PDA

View Full Version : A Bittersweet 3-Year LHC Anniversary

Nightshade
February 26th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Today is both a happy and a sad day today. It's a happy day because it's my third LHC Anniversary, and it's a sad day because one year ago today our beloved Cuma crossed the Rainbow Bridge (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1352). I miss him so badly yet, and though I love Tsavo and Hecate, Zerah and Mishka... that cat-shaped hole is still there. He was something special.

So I dedicate my Third LHC Anniversary to Cuma. I'll see you at the Bridge, bud.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/th_CumaLaptopNap1Small.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/CumaLaptopNap1Small.jpg)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/th_LookingUpsmall.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/LookingUpsmall.jpg)

Hair-wise, my overall gain-length factor has probably been less impressive than most, simply because I've continued my regimin of trimming, and have actually increased it to a quarter inch a month to an inch every other month. By this time next year I should be rid of all that damage I constantly kvetch about, and the few layers I'm growing out in the back should be at waist, which in the end means a much thicker hemline for me!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=32676

3-6-06 The Midback Abyss: This was my first LHC siggy. Before coming to LHC I’d discovered henna and oiling, but ended up over-hennaing my hair, to try to blend in the old red dye and my naturally ash brunette color. The result was hair that was better than what I had with dye, but it had taken on this cool burgundy hue that quickly became the bane of my existence. I was oiling, but still using cones, but trying to protect the ends by not shampooing. So, lots of buildup, and still lots of damage. My henna/damaged hair line was just above my shoulders. About this time I began trying to lighten my hair up to reduce the cool burgundy shade that the henna had built up. So after applying yogurt, amla & oil, baking soda and lord knows what else, I did get it to lighten a little and pulled out the worst of the purple tones. Around this time I also switched my henna mix from the ultra-complex henna+lemon juice to henna, turmeric, paprika, chamomile tea and lemon juice. This produced a marginally more coppery color, but the effects of both the paprika and the turmeric were short lived. But, it was better than I had before, so I kept at it. At this point I was still using a cone serum on the ends.

4-18-06 Waist: I was pretty much cone free by this point. I think it makes my hair look a lot fuller. Another adjustment to the henna mix, now it was only henna, turmeric, chamomile tea and a splash of lemon juice. The color is starting to even out a bit and it moving towards more of a warm coppery brown.

2-19-07 Hip: Hair is much longer that it was a year ago, considering. Here I first managed to space my monthly ½ to ¼ inch trims to every other month. Too many changes to list in between the last pic and this one, but… I did ColorFix on my hair to try to take the black stripes out (you can’t see them in these pictures, but you can in the bun pic below) and also to try to kill some of the ruby redness from the dye that was still lurking. I also switched my henna mix to 50% cassia 50% henna, chamomile tea and a splash of lemon, which was pretty close to the mix I use now. The were are on their way to being tolerable, though there was still about a foot of hair with dye under the henna that needed to go.

10-9-07 Tailbone & Goal Length: I FINALLY hit 38 inches of hair, which on me is tailbone. From here I decided to maintain about that length, and switched to cutting a full inch every other month, which I guessed to my all of my growth. Turns out I apparently grow MORE than half an inch a month, as it kept gaining length in spite of the trims. By this point I had settled on my current henna mix of 35% henna, 65% cassia and hot chamomile tea. The issue that I was getting then was that the roots where the lighter chamomile mixes were shone a nice bright coppery color, but the length was a much darker, cooler red. I posted many threads whining about this.

