and I've learned a lot about skin safety/updates on sunblocks when working.

~GypsyCurls~
February 26th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I recently read that article, thanks for posting this! I think I sighed with relief since I use sulfates but not too many. I do well with sulfate-free shampoos (or thin conditioners) to wash but my hair seems to 'need' cones.

Roseate
February 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
What the article is saying is that sulfates aren't bad for skin and hair, but if you have an obvious allergy, I don't think using it will work.

The article's purpose was to say this myth that sulfate shampoos will destroy your hair is just that, a myth. ANY detergant will strip away oils.

True, I've found even non-sulfate commercial shampoos can be drying at full concentration. Diluting seems to take care of that issue for me, as long as there's no SLS, which drives my scalp insane at any concentration.

My mom's glossy hair, healthy scalp and enduring love of Pert Plus prove sulfates work just fine for some!

And stripping some oil is necessary, for most people- otherwise WO would work for everyone and there would be no such thing as shampoo.

Darkhorse1
February 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I saw a tv show ages ago about why we have to use soap to clean away dirt/oils. As we know, oil and water don't mix. So, water just runs off of body oils. The soap creates a bond that the oil/dirt sticks to, thus allowing it to be washed away by water. I'm figuring it's the same with shampoos.

Over time, I'm sure companies have figured out how to add scents, oils and other products to make all skin types benefit. :)

I figured it would be interesting for people to read this article/mini blurb and use it to better inform yourselves of sulfates :)

baobhan sith
February 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Shampoo Can Make Or Break Your Hair

Everyone uses hair shampoo on anywhere from a weekly to a daily basis. Complaints from shampoo are among the most frequent made to the FDA, Health Canada and to manufacturers. People often complain about various brands of shampoo that have caused different conditions such as scalp irritation, drying of the scalp, itchiness, hair loss, severe hair damage and eye irritation. The vast majority of commercially available shampoo are loaded with chemicals that are hazardous to your scalp and body. Have you ever wondered why we have a higher percentage of brain tumours among the North American population than elsewhere in the world? Scientific studies have proven that the SLS = Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and Sodium Laureth Sulphate found in most shampoos damages protein formation in the eyes. After damage has been done, SLS even retards the healing process. Kenneth Gree, Ph.D., D.Sc., of the Medical College of Georgia warns that eyes affected by SLS take five times as long to heal. SLS can lead to cataract formation and eventually to blindness. Not only from direct eye contact, but through skin absorption over the long-term. Many varieties of shampoo are designed to treat dandruff and flaky scalp conditions, but these mostly contain coal tar. You won't find it on the label, however. It is listed as FD&C or D& C colour. Our youngest son worked at one time as a professional hair stylist and when dying the hair of customers he had to use long rubber gloves to protect his skin from the harsh and hazardous chemicals.

http://stason.org/articles/wellbeing/health/Hidden-Dangers-Lurking-in-your-Products.html

58. Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS): another chemical that you will find in as many cosmetics and personal care products as propylene glycol. The key ingredient to this foaming facial washer is a detergent that started as an industrial degreaseant and garage floor cleaner. When applied to the human skin it has the effect of stripping off the oil layer and is irritating and eroding the skin, leaving it rough and pitted. Is used as a lathering agent, corrodes hair follicle and impedes hair growth., penetrates your eyes, brain, liver and remains there for a long time. Degenerates cell membranes and can change the genetic information (mutagenic) in cells and damage the immune system. May cause blindness and lead to cataracts., retards the healing process. Enhances the allergic response to other toxins and allergens and can react with other toxic ingredients to form cancer-causing nitrosamines. The U.S. government has warned manufacturers of unacceptable levels of dioxin formation in some products containing this ingredient.

58. Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS): another chemical that you will find in as many cosmetics and personal care products as propylene glycol. The key ingredient to this foaming facial washer is a detergent that started as an industrial degreaseant and garage floor cleaner. When applied to the human skin it has the effect of stripping off the oil layer and is irritating and eroding the skin, leaving it rough and pitted. Is used as a lathering agent, corrodes hair follicle and impedes hair growth., penetrates your eyes, brain, liver and remains there for a long time. Degenerates cell membranes and can change the genetic information (mutagenic) in cells and damage the immune system. May cause blindness and lead to cataracts., retards the healing process. Enhances the allergic response to other toxins and allergens and can react with other toxic ingredients to form cancer-causing nitrosamines. The U.S. government has warned manufacturers of unacceptable levels of dioxin formation in some products containing this ingredient.

59. Sodium laureth sulphate (SLES): chemical name sodium lauryl "ether" sulphate. An ether chain is added to SLS, used as premium agent in cleansers, conditioners and shampoo. It is very inexpensive, but thickens when salt is added in the formula and produces high level of foam. Also used as wetting agent in the textile industry. Irritates skin and scalp and creates itching, may cause hair loss.

