PDA

View Full Version : Have you always been hair obsessed?

SimplyLonghair
February 26th, 2009, 01:09 AM
It is funny, the other day my dear dad and I were talking together with my dd and he happened to mention that I was always hair obsessed. :bigeyes: He reminded me that I used to spend hour upon hour combing and playing with his hair. He said that my mom and he used to laugh and say that I would end up as a hairdresser.
So I just wondered, were any of the rest of you hair obsessed as kids and teens? Or am I alone in this?:rolleyes:

Tornerose
February 26th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I only knew one person who had long hair when I was a kid. She has absolutely beautiful thick black hair with natural body and wave, I always asked her if I could play with it, and as she got older I think she got sick of people always touching her hair. She started wearing it up more, and putting it underneath her sweaters etc, constansly beeing asked if she had cut it.
And I absolutely LOVED playing with Barbie Dolls. I spent the most time on their hair.
When the barbies with heel-lenght hair came out I was ecstatic, and I still miss playing with their hair. Some of my friends used to cut their barbies hair, I never understood why. When I did it, I just found them to get uglier. So I put nailpoish in their hair instead and got new looks that way :D

Heidi_234
February 26th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I wanted to grow my hair long since 7th grade. I was always buying tons of hair products and stuff like that, too bad I didn't knew any better!
Then I became a teenager and started dyeing my hair with all the possible and impossible colors, fighting the curls, heatstyling it, saving money for a Japanese hair straightening and generally praying it would be longer than it was so it won't be such a PITA.
So yeah, very hair obsessed for the most part of my life. LHC really filled a void I had no idea I had :D

logica_divina
February 26th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Umm.. yes. The only difference is that I never had the wish of growing it longer (it was always either APL or BLS). However, I've always taken care of my hair. Others called it obsession.. :)

pdy2kn6
February 26th, 2009, 02:51 AM
i have always looked at those with really long hair in ore, hoping my hair would be that long, but i never actually thought about growing my hair long. There were times i tried it but then would get bored and would end up dying it or cutting it, before it even reached the shoulders. I wanted either really long hair or really short hair, so often was too impatient to wait for my hair to grow so cut it really short. Only about 3 years ago i actually decided...time to grow for GOOD.

Katze
February 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I always loved seeing how in movies the women would change their hair so dramatically from one scene to the next; from straight to curly, up to down. I've always loved clothing and costume and hair has always been part of this.

However as a kid my sister was the 'long haired' one (and the 'nice' one - I was the 'smart' and 'pretty' one :P ) and I would braid her hair and play with it. Our favorite was to braid 'lawn daisies' into her hair then pin it up into a 'coronet.' While I was blonde (hence prettier) she had nicer, thicker hair, and I honestly never thought my hair could ever grow, being so fine and wispy and 'badly behaved' (what I now know are waves). So I really enjoyed playing with her hair, but never thought I could have such hair myself...

Carolyn
February 26th, 2009, 06:52 AM
As a little kid, I loved seeing older girls with long ponytails. I'd envy them so much. My mom didn't allow me to grow it longer then and I guess I didn't care that much because I shut up about it and just went with the program :p When I got to 9th grade I became interested in hair, clothes and make up. I was allowed to take over my own hair care and styling and started growing it out. My mom had given me the perm from hell after getting a salon cut the first week of school. At that point I started learning everything I could about hair and make up. I used to lie in bed at night and dream of when my hair would be long. Seventeen magazine helped a lot with hair care and styling info. All my allowance and babysitting money was spent on hair/makeup/clothes. My mom had her limits on how much stuff she would buy me. She used to have fits over how fast I went threw a can of Aqua Net hairspray. So yeah I'd say hair obsessed since early teens.

jivete
February 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I've always been obsessed. Unfortunately, I've never been able to grow it longer than it is now, about BSL. When I was a kid, I longed for long hair (tee-hee). My sister and I used to make yarn wigs to wear. I don't know that our hair wouldn't grow or if my mom would just cut it to keep it more manageable. After I turned 12 or so there's no way it could've grown on it's own. Perms, bad 80's hairstyles, curling irons, too much time in the sun...APL would've been long back then.

plainjanegirl
February 26th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I had very long hair when I was a kid, but to me it was just hair.
Never really was hair obsessed until I found this place.