8-31-08 The Midcrack Abyss: Lingering just past tailbone I was mantaining the routine from the photo above. I'd tried honey lightening before my wedding to lighten up the length, but without any luck. Thankfully, though, the autumn sun was bright that October day, and my hair shines copper in many of the pics. This picture was taken in a butterfly garden on the trial day for my wedding hair. Thankfully the autumn sun had my hair gleaming copper on the big day :)

02-12-09 Almost Classic & Color Corrected: Much to my delight my trims are paying off and my hemline is starting to thicken. I have only about 4 inches of damaged hair left, hence the thinner ends. There's also a layer about 4 inches from the hemline, so in another few months now my hemline should be oodles thicker. The biggest difference here is that I did a lot of testing and took the punge, lightening the length of my hair with Sun-In to match the lighter cassia/henna parts (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19317). For the first time since I came to LHC I am really, honestly happy with my hair. Now I can keep plugging away at thickening things up, but that seems so small compared to the daunting task of hating that burgundy color on me as I looked at spending years growing it out.

Hair Goals: Keep growing, maybe to fingertip, but only so much as it will grow as I continue to make my bi-monthly 1 inch trims.

Bun Evolution: I thought this would be a fun picture, here's my bun as BSL (see those black streaks? I miss those a lot.), compared to my bun now.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=32674

Color Evolution- Here's how my color has changed over the last several years. It's so nice to have it not only the color I wanted, but also healthier than its ever been.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1695&pictureid=32675

And as a finalie, here's a pic I took last night just for this thread. I'm taking votes, should I put this one or my current pic as my Profile pic? Despite the color, I like my siggy too much to change it. And I even remembered to clean the mirror!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/2-25-09.jpg

Thank you so much for all the laughs (looking at you, Ms Vampire Rodeo), the support, and the pats on the back when I needed them. Thank you for listening to me prattle endlessly about both henna and damaged ends, to say nothing of my laments about the color.

Though my progress in gaining length has been slow, I've learned a lot, and really, really love it here.

Dark Rosaleen
February 26th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Your hair has certainly come a long way in the past 3 years. It looks lovely, and I like the current copper color you've been able to achieve.

And Cuma was a very sweet looking cat.

Congrats on your progress.

rhysiana
February 26th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Congratulations on three years of progressively healthier hair! And thank you for all your contributions to LHC; you are always informative, as well as entertaining.

cindy58
February 26th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Wow, great post! Your experiments are invaluable because they are so well documented (and successful!) Yes, I like the new photo for your Profile pic. I love your signature one too.

I remember your posts about Cuma. Yes, cats are definitely special. I was listening to one of Dean Koontz' Trixie audio books the other day, and that had me thinking again of the pets waiting for me at the bridge.

scalawaggirl
February 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Nightshade, an amazing chronicle of your 3 years on LHC. It's a testament to hard work and perseverance to achieve your hair goals.

Excellent job and success!!! :bow:

I can empathize with your feelings of loss over Cuma. He is waiting for you and probably hanging around right now.

Pixna
February 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
As a cat person myself, and having lost one of the furry loves of my life around the same time as your dear Cuma, my heart goes out to you. May we all be reunited one day!

Your hair is incredible, Nightshade. It was so much fun and so inspiring to see the photos of your journey. Even your bun has seen growth! :D I vote for your latest pic (from last night) to replace your siggy pic. It's absolutely gorgeous!!!

sandigirl
February 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Happy Anniversary, Nightshade! Sorry about your kitty. I can certainly empathize. I never knew grief until my favorite cat died. I wish you well, good thoughts, and I will say a little prayer for your peace and happiness.

lora410
February 26th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I am sorry about Cumba :( and your hair looks lovely as always. Happy anniversary :cake: :toast: :flowers:

DavidN
February 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Congratulations to you, Nightshade, on your 3 year anniversary at the LHC, and thank you for sharing these wonderful progress photos from yesterday to the present day. Your hair is definitely syill growing, and it has the most beautiful colour! May you be a member of our community for many more years.:toast:

Also, I know that it is hard to lose a beloved pet, especially when they have become so much of the family, and I am so sorry for your loss.:grouphug:

Naava
February 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Happy anniversary! I know it's sad when you loose a pet, but at least you have the memories :)

I have to say that you have definitely given a lot to LHC. Your articles and other writings have really helped me to underastand new things.

rags
February 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Happy Anniversary Nightshade! And my deepest condolences on the passing of your beloved Cuma. He was a beautiful cat, and I think you did the right thing. He was well-loved, and at the end of the day, who can ask for more than that?

I enjoy always reading your informative (and entertaining -OMG, the "breakdance" comment had me LOL, literally) posts. And the article you wrote for damaged hair is wonderful!

I vote for the new pic to be your profile pic. I wouldn't replace the siggy one either -it's beautiful.

SHELIAANN1969
February 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
:grouphug: I know you will always miss your sweetie. I spent a moment of silence thinking of you and your Cuma.

Your hair had a noticable difference in 1 month! wow. And I love that stick in the 2009 Bun pic! It's beautiful. :D

Your hair is simply stunning, just stunning!!! :flower: Happy 3 year anniversary. :blossom:

twilight
February 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
highly inspirational. i hope your mixed-emotion anniversary reflections afford you with many opportunities for personal growth...

thanks for all the helpful/hilarious posts and the kick-*ss hair stick! :blossom:

trolleypup
February 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Very nice!

I think the best solution would be to go and redo the siggy pic! ;)

Nightshade
February 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Thank you all so very, very much. I'm trying to focus on the good memories of Cuma today (like the time he plugged the bathroom sink, turned it on, and flooded my landlord's apartment :lol:)

I'm sure I'll spend some time talking to him tonight. By the way the Bengals act, I've no doubts he whispers naughty ideas in their ears :twisted:

I'm hoping he'll be Tsavo's guardian angel come May when he goes in for surgery.

It makes me smile that people find me entertaining, and perhaps moreso that some of the things I write are valuable.

The stick I'm wearing is made from a dZi bead that GladtobeMom gave me. You can read more about the meaning of the bead here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1726&pictureid=29092), but here's a closeup view of the stick:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1726&pictureid=29092

Nightshade
February 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Very nice!

I think the best solution would be to go and redo the siggy pic! ;)

:lol: If that location weren't a few hours away, I would. Perhaps next time I visit Beldaran I can bribe her with lunch and a chai to redo it :eyebrows:

Anje
February 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Wow, I like the nearly-classic length on you, and didn't realize it was getting so much longer... (To me, hair starts looking really long when it gets significantly past tailbone.) Your final coppery color is really close to my natural tone, interestingly.

Sorry to hear about Cuma. Having kitties is like having children that never grow up (to me as someone who hasn't had children, anyway) -- they always depend on you, and you feel a need to protect them from everything.

Fencai
February 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
awwwwwws!!!!!! Love and light to you and Cuma!!

as well, congrats on the progress, and successes with your hair!!!! you're definitely one of my idols!

Lamb
February 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I am so sorry about your loss. :(

But your anniversary chronicle is fantastic! :bowtome: Congratulations on the wonderful journey. :blossom:

maskedrose
February 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Happy 3 year anniversary Nightshade! My heart goes out to you in regards to Cuma though - this must be a bittersweet day for you. He looks like he was a wonderful boy, but I think I agree that he might be whispering naughty things in your babies ears - he doesn't look like the type lounge about doing nothing for years waiting for you. A guy's gotta have some entertainment, right? :twisted:

Your hair, on the otherhand, should be a cause for celebration - it looks fantastic! I love the copper color you've achieved and I didn't realize you were so close to classic!

You really are a great asset to the boards - I get a kick out of your various rant posts and I've really enjoyed hearing about your wedding, your adorable kitties and of course, your hair. You also make some pretty amazing hair oil, if I do say so myself!!

Here's to many more years at LHC :bottomsup:

Islandgrrl
February 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Happy Anniversary, Nightshade!!! :cake: :sushi: :heart:

AJoifulNoise
February 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
You've had a hair-raising kinda ride these last three years, haven't you? It definately seems worth it, though. You have beautiful hair. Perfect to go along with a lovely, if not quirky, lady. Those are the best kind. Here's to another 3 years! :toast:

kdaniels8811
February 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Nightshade - you are an inspiration to all of us. I sympathize with the loss of Cuma, my bridge is going to be so crowded I won't be able to wade through... smile! Your bun gives me hope, mine is so tiny! but I am not at BSL yet and it has only been a few months. Grow, dammit, grow!

Thank you for the wonderful chronicle of your years here.

Nightshade
February 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Anje- I have to agree, it looks a lot longer now, though I'm not sure why.

Fencai- Thank you for the kind words, I'm very honored to be a hair idol!

Lamb- Yeah, it wasn't until a few days ago I figured out that the days matched up. I was going to be away from the computer for my actual anniversary last year, so I had posted it a bit early, hence why I never made the connection. Thank you though, for both the kind thoughts and the compliments!

maskedrose- Ha! Cuma was such a punk you coudn't believe it. I trust he's causing problems wherever he is :inlove: I'm so glad to hear you enjoy my posts and my yammering on various things.

Islandgrrl- Thank you so much!

AJoifulNoise- :lol: You're so punny. Quirky, I like that :)

kdaniels8811- Hang in there and take many pics, it makes looking back so much more fun! So what you're saying is that your furry possee is going to body-surf you over the bridge :D That'd be awesome.

hanne jensen
February 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
:toast::flowers: Congratulations on your 3 year anniversary! Your hair is so beautiful and the color is fantastic.

I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved kitty. :( It is so hard to lose someone one loves. There is no consolation so I won't even try.

Lady aster Serios of the Calming Hands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

almudena
February 26th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Once again, happy anniversary!!! :joy: :happydance: and congrats con such a wonderful progress :flowers:

Rohele
February 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Your hair looks beautiful, Nightshade. Don't worry about prattling on about damaged ends - you're an inspiration to all of us who are currently trying to grow out damaged ends.

Cuma was a cutie - its obvious that he was very much loved. Its so hard to let furry friends go - they become so much a part of our lives.

So its a happy and a sad anniversary for you - I'm not sure wether to offer you congratulations or hugs, so I guess I'll offer both.

Jessaka
February 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Happy Anniversary Nightshade :) Your hair has gone through a transformation & I love the shade it's at right now!

I'm sad to hear that Cuma passed a year ago, because I too have lost a few cats who I truly cared for and know how heartbreaking it can be. They can be like bestfriends and are always there for you when you need them.

angeldance
February 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry about Cuma, I wish they could live as long as we do.

Your hair is soooo beautiful, I just love the colour.

MountainGypsy
February 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
:grouphug:

BEAUTIFUL hair, you are an inspiration, as always :flower:

joyellen
February 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Gosh, your hair has made quite a journey is just stunning. I'm very sorry about the cat-shaped hole in your life, I have one too. :flowers:

Tabitha
February 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Wow! amazing bun evolution! and I love the new colour.

I can still cry at seeing pictures of my first cat, who died 5 years ago. Each cat is unique and though we may love other cats, the pain is only tempered with time, never going away completely. :blossom:

I have this card with a favourite quotation from Colette: "There are no ordinary cats" (Il n'y a pas de chat ordinaire).

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5662/48525906.jpg

Morningglory
February 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM
It is nice to see how much your hair has improved over the three years here! :wethree:

Your latest picture is so amazingly, beautiful. The color of your hair is fantastic, and your length and shape look perfect to me!:toast:

sibylla
February 26th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Happy 3 years Nightshade!

Your hair is so beautiful. I´m so happy that such a crafty and creative person is here at LHC. I speak from all of us when I say that you´re a great inspiration for us all and I´m happy that you share your hair-wisdom with us.

A big hug from Malmö Sweden to you :blossom:

~GypsyCurls~
February 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Congrats on your progress, Nightshade! You have beautiful hair and are an inspiration to many of us. :)

SimplyLonghair
February 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Dear Nightshade, Congrats on the Anniversary and condolences on your loss. While time may make the loss easier to deal with, it never takes it away.
Just remember Cuma is watching you. http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-animal-066.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

You are a wonderful and well loved member here.
Who has grown to become a great resource!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy110.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

So here is some cheese!http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-object-058.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Elenna
February 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Your "hair journey" is very encouraging, and what lovely color and length.

embee
February 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Happy Anniversary, Nightshade!

You have my sympathy on the cat-size empty space in your heart - I have a good number of those myself.

manderly
February 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Nightshade, you have been one of my "heads to watch" since I came here. Your hair is so lovely, and I really love your coppery color (I'm not a fan of burgundy).

Your hair is gorgeous :)

And a rainbow bridge hug for Cuma :grouphug:

jel
February 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Happy happy day, Nightshade, and I'm sorry that it's a sad day too.

Your hair looks as great as it always does in pics (honestly, I could never see that damage you kept on about), but what matters more is that you're happy with the colour and health now.

:flowers:

WritingPrincess
February 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Congratulations on your progress, your patience, and your color! Your color rocks!

And my condolences over Cuma's death.

LeaM07
February 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Congratulations, Nightshade!

I recognize the old siggy pics -- you've made wonderful progress!

Henna, debate threads, veterinary care, potty humor... thanks for helping to make this place a fun place to visit! :p

jessie58
February 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Your very pretty hair has grown into a stunning mane. :thud:

Addy
February 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
My congratulations on 3 years and my deepest sympathies on the loss of your baby Cuma.

Your hair is gorgeous!

lapushka
February 26th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Congratulations on your progress. It's grown quite a bit since the beginning.
I also love your new hair color.

So sorry to hear about Cuma.

Coriander
February 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Thank you so much for all the laughs (looking at you, Ms Vampire Rodeo), the support, and the pats on the back when I needed them. Thank you for listening to me prattle endlessly about both henna and damaged ends, to say nothing of my laments about the color.

Love ya girl :flowers:

Congratulations on your 3-years in Wonderland here... I know it's a hard day for you as well. Anniversaries of this kind are never easy especially when there is still a part of your heart darkened by grief. Cuma glows on screen as I'm sure he did in your life - he's not far away. I'm sure he's always there, purring in spirit around you.

You were my first inspiration on LHC when I joined almost three years ago. I've always admired your spunk and wit and of course your gorgeous, gorgeous hair!! Look at how far you have come in your journey. Isn't it amazing? :)

Your hair is lovely, and incredibly long. I had no idea it had gotten that long! Wow! I'm so glad for you that you've found your "good color" again.

Thank you, Nightshade, for being such an integral part of this community. Happy anniversary. :) :grouphug:

QueenMadge
February 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Nightshade, it is color like yours that always makes me reconsider letting the grey grow out. It looks beautiful with the more uniform copper color and as someone else mentioned is a better fit for your skin tone.

The photos of Cuma and your obvious love for him are touching. I am sure he is watching over you.

Lovely;-).

Forlorn Reverie
February 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Nightshade, your hair is stunning! Congrats on your anniversary, and thank you for sharing those awesome progress pictures.

JamieLeigh
February 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Happy Anniversary!! :flower: I'm sorry it's a bittersweet one for you, and I know you never quite get over losing someone (pets are someONEs...not someTHINGs!!!) you love! :(

I love the new pic, and YES, you should put it in your profile! :D

I also love the progress pics, and it's amazing what a transformation your hair has undergone since starting here at LHC. I hope my 3-yr progress pics are equally as interesting and informative.....however, we'll have to wait until October of 2011 to see those. :o

JessTheMess
February 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Congratulations on your three year anniversary!!!!!
Thank you for sharing your wisdom, your stories, and your lovely kittehs with us.
:cheese:
I'm sure that Cuma is sitting on the rainbow bridge proud of his fur-mama.

tomm
February 26th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Congratulations on your three year anniversary, Nightshade!

Please accept our deepest condolences on Cuma's going to the Rainbow Bridge. There are some cat-shaped holes that never can be filled.

ajr
February 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM
WOW

Your hair is lovely Nightshade it always has been, though of course I'm happy that it's finally the coppery shade you always wanted. I love reading your post since you put so much thought and time into your experiments. Funny since we both wanted to reach tailbone, and now we're both beyond it. I think I'll stay at near classic for now, can't wait to see yours at fingertip length though =)

gdimoonbeam
February 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
My sympathies on Cuma's anniversary, I have a feeling he is waiting for everyone else to join him to play someday.

Congratulation on your 3 year anniversary. You have taught so many that have come after you, we have gained much from your presence.:cheer:

squiggyflop
February 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
sorry to hear about your kitty.. your hair is looking lovely.. im still waiting to do the sun in.. i dont have money right now.. i hope i dont forget..
i had no idea your hair had gotten so long! and what a lovely shade..:thudpile:

bouton99
February 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Congratulations to your anniversary and thank you for that flashback. You have wonderful hair.

Sorry for your loss.

bouton:flowers:

rymorg2
February 27th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Congrats Nightshade....sorry about Cuma, I know that feeling. sigh.....

DecafJane
February 27th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Nightshade, your hair is gorgeous and you are such a lovely person to have around on the forum. :)

I'm so sorry that you lost your friend. Please give your other kitties a big cuddle for me! (Of course, only do so if they want a cuddle. ;) )

Yedda
February 27th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Your cat was adorable and I hope you enjoy good memories as you mourn your loss.

Congratulations on your 3 years and finally getting the color you were looking for.:)

AutumnLeaves
February 27th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Nightshade, I think your hair is beautiful and quite stunning. I love the color and if it weren't for the growing roots, I'd have mine the same color as yours. I love it. Not only that, but your creative talents are so lovely and I am a proud owner of a set of your lovely hairsticks! Thank YOU, darlin'!

brok3nwings
February 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Im so sorry that this is also a sad memory for you... i have 3 cats of my own and i cant imagine my life without them. They all have their own "thing" and they are all so special. no one and no cat can replace their individuality.
About your hair... :D for start with, congratulations on your anniversary! i must say you have a lovely lovely hair nightshade, and i personally love this last colour you reached, the only way i would ever do henna would be to get to that colour. So im glad you did it, and im glad you are happy with your hair now! Its beautiful :)

paper
February 27th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Happy Anniversary Nightshade :flowers:

Great progress pictures! Your hair is just gorgeous!

AquaViolet1973
February 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Nightshade, your hair is absolutely gorgeous, and I think your signature picture is incredibly beautiful.
You have made so many wonderful contributions to LHC. Congratulations on your anniversary here.

Also, I know the heartbreak of losing a beloved pet. ((((hugs)))) It hasn't even been a year since my cat Henry died.
I now have another precious kitty named Angel that I adopted from the Humane Society last May, right after Henry died. I hope Angel lives for many many years. I love Angel so much. I can't imagine life without her. There are pictures of Angel in my photo album. The link is in my signature.

Again, Nightshade, congrats on your anniversary here. Have a wonderful day. :blossom:

Nightshade
February 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Thank you all for your kind words :flowers:

It's almost strange being happy with my hair, though I continue to work on it, gaining thickness and being rid of the last of that damage are my next goals.

That there are so many here that understand how that cat-shaped hole just doesn't go away makes me grateful. So many in the "real world" don't seem to get that.

Perhaps the thing that makes me happiest, though, were the comments about my articles, my humor, and my creativity. Those, to me, are more important than my hair ever will be.

You guys rock :grouphug:

Feye
February 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Your hair is very beautiful!

And I know how it feels to depart with your best kitty friend, I still go teary eyed when I think about my little buddy who is no longer with me. My little D'artis looked very much like Cuma :grouphug:

Johanna64
February 27th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Congratulations Nightshade,your hair is gorgeous!! :)
But I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitty :grouphug:

Sunshine69
February 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Congratulations on your 3 year anniversary!

