PDA

View Full Version : dimethicone

Rosepatrice
February 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hello folks. Just wondering...is dimethicone a toxic chemical. or is it ok to use? Thanks alot TTFN,
Rosepattrice:cheese:

arabidbutterfly
February 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I don't think its necessarily toxic, it is a personal choice that some people do not use it because of how it interacts with hair.
I personally have stopped using products with that ingredient, and my hair feels cleaner and healthier because it has less build-up.
I'm sure you will receive better answers from someone who has been researching it longer.

amiaow
February 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Many of us use it without a problem- its main function is to thinly coat your hair, making it nice and smooth and easy to detangle :)

SimplyLonghair
February 25th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The main problem with dimethicones are that they coat the hair and don't allow moisture to get in as well as out. So you need to clarify to remove them and moisturize and then use again, if your hair likes them. Some hair loves them other hair hates them. You just have to experiment!:p

MadPirateBippy
February 25th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The good- it coats your hair, making it look shinier and can make it easier to detangle.

The bad- it coats your hair, leads to build up, can leave it dull and feeling plasticky. Some peoples hair HATE IT. It's cheap and in most shampoo. I've known some people who had it coat their hair until the hair fell out.

If your hair is dull, heavy, shedding too much, etc- try clarifying (use a clarifying shampoo or a baking soda wash). Try doing that and then going a month without cones, to see if you have any major improvements with your hair.

I can use them occasionally and it will make my hair shiny and brittle for a day or two, before everything goes to hell.

Rosepatrice
February 26th, 2009, 07:55 AM
thnks for the replys. It's in my lotion so I don't know if I want to use it. The werid thing is, is that this lotion is a higher end organic, pure lotion, or so they say..hum. I wonder why they have to put that stuff in everything! thnks love rose

Curlsgirl
February 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I can use them occasionally and it will make my hair shiny and brittle for a day or two, before everything goes to hell.

^^^^^^
This is me, but not brittle, just soft and shiny then goes downhill.

plainjanegirl
February 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
^^^^^^
This is me, but not brittle, just soft and shiny then goes downhill.

Didn't you use dove last year, it has cones right? So I guess it doesn't work for you either. I am still trying to find the right mix for my hair.

twilight
February 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
dimethicone is a manufactured chemical, so i am quite sure it cannot legally be labeled as "organic" in the sense that most of mean when we say it (however i think most finished products can be as long as they contain 70% organic ingredients, depending on whether the law has changed recently).

according to wiki:

Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) is the most widely used silicon-based organic polymer, and is particularly known for its unusual rheological (or flow) properties. Its applications range from contact lenses and medical devices to elastomers, in shampoos (as dimethicone makes hair shiny and slippery), caulking, lubricating oils and heat resistant tiles.

PDMS is optically clear, and is generally considered to be inert, non-toxic and non-flammable. It is occasionally called dimethicone and is one of several types of silicone oil (polymerized siloxane).

so, non-toxic. :)

Auryn
February 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Over the course of the last 3 months and various experiments, I've learned that my hair loves -cones. My curls feel softer, my hair isn't a frizzy and my hair in general looks better than when I was using non coney conditioners.

I think it's ok to use dimethicone, and I've noticed it shows up in a lot of other things, such as hand lotion and skin cleansers.

mira-chan
February 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM
thnks for the replys. It's in my lotion so I don't know if I want to use it. The werid thing is, is that this lotion is a higher end organic, pure lotion, or so they say..hum. I wonder why they have to put that stuff in everything! thnks love rose

It a good lubricator, protector for people who are allergic or sensitive to natural oils. This is why most hypoallergenic products have it.

If you don't have any reaction to it and the products work well for you then it shouldn't be a problem.

My annoyance is that it's in just about everything, and it makes me itch badly. :mad:

Rosepatrice
February 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hi thanks all i decided to return it and get cone free chemical free. after I tried it I itched and felt generally uncomfortable with it. thanks love rose:cheese:

take care