5. Ammonium laureth sulphate: found in hair and bubble bath products. Laureth contains ether that is listed as carcinogenic, mutagenic, toxic and causes adverse reactions.

http://stason.org/articles/wellbeing/health/Glossary-Of-Chemicals-Synthetics-To-Avoid-In-Personal-Care-Products.html

(though of course we don't believe him as he thinks everyone has to wash their hair at least once a week ;))

ktani
February 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
http://stason.org/articles/wellbeing/health/Hidden-Dangers-Lurking-in-your-Products.html

(though of course we don't believe him as he thinks everyone has to wash their hair at least once a week ;))

The Georgia study has been debunked for quite a while now, by the author of the study.
http://www.paulaschoice-eu.com/shop/default.asp?s=7015DAED119F47E58C0A09CFA5E668E7&art=1207

ktani
February 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM
"sodium laureth sulfate (http://www.cosmeticscop.com/dictionary_term.aspx?tid=1980&lid=532&term=sodium+laureth+sulfate). Can be derived from coconut .... is used primarily as a detergent cleansing agent. .... is considered gentle and effective."
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/ingredient_dictionary.aspx?lid=532

Kirin
February 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I've seem to just know for eons that the sulphate uproar was a bunch of bunk. Saying this, I do know of people allergic to it, but I also know people allergic to soap too.

In this day and age, no matter how good the source, I really dont buy into much anymore. Especially when most of the anti-sulphate propeganda was coming from (and primarily) individuals connected to "natural" products that were being sold.

ratgirldjh
February 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
well i don't think i do well with sulfates or sulfites either

if i drink red wine i get a head ache - and red wines have naturally occuring sulfites

also i can't take molasses (too bad) because it makes me sick - and i found out recently that it has naturally occurring sulfates

also i no longer use shampoos or conditioners with sulfates - usually anyway

Darkhorse1
February 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM
That one study was about getting sulfates in your eyes. I don't think we're going to use shampoo on our eyes ;)

Bottom line? There are many studies out there. Information in regards to shampoo is one of your best defences in finding the right product for you. I would venture to get the levels of SLS in shampoos are so low, that even using shampoo your entire life it won't mount up to the concentrations they use in studies.

ktani
February 27th, 2009, 04:42 AM
That one study was about getting sulfates in your eyes. I don't think we're going to use shampoo on our eyes ;)

Bottom line? There are many studies out there. Information in regards to shampoo is one of your best defences in finding the right product for you. I would venture to get the levels of SLS in shampoos are so low, that even using shampoo your entire life it won't mount up to the concentrations they use in studies.

This is the correct information from the study author. I have gotten my sles shampoo in my eyes. No irritation either and I do not have cataracts.

".... no part of my study that indicated any [eye] development or cataract problems from SLS or SLES and the body does not retain those ingredients at all. We did not even look at the issue of children, so that conclusion is completely false because it never existed. .... Neways people took my research completely out of context and probably never read the study at all." .... "The statement like ‘SLS is a systemic' has no meaning. No ingredient can be a systemic unless you drink the stuff and that's not what we did with it. Another incredible comment was that my study was ‘clinical,' meaning I tested the substance on people ... these were strictly animal tests. .... the eyes showed no irritation with the 10-dilution substance used! .... the animal studies indicated no risk of irritation whatsoever!" That lack of outcome is in fact why, as of 1987, Green no longer pursued this research."
http://www.paulaschoice-eu.com/shop/default.asp?s=7015DAED119F47E58C0A09CFA5E668E7&art=1207

rhubarbarin
February 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Everyone has different products that work for them.

Sulfates are great for me! IME every non-sulfate cleanser I have tried (various soaps, shampoo bars, non-sulfate bottled shampoos) makes my hair SUPER dry and rough even after conditioning, but sulfates don't. My scalp also feels better with sulfates, it's the only thing that makes it not itchy.

They do dry out my skin pretty badly though, so I use oil-based soaps for body washing.

bgarrison
February 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Are there differences between the Lauryl/laureth sufates and the ammonium sulfates?

Also, does anyone know of a sulfate shampoo without fragrance, colors or cones?

Thanks for a great thread!

ktani
February 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Are there differences between the Lauryl/laureth sufates and the ammonium sulfates?

Also, does anyone know of a sulfate shampoo without fragrance, colors or cones?

Thanks for a great thread!

Both sodium laureth sulfate (sles) and ammonium laureth sufate (ales) are milder than sodium lauryl sulfate (sls) and ammonium lauryl sulfate (als) and are considered to be gentle cleansers.

I developed a sensitivity to ales and now I uses sles shampoo.

joyfulmom4
February 27th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I had mixed feelings about the sulfate shampoos in the past. I didn't see that they were causing a problem for me and they seemed to work fine.

But then I heard a more compelling reason to avoid them. The surfactants in shampoos, toothpaste, soaps and multiple other products are made from palm oil. Sodium and ammonium laurel and laureth sulfate are some of these. The demand for palm oil products worldwide is tremendous and is contributing to the further destruction of rainforests.

I wasn't all that concerned about sulfates after reading the debates on sulfate safety and hair drying effect. But I did sit up and listen when I heard about the environmental factor. And since I've found some good substitutes w/o it, well it's an easy substitution to make.

howsitgrowin'87
February 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I know it seems sort of silly, but I'm realizing I get sucked into propaganda easily. I'm believe now that everyone worries too much, including myself.

I can understand how some people react badly to the irritation of SLS or SLES, and they shouldn't use it, but I know that my scalp prefers it, and I enjoy using it.

I have to admit that every time I would wash my scalp I felt a little guilty, like I was giving myself cancer, and now I know that there was no reason to fear it at all, I feel relieved!

YaY!:cheese: