PDA

View Full Version : Evil Cone :(

LittleOrca
February 26th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I was experimenting with washing my hair without cones. I loved how soft my hair felt and how wonderful it was. I loved my hair with cones too, but it just felt so much cleaner without them. Since I was low on my poo and con I went out and got some more stuff. I checked the ingredients and thought I was in the clear.

However, when I was showering, the stuff felt different. I knew something wasn't right. When I checked the ingredients again, I saw 1 cone. I sighed, but thought, how bad could just 1 cone be? Out of the shower my hair felt... just strange to me. If I wasn't scrunched for money, I'd toss the cones and wash my hair with a cleanser and get REAL non-cone stuff. Will have to wait a little more to go a better no-cone thing. Stupid hiding cone. :P

patissegrietje
February 26th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I was experimenting with washing my hair without cones. I loved how soft my hair felt and how wonderful it was. I loved my hair with cones too, but it just felt so much cleaner without them. Since I was low on my poo and con I went out and got some more stuff. I checked the ingredients and thought I was in the clear.

However, when I was showering, the stuff felt different. I knew something wasn't right. When I checked the ingredients again, I saw 1 cone. I sighed, but thought, how bad could just 1 cone be? Out of the shower my hair felt... just strange to me. If I wasn't scrunched for money, I'd toss the cones and wash my hair with a cleanser and get REAL non-cone stuff. Will have to wait a little more to go a better no-cone thing. Stupid hiding cone. :P

Terribly evil!! I had that happen to me too... thought i bought a clarifying shampoo until...
i saw the evil cone hiding behind another harsh ingredient :eek:

arabidbutterfly
February 26th, 2009, 02:48 AM
:demon:*Gasp*

Sydney
February 26th, 2009, 03:19 AM
hmmm.......what was the name of the cone?

LittleOrca
February 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
It was dimethicone.... the one that detangles and makes hair shiny and can block moisture, but also lock it in.

manderly
February 26th, 2009, 05:09 AM
This is why we love the cheap "crap" lots of other people turn their noses up to :)

Suave, VO5 and White Rain are our bestest friends. Great cone-free hair and cheap to boot!

Curlsgirl
February 26th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Well maybe you could use less of it, maybe water it down and it would be better, course that would make it last longer too :confused:

Fencai
February 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
hmph! There's always one hiding!!!!

plainjanegirl
February 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Well maybe you could use less of it, maybe water it down and it would be better, course that would make it last longer too :confused:

I second this idea. So sorry this happened to you . After I buy something I hate to waste it. Hope you find a way to get it to work for you. Good luck!

Oh and another thing if you know some of the brands or kinds that you are interested in I have found it helpful to google it and find reviews (good and bad) and also ingredients listings (cause those little labels are hard to read) before I go to the store.

plainjanegirl
February 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
This is why we love the cheap "crap" lots of other people turn their noses up to :)

Suave, VO5 and White Rain are our bestest friends. Great cone-free hair and cheap to boot!

You know I find that so odd.
A girl at work/church has long thick hair and the other day we were talking (she wears it in a big bun all the time) and her hair is only 4 or 5 inches from the floor. Guess what? She uses Suave most of the time.
My mom has knee length hair though it is not thick anymore. Guess what? She uses suave too.
I really wish I could learn to get suave to work for me and to like it.

Jessikinz
February 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM
This always happens to me too. I bought this one shampoo and condish, and it only had a few ingredients in it. Until after I read it had one cone in it. It didn't bother me though, I just used less of it or deluted it with water. I used to always buy this one brand of shampoo and condish, I forget what it was called, but it smelt amazing! And I only payed $1.00 for it all together. It had clover in it, aloe, and no cones. I loved that stuff, but I can't find it in my town anymore. And it was the only kind that my hair liked. Other stuff that had no cones in it, my hair hated them. Except for that brand I used to have. I shall go search for it in town one of these days.

Copasetic
February 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I have done the same thing. I bought a conditioner I thought was cone-free, and after using it for a bit I noticed that it had "dimethiconal" in it. I googled it and found out it was a cone. If I was you I would just use that conditioner and then go back to cone-free.

LittleOrca
February 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I really wish I could learn to get suave to work for me and to like it.

I now what you mean. Suave doesn't work at all for me, but VO5 was. Unfortunatly they didn't have any at the store I was at. It's a little frustrating, but I know my hair will live. I used cones for 24 years and my hair was fine, so I know it wont suddenly fall out. I was just really enjoying the cone-free life lol.

lapushka
February 26th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Wasn't there a list around here somewhere that listed shampoos and condtioners without cones and sulfates?

Take a look at this thread!
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7806

~GypsyCurls~
February 26th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I hate it when ingredients hide and you only notice them after you use it, even though you read the ingredients at the store! You could always use it as a shaving cream, if you'd rather not use it on your hair...that way it wouldn't be wasted.

