PDA

View Full Version : scalp massages make me shed

pdy2kn6
February 26th, 2009, 03:16 AM
i have decided to give my self a scalp massage everyday to try and increase blood circulation and growth, but whenever i have done scalp massages in the past my hair tends to shed more after i have finished my massage. For example when i finger comb my hair before i massage i might not get any hairs coming out in my fingers, however after i have done a massage i tend to get lots more strands coming out, does anyone know why this is? is it the dead hairs coming out making way for the new growth? does this happen to any of you guys after a scalp massage? TIA guys :confused:

Katze
February 26th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Yes, that plus extra flaking and itching. So I normally don't do scalp massages, except before washing or as part of a WO wash. My scalp just does not like to be touched.

tiny_teesha
February 26th, 2009, 03:25 AM
oil and scalp massages make my hair fall out. I avoid it. Actually, anything on my scalp makes me shed. Including conditioner! NEVER again!

arabidbutterfly
February 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM
My hair really likes scalp massages, but I do notice that I loose a few more hairs when I do rather than when I don't. I keep on, though, since it has actually helped with my scalp itchies!

embee
February 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
My guess is that those hairs were getting read to go anyway and the massage just helped them on their way. At least that's how it seems to me. I think I notice because it's "all at once" - like when I shampoo, I'm looking for shed hairs right then and I notice how many there are. Otherwise they might just float away one at a time and I'd not see them go.

pdy2kn6
February 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
i too was thinking this embee, i thought perhaps it is just moving the process along, so therefore its actually a good sign rather than a bad one?? hmmm

pdy2kn6
March 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
perhaps the more i do them,. the more i woud develop a tolerance to them and thus shed less

cowgirllong
March 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have to agree with Embee, I think the hairs are probably going to go anyway. Unless scalp massaging causes a lot of hair to come out, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My head loves a good scalp massage!

RancheroTheBee
March 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Every day? Really? I did that, and it made my scalp itchy and sore. I do it about once or twice a week now, with good results.

(And by "me", I mean DBF does it. He enjoys playing with my hair, I enjoy having more hair; everybody wins!)