I still remember and miss each and every one of my pets that I've lost throughout my life. I will always have animals in my family. I can't imagine life without pets. My thoughts are with you as you remember your beloved Cuma.

ljc
March 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Nightshade.....congrats on the time you have been here. Your hair = muy bueno!!!

Be also proud of being an animal lover....think of the good lives you haven given your flock.

LJC

jera
March 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Cuma. :confused: He was a cutie and looked like he had a playful outgoing spirit.

Your hair looks awesome now. I love the color you've achieved. You look like a PreRaphaelite painting. :)

suziwon
March 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Nightshade,

I absolutely love the color of your hair! It's tempting me to go auburn again. I keep resisting because I have a patch of grays at the back of my head, and I've noticed that since 30 I've been getting more grays than I'd had before, and I'm looking forward to going gray (yes, I'm weird).

Seeing the progress you've made on your journey gives me hope that one day I too will cross the other side of the mid back abyss.

Skipper sends :puppykisses: to help ease the pain of missing Cuma. He figures that since he's more cat than dog, you'd appreciate them. ;)

Nightshade
March 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Thank you all so much! Beldaran sent me a card from Cuma, so that was very sweet of her :)

jera- Cuma did have one hell of a playful spirit. He was nearly thirteen and never, ever acted like it. The week before we put him down he turned on the bathroom sink, plugged the drain and flooded our bathroom, which poured down into my landlord's part of the house. She noticed only when the drywall had gotten so soft that the pictures were falling off of it!

I love the color you've achieved. You look like a PreRaphaelite painting.

Now that's a compliment for the books. Pre-Raphaelite just happens to be one of my favorite styles of painting :flowers:

suziwon- You're not that strange, or at least as strange as I am, I'm looking forward to all white hair. :) I have no doubts that you too will cross the Midback Abyss. Really, once you hit waist everything past that was cake (at least for me).

And I'll happily take :puppykisses: I love dogs, but won't put one in a two-bedroom apartment when both of us work. :o

suziwon
March 2nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
suziwon- You're not that strange, or at least as strange as I am, I'm looking forward to all white hair. :) I have no doubts that you too will cross the Midback Abyss. Really, once you hit waist everything past that was cake (at least for me).

Woohoo! You have no idea how much hearing that I'm not alone in looking forward to all white hair made my day! :happydance: I'm amongst the youngest where I work, and the majority of my coworkers think that my opinion will change in another 5-10 years.

Going gray early happened to my mom and both of her sisters. I still love my mom's oldest sister's hair the most though. It's been snow white for as long as I can remember. That my grays are more sparkly silver than a true gray has me hopeful that I'll win that lottery too!

Firefly
March 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Congrats on you anniversary, Nightshade! Your hair is a constant inspiration. I'd love to know how you get those awesome spirals in your sig picture... please don't tell me your hair just naturally falls that way! LOL (Green is not a good color on me ;)).

And sorry about the loss of your Cuma. I lost my Pru (who coincidentally was the spitting image of Cuma!) almost a year ago, and I know how hard it is.

Firefly

Carolyn
March 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Your progress pictures are marvelous. Your hair is so pretty. I'm so sorry about Cuma. It never gets easier.

Nightshade
March 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Woohoo! You have no idea how much hearing that I'm not alone in looking forward to all white hair made my day! :happydance: I'm amongst the youngest where I work, and the majority of my coworkers think that my opinion will change in another 5-10 years.

Going gray early happened to my mom and both of her sisters. I still love my mom's oldest sister's hair the most though. It's been snow white for as long as I can remember. That my grays are more sparkly silver than a true gray has me hopeful that I'll win that lottery too!

That'd be awesome! I just want to look like a Drow elf ;) I actually even have a waist-length white wig :p

Congrats on you anniversary, Nightshade! Your hair is a constant inspiration. I'd love to know how you get those awesome spirals in your sig picture... please don't tell me your hair just naturally falls that way! LOL (Green is not a good color on me ;)).