Darkhorse1
February 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I hate it when the product has such tiny printing for the ingredients, you need a magnifying glass in the store to read it! Oy!

manderly
February 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I hate it when the product has such tiny printing for the ingredients, you need a magnifying glass in the store to read it! Oy!

Or they have 60000 ingredients and your eyes glaze over as you scan.

Jessaka
February 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Are cones that bad? Forgive my newbness. I didn't even know what you guys kept talking about when you spoke of 'cones'...now I'm worried. Right now I'm using Tresemme.

manderly
February 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
They're not bad. Some people's hair just does much better without them :)

My hair is nicer when it's cone-free, others are die-hard coneheads. It's just a preference thing. The problem is when you're cone free and you use something with cones in it is that it coats your hair and you have to remove the residue :)

Kirin
February 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Are cones that bad? Forgive my newbness. I didn't even know what you guys kept talking about when you spoke of 'cones'...now I'm worried. Right now I'm using Tresemme.

If what you are using works for you, don't worry about it too much. Cone's can seal out moisture, but a regular clarifying shampoo like once a week takes care of that. Some , like me, has hair rebellions if they use dimithicone, ugh...... nasty and evil, but are fine with other cones.

Jessaka
February 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Hm, this is very interesting to read about actually. There are some shampoos/conditioners that do not work with my hair, but I never stopped to look what was in them. I just switched, LOL. Thanks for the information, Manderly & Kirin :)

plainjanegirl
February 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM

If what you are using now is working then I would not worry about it.

By the way your hair looks so soft and shiny in your sig pic....very nice hair.

Wavelength
February 26th, 2009, 03:29 PM
If you are going cone-free, be aware that some ingredients don't end in "-cone", yet they are still silicones.

A good example is cyclopentasiloxane. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclopentasiloxane)

plainjanegirl
Hm, this is very interesting to read about actually. There are some shampoos/conditioners that do not work with my hair, but I never stopped to look what was in them. I just switched, LOL. Thanks for the information, Manderly & Kirin :)

What was the stuff that did not work for your hair....maybe it was cone free or cone overloaded?

LittleOrca
Wasn't there a list around here somewhere that listed shampoos and condtioners without cones and sulfates?

Take a look at this thread!
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7806

I have read that list, but I also figured I could just read the label at the store and see. Curse small typing.

Jessaka
February 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the compliment, plainjanegirl :) Some stuff works in my hair for a while, then it just stops working, like Bed Head products and Aussie, for example. These work, then one day poof, it makes my hair really ugly and oily at the roots. Some stuff even dries out my scalp, so that makes me switch it up. I get bad dandruff with some stuff and can't figure out why when it worked for a while, then just stops. The stuff that my hair really hates is Herbal Essences, Head & Shoulders, and a few others.

Coriander
February 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I haven't read all the responses yet so please forgive me if I repeat anyone...

Some places will allow you to return products if they don't work for you. Maybe call the store and see if they'll please take it back. Then carry on in your cone-free ways :)

HTH.

Elenna
February 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM
If you are going cone-free, be aware that some ingredients don't end in "-cone", yet they are still silicones. A good example is cyclopentasiloxane. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclopentasiloxane)

Is there a list somewhere of silicons in all the variations of types and spelling? I go for the simplest listing of shampoo ingredients, but it is harder with conditioners. I'm sure that some not-so-great ingredients are sneaking in.

Also some companies are not clear about what their ingredients are. They use general terms instead of the specific name.

QueenMadge
February 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM
You can use it up by using it as a shaving lotion instead. That is what I do with things I don't want on my hair.

JamieLeigh
February 26th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Those little guys can be so sneaky!! :D

That's interesting, that you can feel such a difference without knowing beforehand that you were using a -cone. I still haven't made the complete transition to no-cone!

allege
February 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I went with out cones for over a year now. Then I went to walmart and they had this stuff on sale. I read the label and tought it was safe. I went home and used it. Instantly my hair started misbehaving. My ends look wrecked, tangles, hard to control roots getting really oily way to quick. ReRead the label, yup there it was, mid way through the list, dimethicone.

turtlelover
February 26th, 2009, 10:15 PM
My hair LOVES cones. I can't imagine not having them, even at this length!!!

Jessaka
February 26th, 2009, 11:51 PM
So after reading this..I went home and read all my shampoos & conditioners and what did it have? Dimethicone. All of them. Aussie, Tresseme, Head & Shoulders...ALL. LOL. I don't know if cones make my hair weird, so I guess next I Will have to try something on the list of shampoos & conds that have no cones and we'll see haha.

LittleOrca
February 26th, 2009, 11:56 PM
My hair is alright with the cones, so I will use it until it's gone. Then do a cleansing and get the non-cone stuff at Biglots where its only like $0.98 for VO5 and they sell lots of non-cone things and give it another shot to see how my hair really does without it for a long period of time. Until then, cones for me and a cleansing once in a while to keep the build up to a minimum.