PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? A new bun style?

Coriander
February 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2409&pictureid=32775

So I was challenged to do a braided woven bun. I ended up cursing and getting frustrated after trying to get the style correct eight different times.

So I took two braids at a time and looped them over the top of the "X" first, then under the bottom of the "X" and so forth. I then took the two other braids and looped them the opposite way. (I think.) It looks like I crossed the braids over the middle at least once.

I'll have to try this again to get specific instructions, but wonder if this is already a style? (Thanks to SimplyLonghair for suggesting this might be a new one :) )

sneakybea
February 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I don't know if it's new, but it's gorgeous!

SimplyLonghair
February 25th, 2009, 11:10 PM
If it is a new style do I get to name it?:p:o:D
After all I did challenge you so you could say it is all my fault! LOL :rollin:

Heidi_234
February 26th, 2009, 12:54 AM
It's a pretzel bun!

SimplyLonghair
February 26th, 2009, 01:39 AM
It's a pretzel bun!
It does look similar but not quite the same. This is woven around the 2 sticks not sticks added into a bun. This is the pretzel bun. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46398&highlight=pretzel+bun)

Heidi_234
February 26th, 2009, 02:16 AM
It does look similar but not quite the same. This is woven around the 2 sticks not sticks added into a bun. This is the pretzel bun. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46398&highlight=pretzel+bun)
Ha! Nice, I didn't knew a pretzel bun existed already. I just thought it resembled a pretzel. :o:p

Carolyn
February 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Cool bun! Did you make a ponytail and separate it into 4 braid sections?

lora410
February 26th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Oh its beautiful!!!! Tutorial please!!!!

Radulfr
February 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM
It's new - a pretzel-braid bun.
The other pretzel doesn't have a braid in it.

Pixna
February 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Love it, Coriander! Your bun is gorgeous. It DOES look like a braided pretzel.

kdaniels8811
February 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Come on, hair, grow! long enough so I can do this. It is simply gorgeous! I absolutely love it! Braided pretzel bun.... Going in my stash of hairstyles to try when my hair gets long enough....

Coriander
February 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Cool bun! Did you make a ponytail and separate it into 4 braid sections?

Yes, I did. I'm going in the bathroom right now to try this again, then I can write a tutorial.

SimplyLonghair, it seems we might have a name (braided pretzel) but let's see what happens when I try this one again :laugh: maybe it will look totally different. Back in a flash!

Wow, who would have thought a total screw-up on a challenge would elicit such results? :D Thanks all! :flower:

Coriander
February 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't you know - I can't figure out how I did it the first time :rollin:

I'm going to give my arms a break and try again in a few minutes.

viking_quest
February 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
That is gorgeous.

JamieLeigh
February 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Oh, that's awesome!! It looks so intricate and pretty!

And it looks like the forum named it for you! ;)

SimplyLonghair
February 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Okay I think that a braided pretzel is a great name, based on what the other instructions were I am going to see if I can figure out what you might have been doing too. :D

It is very nice!:cheese:

SimplyLonghair
February 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I am not sure that this is the same or not, I twisted my DD arm to let me do this so ignore that she had oiled her hair prewashing:p
And the computer clutter too.
So not as much volume but I think it is at least close.:D
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/DSC_0010-1.jpg

Coriander
February 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hey, wow, that's pretty close :D

Please tell me how you did that so I can try again. I've seriously been doing this for the past hour and can't figure myself out :laugh:

ETA: Please also thank your DD for helping :) She has lovely lovely hair.

SimplyLonghair
February 26th, 2009, 07:59 PM
First put hair in elastic, divided into two sections then braid hair in each section. Then put the hairsticks behind the elastic at a 90degree angle.

That gives you something like this

A C

B D

Then you start by taking the first braid under A and under B
Then up to C and go under and then under D
On the second pass I looped under A B D C creating the bottom of the pretzel. Then I did the same in reverse starting with C and D etc. If that makes sense.

herbgurl82
February 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Very pretty. :) I will have to try this tomorrow. (MY hair is already oiled, and up in its sleep braid, or I would do it now...)