And sorry about the loss of your Cuma. I lost my Pru (who coincidentally was the spitting image of Cuma!) almost a year ago, and I know how hard it is.

Firefly

:lol: Nope, not natural :) That pic was taken after the trial run for my wedding hair. You can read about it in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10985)if you want, the pic start around post 60-something.

I'm sure you'll be reunited with Pru on the other side of the Bridge :) It sucks, and its hard, but I know we did the right thing by Cuma.

Your progress pictures are marvelous. Your hair is so pretty. I'm so sorry about Cuma. It never gets easier.

No, it doesn't :(

THank you so much for the kind words :) It's nice looking back at my hair now. Dealing with it then, not so much ;)

ZadenWillowfyre
March 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Very lovely hair! Can't wait till mine is that long >.>

Forest
March 3rd, 2009, 03:20 AM
Thank you for taking the time to put this post together. It was very interesting reading, and fun with comparisons for lenght, colour etc. I love your hair in all the photos. :cheer:
I think your current signature picture is awesome, please keep it. :pray:

Firefly
March 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks, Nightshade, for the link to the additional pictures. :flower: It's a gorgeous style! You must have been such a lovely bride!

Forest
March 3rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Now I have checked out the pictures in the link. Wow. :bigeyes: Those are good inspiration. Have to go home and talk to boyfriend about a wedding. :D

Bet you were the most beautiful bride ever! :)

Nightshade
March 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Awwww thank you guys :flowers:

For what it's worth, I FELT like the prettiest bride in the world that day, and that's what's important. There's a few pics of me in my dress in my private albums. Just shoot me a friend request if you're interested :)

Stacy_E
March 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Happy anniversary Nightshade! You're hair is looking beautiful, with your soft waves and new color. I always enjoy your thoughtful posts, on a variety of topics.

I can imagine what a cat-shaped hole feels like because I have a dog-shaped one. It's been at least a couple of years since I lost a dog special to me, and I still feel the loss. I like the rainbow bridge thought, though, as it gives a sense of hope.

RedStripe
March 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Happy anniversary! And so sorry about Cuma. Looks like a real sweetie.

utdesertrunner
March 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
You are a hair inspiration to me! Your hair is just beautiful and I've enjoyed reading about your journey.

sneakybea
March 4th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Congratulations on your anniversary! I know I always enjoy reading your posts, and I stalk your Etsy store even when I don't have money, just to read your lovely descriptions of your equally lovely work!
Love your reference to "looking like a Drow" above; I always describe my silvers as "elf hairs," although I'm much too pasty to ever look like a drow (I was thinking about the Borderland series myself).
And I'm so sorry about Cuma; I know you'll be together again someday.

Starr
March 4th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Happy Anniversary dearest Nightshade! You have made such amazing progress and I'm happy that you decided to share that with us. Cuma would be proud.

winter_star
March 4th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Congratulations Nightshade and Happy Anniversary! Your hair is looking beautiful. Thanks for the sharing some great pics and a well documented hair history.

:bottomsup: to Cuma!

Lize
March 4th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Nightshade - You have put a lot of work into your hair and it has payed off! Your hair looks fantastic! :flowers:

Nightshade
March 4th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Thank you all so much :cheer: I tend to look at my hair as an ongoing project, as if I ever thought about how long it'd take to have "ideal Nightshade hair" it'd be too depressing ;)

Congratulations on your anniversary! I know I always enjoy reading your posts, and I stalk your Etsy store even when I don't have money, just to read your lovely descriptions of your equally lovely work!

Love your reference to "looking like a Drow" above; I always describe my silvers as "elf hairs," although I'm much too pasty to ever look like a drow (I was thinking about the Borderland series myself).

And I'm so sorry about Cuma; I know you'll be together again someday.

I'm far too pale to ever pull off the Drow look, but that didn't stop me from blackening my skin and going as one for Halloween a few years ago :p Maybe I could pull off a moon elf :ponder:

I know I'll see Cuma again, it's just the waiting to do so that sucks :o