HoneyMouse
February 26th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Always been somewhat obsessed with my hair. I adored fancy do's even when I was younger. My mother never let me cut my hair as a child and I never cut it as an adult although I was tempted by a 20's style bob more then once but I knew it wouldn't suit me. Hated being blond tho. I always wanted to be a redhead

sandigirl
February 26th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I was never obsessed but always interested. Hair is one of the first things I notice about a person. I used to brush a lot and always wanted to be sure my hair looked good, but as I aged I cared less about perfection and more about convenience. Now I have a ponytail unless it's a special occasion. Hair is fun.

twilight
February 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM
pretty much, yes. either i lavished in its length or obsessed over cutting it short.. and then obsessed over growing it back out. and the colors; oh, the colors.

i do love hair.

scalawaggirl
February 26th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Yes, but for the last 6 months, it's gone to a whole other level. :) I've always been aware of hair and admired or commented in my head about what I saw out in public...heck, I even made an out-loud comment on the state of the lion's hair in the movie Madagascar when he exiled himself in comparison to his lush locks of before.

How crazy it that?:p

lora410
February 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I have ALWAYS loved long hair. I even have it on my fiancées brain; he had a dream last night with someone asking if I used henna and him saying yes I did :rollin:

Fluke
February 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I didn't think twice about hair until I cut it really short when I was 16 and it pretty much stayed that way apart from my two attempts at growing it out the last couple of years.

The only thing I remember about hair from my childhood was that the main length hovered between shoulder and APL and that my mom cut my bangs so they ended up starting further and further back on my head over the years.. shudder:

I remember trying to minimize the bangs when I was 15-16, just cutting the itty bitty front part and letting the rest grow and blend. What irritates me is that it seemed to happen super fast, I have no memory of waiting impatiently for it to grow, I wish it could be like that now too!!

rags
February 26th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Fairly much so, yes. Either a new style (Dorothy Hamill anyone? What was I thinking?) or color, or both. And the eighties, the perms, the perms........
But my hair was almost always long, since my early twenties or so. I find it's become a part of my identity, and I have missed it so these last couple of years. I'm so glad to finally be on my way to getting it back! (Does that sound just a tad obsessed? :D)

Curlsgirl
February 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I remember the first time I got it cut short, to a pixie and that was in 3rd grade and CRYING for days because I hated it. After that I just wanted straight shiny hair and wished mine was like that and did everything to it to try to MAKE it like that until I read the Curly Girl book. It and this place literally changed my hair life LOL. But to answer the question yes in not so healthy ways like letting my hair determine my attitude too much and so on. But since I found LCH in mostly healthy ways because I am focusing on GOOD things and loving my hair the way it is, finding the good in it and wearing it proudly ya know? So it's all GOOD! :D

Curlsgirl
February 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Fairly much so, yes. Either a new style (Dorothy Hamill anyone? What was I thinking?)

I know someone who wore that hairstyle until about 2 years ago. :eek: But hey it DID suit her. So okay then! LOL!

ktani
February 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yes and no. I always liked my hair long from my earliest memories. I did not understand the concept of what it really means to have healthy hair, until much later, and in detail, not until I started reading more about it and found LHC.

"Healthy hair" to many people is a marketing term, used by brands like Pantene and Dove, IMO.

maskedrose
February 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM
LOL I've always been obsessed! I was known for my long blond hair all through school, but my attention has always been divided between my own hair and my horse's, oddly enough. All of my horses have had the best mane and tale care - my mare right now has a knee length, thick, blue-black mane that gets detaingled and braided every night :D

My own hair's health finally succumbed to years of partial highlights with lots of breakage and splits, but thankfully my 6" of new virgin growth is looking as shiny and gorgeous as the good old days!

AJoifulNoise
February 26th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hair obsessed? No. But, I have always cared about it.

I can recall when I was in the 4th grade (or so) I helped out with a practice run for the local EMTs. We staged a bus accident. Complete with blood and gore and children laying about. Before they applied the gore they asked us all if anyone minded having things put in their hair. I was the only one in a room full of other kids. So, I was chosen to be the "hysterical child" which meant I got to run around the horror scene crying and screaming and not co-operating. All because I wouldn't allow them to put red goo in my hair.

I didn't become obsessed until I came here. :p But, I've started calming down a bit in the last couple of months.

Aisha25
February 26th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I dont think so. I always had long hair when I was little. In school when a girl would sit behind me she would ask if she could play with them make a braid? I said sure, hey it felt nice. But then I would feel them smelling my hair and be like umm oook:lol: I got hair obsessed when I had to get my hair cut to my neck:no: it was horrible.

Bloodflower
February 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I had long (hip length) hair as a child and I used to stand in front of our long mirror and tilt my head back so my hair appeared even longer. I even used to S&D back then with a passion although of course I had no clue what it was called and didn't have sharp scissors ... I wasn't into hair care though and at 10 or 11 I had it cut into a bob because that's what two of my best friends also did ...

Anje
February 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Me, obsessed? Never!

OK, maybe a little, but I blame LHC for fostering it.

eyesofsummer
February 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
When I was younger, I hated my hair. I wore it up all the time, and tried to ignore it. It wasn't until I hit high school that I started to learn how to 'take care of it', and even then most of what I did involved ripping through with brushes and heat drying. Over the past few years I've accepted that my hair is curly and that isn't going to change...growing it long seems like the best way to weigh it down and 'control it' (hah!), and make the most of it.

Then I found LHC and you all opened my eyes to how awesome long hair really is! :)

MischiefsMuse
February 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM
My mother insisted that I was not allowed to grow my hair out until I was willing to take care of it. She kept it in a pixie (horrible ear-length arrangement that made me look like a boy). Of course, she also swears there was no such thing as conditioner or detangler then which I suspect is horse poo. Anyhow, she would rip the hair brush through my hair. She maintains that it was because I wouldn't hold still long enough. To which I protest that I wouldn't hold still because it Freaking HURT!! I remember seeing Crystal Gail (old country singer- name might be spelled differently) with hair to her ankles and just thinking that must not be possible for regular folks...
I'm sort of an affection sponge and my mom is not really the touchy-feelie type. As a kid we would 'bond' by playing with each other's hair. Didn't matter what we did, just brush it, braid it... Felt gooood :) I still love to have my hair played with. In fact, that's why I started growing it longer than APL in the first place. I thought that if it was longer people might play with it more. Turns out that's not true but now I'm so attached to the length that I won't cut it anyway :P

Alaskanheart
February 26th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Not at all. I was a major tomboy and could care less about my hair or anyone elses. It just got in the way of my activities, climbimg trees, riding bikes, making forts, fishing, hiking, etc...

enfys
February 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Oh yes. When we were very young all the girls had long hair, then in primary school (7-11) one by one they all cut it. Except me. Then in high school there were about three of us with longer than waist hair and then there was just me. I started to do fun braided styles and got Star Wars and mermaid compliments all the time.

Then I thought I'd cut it. What a dope. The good(ish) news? All my school friends were mortified - bearing in mind this is only BSL - and didn't say it looked nice.

So clearly I'm meant to have long hair, and always will. With me and my sister people always say "You look so alike...but you've got nicer hair"

I've been more obsessed since getting the internet in about 2001.

adiapalic
February 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I was never really too conscious until the last few years--which has made my hair grow a lot thicker and healthier. When I was 15 or 16, I never really did anything other than shampoo/condition with Pantene-Pro V or something, brush my hair with a normal plastic-pronged cushy brush from a department store.

Now I use a boar bristle brush, occasionally putting virgin coconut oil on my dry ends, and use a combination of Burt's Bees Shampoo and Garnier Fructis long & strong conditioner. Burt's Bees conditioner wouldn't help my hair at all.

The only thing about when I was younger was that I refuse anything other than small hair trims . :)

adiapalic
February 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Have you heard about the Curly Girl Handbook? I found that it has some really interesting and helpful tips in there.

peachrose
February 26th, 2009, 01:22 PM
No, not really.
I have one childhood memory of being about 10 and slathering my hair with whatever cheap conditioner we had and leaving it on for ages, praying that my hair would turn out soft and lovely like my mom's hair or my best friends hair. It never did, and I sort of gave up on it, always hacking it into these crazy bobs and pixies whenever I was upset or wanted a change.

In 2007 I discovered flat irons and was so excited that I could finally have nice hair! That lasted less than a year and then I joined here and stopped using heat. I joined LHC about a month after my wedding and I think in a way it was something to replace planning the wedding :)

I must admit, I go a little overboard with my hair obsession these days, partly to distract myself from how badly I want to get pregnant and start our family. Hopefully soon I will relax about it all and just let it grow without looking at it in the mirror every day...

jera
February 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Only since my earliest childhood memories. :D Seriously though, my first compliments in life were directed at my long hair so I recognized the power of a long hair at about age four.

neon-dream
February 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I've always been obsessed with hair. But, not my own until I was around 14 when someone commented that my hair was soooo soft.
So I was like :D:D:D as you can imagine, and thought I'd keep it up. Now, I'm obsessed with my own haha

SimplyLonghair
February 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I am sooooo pleased that others share or at least understand my feelings about hair.

To me there is something almost therapeutic about playing with hair. Maybe it is the monkeyhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-animal-005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) in me, I love to groom! LOL

Unofficial_Rose
February 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Since about age 6. My mum used to cut my hair short like a boy until I was old enough to voice an opinion (aged 6!)

I had a picture of a princess in a fairy tale book with long wavy golden hair and a purple dress. So as soon as I realised what peroxide was (aged 13) I lightened it to a golden colour. Oh, yeah, and when I was 17 I got the dress too. Wasn't till after I got it that I remembered the storybook picture. :)

So, long-ish and blonde for many years. Still obsessed with my hair, but it became naturally darker over the years so I henndigo now I'm in my 40's. And I love it just much as the blonde.

Always been obsessed, to the point where I wonder if I should have become a stylist! I'm going to make a batch of shea butter/coconut oil and aloe vera leave-in for my friend who complains of dry hair and asked how I get mine so shiny. And I see people who have murdered their hair like I used to before I came to LHC and think e.g. today "She could get a much nicer red with henna than that grim orange chemical dye. It would shine, too" etc.

RocketDog
February 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I've always been fascinated by long hair, and apart from a three year detour into hairdye-and-flatiron land, I've been growing it out since I reached adolescence. Someday I'll have the long, luxurious hair I've always dreamed about...

turtlelover
February 26th, 2009, 08:37 PM
When I was 4 years old, my teacher at pre-school, who had the PRETTIEST long, thick hair that I would always try to play with during school --made a comment about getting it cut. I was absolutely HORRIFIED, and pretended to be sick because I couldn't stand the thought of actually seeing her with short hair!!! :-) So yeah, I guess I've always liked long hair, though I've cut mine on and off throughout life. But, I'm definitely a long hair person at heart! No doubt about it! To this day, when I see long hair, I have the urge to play with it.

Then, there was a lady at my church when I was about 8 or 9 with the most gorgeous hair that would touch the piano bench when she would play the piano. I remember drooling over her hair, and trying to sit behind her during church so I could stare at her hair when the sermon got to be boring!!! HAHA

Juneii
February 26th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I had long hair but I wasn't obsessed, I started growing out my hair when I was around 4 or 5 when I saw my mom's long hair and said I wanted it long too. so having long hair was normal to me when I had it in elementary school. it was rather my mom's obsession when she cut her own hair short.
obviously now hair is a major obsession.

Dragon
November 6th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I was never obsessed but always interested.

pepperminttea
November 6th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Sort of. I've wanted long hair for as long as I can remember, and hated the bob cuts given to me when I was a child, but I never looked after my hair at that age. I was that child who never brushed their hair, so it looked rather like a bird's nest on my head, and it was never long enough to do proper updos to keep it neat. It just remained in chin-BSL limbo, knotting furiously. It always bothered me, but I thought it was all it could be, at some level. But I always remember admiring other girls' long ponytails and plaits, and then seeing my own nest of hair in the mirror, and scowling.

Dreams_in_Pink
November 6th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I was never obsessed with my hair! Actually, i never cared about whether i had hair or not back in high school LOL. As soon as i entered college, i started to take care of my looks, then slowly began the obsession. :D

Watergallop
November 6th, 2010, 02:45 AM
When I was ten, I stood in the bathroom and cried, and wouldn't leave the house because my hair didn't look right.

But then again, when I was eleven, I swung my head to the side and spit out my gum in the kitchen trash. The gum landed at the tip of one side of my hair and was cut out. Then... later that day... with a new piece of gum... I did the exact same thing. In my school picture that year one side of my hair is noticeably shorter than the other. But I'm smiling :)

nemileo
November 6th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I think I have been hair obsessed since I was a kid. I remeber standing in front of the mirror bending backwards to se how far down my back my hair would reatch :D

And then I have used my obsession to torture my hair in all thinkable ways during my teens, continuing into my twenties. Now I hope I have canalized the obsession towards something more healthy, both for my hair and the environment:cool:

Wanderer09
November 6th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Yup! As a kid, my fantasy grown-up version of myself always had at least tailbone-length hair. I loved to play with my friends' hair, and was always upset because my hair was shorter than I wanted it. And whenever I drew girls or women, I always spent the most time on their hair...

DARKMARTIAN
November 6th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Cant say that im obsessed .....however I do seem to have had a fascination with non-short hair from a fairly early age.......

I blame Crystal Gayle....:o

Eire
November 6th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I actively disliked my hair for most of my life. It's really lightweight and tends toward poofy when short. I would always have to wrestle with it: blowdrying, then heat styling every rebellious strand... even when I put it up I'd always get wispies sticking out. My hair was constantly dry, brittle, and faded. By the time it was APL it would be so damaged that I'd have to chop to nearly shoulder length.

Then I found LHC! Within a year my hair went from APL to waist, and although the ends are still very porous and a little faded from the damage, I have a good 8 inches or so of healthy hair (it grows really fast, apparently). As soon as I hit BSL my hair became weighted enough to hold itself down. I became much more interested in it, and appreciative. I finally began to have days where I thought, "Wow, I like my hair."

Mostly I'm just glad that I'm on schedule to reach my goal length by the time I get married if it continues to grow as it has been. :) I think it grows a little too rapidly for me to have much time to obsess; it's too much like instant gratification. But I'm certainly not complaining!

XcaliburGirl
November 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I was the Queen of benign neglect until I chopped my hair short in Spring of 2009. I liked my long hair and my daily hairstick cinnabuns, but sometimes the main reason I had it so long was that I rarely thought to have it cut or trimmed. Once I chopped, I had a lot of trouble making it look good "wash-and-go" without constant trims. So, I had to worry about what it was "doing" everyday. Then I found LHC while looking for ways to get rid of frizz and fluff. Now, I can't stop thinking about hair!

The second reason I became hair obsessed is that I have a tendency to become obsessed with one thing in my life, and hair is fairly innocuous. Before, I was dwelling too much on more "serious" matters and that was leaving me feeling down almost all the time.

Angeletti
November 6th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I was never really obsessed with it when I was younger, I liked to do different styles and what not but really never cared so much beyond that. Now that I have joined LHC and I'm trying to grow it out and make it as healthy as possible I have become a little obsessed I must admit : )

Madora
November 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
And how!! Going on for more than 5 decades!

Feng-Shui
November 6th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I had already as I a little girl was the desire long hair to be had.

The braids from the girls in Russian fairy tales and report over India fascinated me very much.:bigeyes:

I had thus already since I to think can back a large preference for long hair.

I always reminds me it my desire was separately braid to be had like the girls in the Russian fairy tales.:inlove:

jaine
November 6th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I think it was mostly my mom who was hair-obsessed, because my hair was already tailbone length in kindergarten and it stayed that way until middle school. And she was the one who cut it and braided it and detangled it and whatnot. She must have really loved long hair because mine was a piece if work ...thick, wurly, and always tangling.
But she taught me to braid and that's useful...how many 2nd graders can French braid their own hair? :)

I'm sad that my mom cut her hair recently actually...she kept it past waist length and it was quite lovely with the salt & pepper color. She cut it to shoulder length a few months ago...hopefully she'll grow it back!!

curlylocks85
November 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I have always been hair obsessed or at least hair conscience. My hair has always been very curly and I never knew how to care for it properly. My mother used to do my hair when I was younger and it always had some sort of Frizz-Ease product in it.

When I was in sixth grade my hair was so curly it had three large knots in it, which I could not get out. I ended up cutting one of them and was so upset that I could not deal with my hair, my mother called a salon to get my hair relaxed.

From that point I wore it relaxed for twelve years, mostly around shoulder length. Last year I decided I wanted to embrace my natural curls and learn to care for them and see if that is what I wanted; so far, so good.

So yeah, I am a bit obsessed. ;)

Dani
November 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Never once gave a serious thought to my noggin until one day, when I was 18 or 19, I looked up "long hair care" on google or askjeeves or whatever-the-heLL, and up popped LHL. The rest is dorky history, and I don't even want to think about the gooberific things I know I said. Then I grew up and became me. :D heh. I was obsessive about my hair for a good many years, up until just a couple years ago, actually. When I finally realized that there was no way my hair would ever be perfect, and to expect that to happen one day was ridiculous. :p "That I would be good..." And my hair would be good, too. ;) There's this scale. On one end is enlightenment; on the other, vanity. I'm way closer to the former now. :p (See how I come up with the goobiest things to say ever? I just can't help it. :pumpkin:)

eicamawa
November 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I've always loved playing with hair. I have a picture of me when I was about 3-4-5 (hard to say), when I was playing with my grandfathers hair, like I always have done. And I even have scissors ready in my and. How I got my grandfather to agree with that, I don't know o.O
I've also always loved to play woth my dolls hair, and my my little ponies hair, and I had three different makeup heads, which saw very litte makeup, and lots of hairthings instead. I also learned different braids and ways to put up my hair from a young age, because my mother couldn't do them. I remember once, maybe I was 8 or 9 years old when I manage to think that a braid on one side of my head and a bun on the other sode was very cool, and I wore it at school the other day. My friend was wondering what was going on in my mind, and I must say that I have no idea.

Sammich
November 6th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Definitely.
Ever since I was a kid I wanted luscious locks... I was silly one day (8ish) and wanted to cut, I didn't think it'd grow that slow!
Gaah. :p

CurlAhead
November 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
No, it started two years ago when I had a major chop and realized how much effort I had to put on my hair.. :rolleyes:

tinti
November 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I think so, or at least concious, and I've allways wanted long healthy hair. When I was little my mom kept my hair at pixie to bob lenght, and I allways wanted long hair, since she had and it looked so nice. When I was 10-11 i actually had CBL, but then everybody else cut their hair and I was stupid and cut it too. I maintained it for a couple of years before I started to grow it again. And then I became obsessed :p

RubyEmpress
November 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM
When the barbies with heel-lenght hair came out I was ecstatic, and I still miss playing with their hair. Some of my friends used to cut their barbies hair, I never understood why. When I did it, I just found them to get uglier. So I put nailpoish in their hair instead and got new looks that way :D

I always wanted to play with my mom's hair too even though it was only about chin length and put hairties in it. lol

And I just HAD to have the Barbie with ankle length hair. I remember my sister's Barbies would all have tangled/messy hair but my barbie's hair ALWAYS had to be brushed and neat and then put up to keep it from getting knotty. haha

I should have seen the tell tale hair obsessed signs!

starlights
November 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I've always wanted long long hair since i was six. Unfortunately mum kept cutting my hair short and she never had the time to take proper care of it. I've got school pics of me as a kid with those nasty elastic bands, GRRR lol
As i grew into a teenager i bleached my hair -causing it to dry and be damaged.
Since last year i VOWED i will have long natural hair, thank goodness im getting there SLOWLY !!!

gotzbrainz
November 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I AM OBSESSED i am i am!!! i want long blonde beautifully strong shiny hair, not happening tho. i have every product in the book, besides pantene.

liagibba
November 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I have not always been hair obsessed. My parents kept my hair very short when I was younger and I had no say in what happened to it until I was 16. It was at that point that I told my Mom she wasn't allowed to cut it or perm it and that I wanted to grow it longer. I think she really started approving of this once I learned how to french braid my own hair. She always loved that and to this day always compliments me on it when I do. I think I started really getting into my hair when I was in college. Up until my junior year I didn't really use conditioner and when I started it was like a light was turned on in my head. I started getting into more natural stuff for my hair (and body) about 5 years ago. I wonder if I'll always be this obsessed.... It's been quite a journey. :)

<3OnHerSleeve
November 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I got obsessed with my curls as my hair started getting frizzy/wavy and darker once I was 7. So I stopped brushing it to retain the curls until it was cut when I was 9-10, but had to watch in dismay as my hair darkened when it had once been a lovely light golden blonde. That's what partly inspired constantly dying it once I was 14 till this year when I started wanting to grow out my dye but constantly doing "touch up" temporaries and permanents that were similar to my natural colour. But then I realized nothing is that close to my natural and I should stop trying. I've also started benign neglect. and it's about time. I have been hair obsessed especially after my hair was shaved when I was 12. That's when the need to grow it long began. hasn't stopped :P

kschr2004
November 6th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I don't think I was that hair obsessed until I found LHC. Before that I had been growing my hair via benign neglect. It was already pretty long before I joined LHC.

I also go in phases. When my hair was SL for about a year after I cut it, I really didn't post that much on LHC or think that much about my hair. Now that I am trying to grow it long again, I have hit a whole new level of hair obsession!

JulietCapulet
November 7th, 2010, 01:35 AM
No. Not at all.

Coan-Teen
November 7th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I have a wavering hair obsession, by which I mean I go back and forth between wanting long hair really badly and wanting to cut my hair really badly. I am a creature of extremes. I know when I was younger I was obsessed with short hair because I wasn't allowed to cut it. Now that I've spent a good decade cutting it, I want to grow it long again. :) I guess I've always been hair obsessed in one direction or another.

lilravendark
November 7th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I had very long hair when I was a kid, but to me it was just hair.
Never really was hair obsessed until I found this place.
I second that to me hair was just hair when I was a kid I don't think I was hair obsessed, though I did have longer than classic hair when I was about 5. My mum took me to the hairdressers to get it cut to around bsl and the hairdresser didn't want to do it! She did it in the end regretfully lol but I was young and didnt get what all the fuss was about I was pretty happy with the haircut. Now I'm just growing and not planning to cut ever again so we'll see how that goes :D

Jules diamond
November 7th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Not always. I didn't really care about my hair one way or another until 8th grade when I was 12. That's the year I decided to start growing it.

mrs_coffee
November 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I've always been obsessed with other people's hair. Maybe because my mom made me keep mine short? But I had friends with long hair and I learned to braid and fishtail and you name it because I thought it was so cool.

I've never really cared about my own hair. I grew APL hair for my wedding and then went in a couple of days after and had it chopped into a pixie. It never fazed me. My attitude with my hair has always been, "It'll grow back." :)

Sunsailing
November 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Yes.

Looking back, I don't really know how/why.

BeatlesFanGirl
November 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
No, I've been a long hair obsessed since my age 16, when I started to grow it long. I had both short and long before that but was not obsessed.

Monkie
November 7th, 2010, 09:19 AM
When my bff and I were about 6 or 7, we decided that we were going to be princess when we grow up, and long hair is de rigueur for princesses, so we had a pact to never cut our hair.
That lasted til I was about 14, when right before school started again, I chopped it in to a shoulder length bob. I managed to forget about my hair for all 4 years of high school, but then in college, began to dye it obsessively. My boss thinks I obsess about my hair, but I disagree, I think that once my hair reaches at least APL, I will start to relax a little about it.

growing2shine
November 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Yes. I have always been obsessed with long hair. When I was about six I had a rapunzel barbie which I loved. I played with her hair, never the barbie as a doll. :)
And when I was about same age I wanted rapunzel hair to the floor. :D

squiggyflop
November 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
um no i wasnt hair obsessed.. as a kid i didnt comb my hair (no one ever showed me how or made sure i looked ok or even that i bathed or wore clean clothes.. i didnt know until middle school that it wasnt normal to wear the same outfit for 5 days in a row) so i would go to school with giant 3 inch thick mattes.. then as a teen (changed my clothes regularly by then) i decided to dye my hair all sorts of colors.. pink, blue, yellow, fire engine red.. you know.. because i was into anime and all my favorite anime characters had those colors.. i was a geeky goth what can i say? even then i wasnt obsessed.. um i cut my own hair and i always wore it wash and go.. so nothing special..

then my hair caught fire in the front.. so i stopped dying my hair (it was so dry from all the full head bleachings that just a spark could make it all go *POOF* burned up).. so my pink faded out to this horrible orangy pink shade with grayish bits underneath where the old blue had been..

so i stumbled simultaneously upon cinnamonhair's website and henna for hair while looking for ways to grow out my haircolor.. and somehow those sites led to LHC..

and then i was a bit obsessed with trying henna.. i thought it would turn my nasty bleach hair back to this color :
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/IM000030crop-1.jpg
um that is my natural color and the only photo evidence of it in existence..

um its pretty obvious that i didnt get my natural color back with henna

and then i got REALLY obsessed because some vitamins i was taking to speed up my growth were giving me 2-3 inches a month.. that pretty much sealed the deal with me growing my hair out..

see_turtle
November 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I think I've always been fairly focused on my hair...As a young child I had between shoulder and arm pit length hair. I remember crying daily as my mother yanked a comb through it to put it in pigtails. I remember learning to put it in a ponytail on my own and when I figured out how to bun it.
As a teen my friends and I would dip our heads in a pool then spray our hair with tonsss of sun-in and sit in the sun for hours. To get "highlights".
Since finding LHC I've had an easier time getting my hair to do what I want because I've stopped fighting with it. I've never had it longer than arm pit length so from here on is uncharted territory.

jujube
November 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I've always been hair-obsessed, though not in the same way many of you are. I was obsessed with trying everything with my hair. I had my first dye at 11, and by the time I was 19, I'd had green hair, waist-length hair, a punky layered cut, the 80's backcombed style, the BSL dreadlocks, a 50's Marilyn cut, and a buzz cut.

Now I'm finally trying to let my hair naturally grow and I'm loving it.

SeaPhoenix
November 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Always hair obsessed... was actually thinking about this today, and then I found this thread. I can pinpoint the exact moment the obsession kicked in, too.
I was in first grade - or, to be specific, about a few days out from starting first grade. My mom said "Honey, how would you like a pixie haircut?"
"What's a pixie haircut?"
"Pixies are fairies, sweetie."
"Fairies?!" *squeal of excitement* (keep in mind I was picturing Lady Lovelylocks and her pixie-tail friends that as toys were long extensions to add in... so i had an image of pretty/princess like hair)
So mom goes to town, and my shoulder length page cut is now a pixie cut. I cry. I get over it. And then school starts. Every single kid thinks I'm a boy. I actually got dared by the kids to wear a dress just to prove I was a girl.
And from that moment on, I became absolutely hair obsessed. It wasn't until I was 28 that I ever dared going shorter than a bob hair cut. lol.
(and currently thinking of going short again.. have been considering it for several months now - but this time not to grow out my natural hair color... but just to go short for the sake of going short... an exercise in trying to control my hair obsession, I think - put the focus on something else for once).

May
November 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Yes, ever since I could play with my toys hair (my little pony, barbie etc). :D

BeachBabe91
November 20th, 2010, 09:05 AM
YES! I have! lol, I used to always make sure my mom did my hair perfectly being going to school. I would explain to her, "okay mom, do my hair... no bumps", while she would put my hair half up, or in a ponytail. If it was not completely smooth and perfect, I would refuse to go to school. My hair used to be waist length back then.

CarpeDM
November 20th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I think I have always been hair obsessed, but my hair obsession has been more in the way of cutting hair. When I begged my mom for bangs at age nine, she said no. Well I really wanted bangs so I snuck into the bathroom one early morning when no one was awake yet with some scissors and decided hey if I can't get someone to cut bangs for me, I will create them myself :). Is it any wonder I've had short hair for most of my life? What is it about cutting hair that can be so fun? The challenge for me is GROWING hair and not cutting it. Luckily I have managed to turn my obsession into accumulating mass quantities of hair toys :)

DorothyAtForty
November 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Yes! My mom's side of the family always kept long hair, and I was always so enamored and wished my hair to grow. I've always gone back and forth from chin length to waist length, though. Chin length at age 4, waist length by 7, then chin length, waist length at 11, chin length at 12, waist length at 15, chin length at 16, BSL at 20, this stayed for a while, chin length at 27, BSL at 29 and here we are. The bad thing about me from late teens through 20's is that when I got frustrated with anything, I'd take to my hair with scissors. My grandmother was sick with cancer and I chopped it off at 27, right before she passed. Well, that frustration cutting (bad habit) transformed into S&D'ing now, lol.

lhangel9
November 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Yes! I have ALWAYS been long-hair obsessed. It's not until the last several years that I've actually did something useful about it.

freckles
November 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
nope, I was never hair obsessed. I have never maintained a hairstyle since I was a young child, just gotten a haircut and then ignored it and realised my hair was long again and gone to get another haircut. When I realised I didn't have a bob any more, I had BSL length hair, I considered chopping again but then I decided to grow. Then I found LHC and the hair obsession began :)

CastaDiva
November 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
I have always loved long hair, and maybe a bit obsessed with it over the last few years. When I was child I was not allowed by my parents to have long hair beceause it was easier to maintain a shorter haircut. My mother used to take me to a barber`s shop and I was given a horrible, awful haircut. I looked like a boy and was mistaken for one several times. I just hated it:mad Somtimes I took a large towel and put it over my head, stood in front of a mirror and pretended it was long hair. When I got older and could decide for myself, I began to grow out my hair. Now I just LOVE having long hair. I decided years ago that I would never have short hair again. But maybe I will cut it back some when I get older, but I don`t think I will go really short again. My long hair has become a part of who I am:)

Ludde
November 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Very much not so. It all changed when the hair started to knot.

Speckla
November 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Always. Before it was hated-filled obsession that led me to keep cutting it off or straighten. Now it's love-filled to find better ways to grow and have healthy, bouncy curls.

looniac
November 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
When I was a kid, no, but once I got to the teenage "self-image aware" stage, having very curly hair sort of made it impossible for me not to be hair obsessed. Figuring out how to work with my hair was a long process and now I get to sit back and enjoy the fruits of those trying teenage days... while waiting for my pixie to grow out. Oh emotional chops, why can't those urges just go away?

Heartwillfollow
November 25th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I've never been obessed with having long hair. I 've never met a person with long hair that I didn't find beautiful. Just never thought I would look right with long hair or I could keep up with it. Right now it's more of a curiosity of what it would be like to grow it long.. :)

mali
November 25th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I was hair obssesed since 6th grade.In the fifth grade my hair looked horrible so I decided to look after my hair better.My dad always tells me I am hair obssesed.Up until I was 11 I had TBL hair.It was great.Then I cut it into a bob.BIGGY MISTAKE.

ravenlily
November 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
When I was fifteen I started to cut my own hair, then I found haircolor and then it all went crazy... I´ve had every existing haircolor and most haircuts, but now decided I´m going to take care of my hair insted of changing it completly all the time! So definitely obsessed by hair, but now in a, for my hair, healthier way!;)

chelseamichelle
November 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Nope, I wasn't hair obsessed at all. Until I cut off my long hair as a teen. Not having it anymore and seeing other people with it made me realize how much I loved it.

KellyC
November 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I was not, I rarely did anything to my hair untill I got into highschool. That is when I started wanting long hair and decided to care for it better.