PDA

View Full Version : Hairtype help? (big picture!)

patissegrietje
February 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Another newbie here that needs help with determining her hair type.
In katze's thread about having different types of hair on the head i suddenly got the idea that maybe i fall in the wavy category.
I have really coarse, wiry, frizzy and unruly hair at the crown of my head, and fine hair underneath.
I used to think all my hair was the same, and that my crown hair was damaged because it behaves very differently from the rest.
Anyway, thanks to Katze's thread i'm suddenly more aware of the fact that i might have been perceiving things wrong, and that i'm maybe treating my hair wrong.
(it's always puffy and fluffy)

I took a picture of my hair after an SMT.
I combed it in the shower (with the conditioner still in it) but didn't touch it afterwards.
I air dried and took this picture:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/ouwekrakkemik/hairtyping.jpg

The halo of frizz around my head are probably baby hairs, they always show up in humid weather too. (i used to think they were damaged hairs that had broken :rolleyes:)

What hair type do you al think this is? Thanks in advance :D

Coriander
February 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I don't have any idea but I just wanted to say your hair is gorgeous! :)

patissegrietje
February 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM
:flower: That's a really nice compliment from someone with gorgeous hair!
I tend to think my hair is really messy though, but i hope to fix things a bit being on the boards (and having a good time whilst to it!)

:confused: forgive me for my improper english, LOL should have paid better attention at school

neon-dream
February 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'd say you were around a 1C ish maybe 2A.
Your hair colour is almost identical to mine! Is it natural?

HairColoredHair
February 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'd say you're 1c with 2A leanings... treated right you might get more waves...

Atalaya05
February 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous!
The texture is a lot like mine based on the picture, and I had trouble figuring out what my hairtype was as well. I originally thought 1c, but I think that's a little straighter than what you have..in my highly inexpert opinion. So maybe 2A? The ends definitely have some defined waves!

patissegrietje
February 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I'd say you were around a 1C ish maybe 2A.
Your hair colour is almost identical to mine! Is it natural?
Thanks for the hair type help!
and yes, the colour is natural although i'm afraid i have to admit always looks brighter on photo's

I'd say you're 1c with 2A leanings... treated right you might get more waves...
Thanks! i'll be searching for other 1c's then... i always thought my hair was non-behaving-extremely damaged straight hair. Didn't know what the damage was from though, since i don't colour, never blowdry, sleep on silk pillowcases and never wear it down.
More waves (or less messy ones) would be great!

patissegrietje
February 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous!
The texture is a lot like mine based on the picture, and I had trouble figuring out what my hairtype was as well. I originally thought 1c, but I think that's a little straighter than what you have..in my highly inexpert opinion. So maybe 2A? The ends definitely have some defined waves!

Thanks Atalaya! Do you know how to treat hair to define the waves?

Would be a nice thread; the thread for people who just found out their hair isn't straight :lol:

I'll go on a new journey to find out how to treat my hair, Jay!!!

patissegrietje
February 25th, 2009, 05:17 PM
changed my profile; hair type is now 1c :)
Thanks everybody!

Atalaya05
February 25th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I wish I knew how to bring out the waves consistently myself! I think my hair has multiple personality disorder or something. It starts off wavy in the morning and gets straighter and straighter as the day goes on. It's also wavier or straighter depending on the length...I definitely had straight hair when it was shoulder-length!

Hmm, you could try braiding your hair while it's damp. I think that works best for me so far, and since I'm updo-challenged it's one of my few styling options LOL

Elphie
February 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I'd agree with 1C. Fabulous color, too!

Damp bunning produces nicer and more defined waves for me. I actually get nicer results with a half-up than bunning all my hair for some reason. Haven't figured that one out yet!

patissegrietje
February 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I'd agree with 1C. Fabulous color, too!

Damp bunning produces nicer and more defined waves for me. I actually get nicer results with a half-up than bunning all my hair for some reason. Haven't figured that one out yet!
Thanks! :flower: Unfortunately the colour is less bright than it appears to be in the picture. I'll try the damp bunning tip!

This is my hair the way it looked this afternoon, it got wet in the rain and air dried as well; very sloppy picture
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/ouwekrakkemik/haartypenr2.jpg

OhioLisa
February 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm going to disagree with 1C. I am voting 2A if not 2B at least. Gorgeous hair! :flowers:

SpecialKitty
February 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I second OhioLisa's 2a - I am 2a/2b and your hair is a lot like mine.

Arctic
February 25th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I too think it's more wavy than 1c, maybe 2a/2b.

melrose1985
February 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
you have suck pretty hair, love the color.

canary4624
February 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Pretty! :)

I think your type is similar to mine, too. Definitely try letting it dry in a french braid or a rope braid. Or, if that takes too long, let it get 75% dry and then french braid or rope braid it. I like to wrap the tassel in a small sponge roller to avoid the wavy hair / flat ends phenomenon.

Tangles
February 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Solid 2A. 2a/2b, like mine, would be wavier in the middle portion IMO.

patissegrietje
February 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I'm going to disagree with 1C. I am voting 2A if not 2B at least. Gorgeous hair! :flowers:

I second OhioLisa's 2a - I am 2a/2b and your hair is a lot like mine.

I too think it's more wavy than 1c, maybe 2a/2b.

Thanks all! :flowers: I checked out the hairtyping article again (the visual hairtyping) and i definitely don't think my hair would fit in the 2b category.
Maybe 1c/2a then :)

you have suck pretty hair, love the color.

:blossom: :)

Pretty! :)

I think your type is similar to mine, too. Definitely try letting it dry in a french braid or a rope braid. Or, if that takes too long, let it get 75% dry and then french braid or rope braid it. I like to wrap the tassel in a small sponge roller to avoid the wavy hair / flat ends phenomenon.

I have to practice on the braids, i only know how to do the easiest one. But a rope braid doesn't sound too difficult so i'm definitely going to try that!
The sponge roller sounds good too, i've always wondered why my ends were sticking out strangely :rolleyes:

Solid 2A. 2a/2b, like mine, would be wavier in the middle portion IMO.

I checked out the visual hairtyping article again and i think you are absolutely right about me not being a 2b :wink:

Thanks again everybody for all the help!
I can now start to think about changing my routine and hopefully finally be really happy with my hair.

I can't thank everybody enough for sharing all their hair secrets,
there is so much knowledge here! I hope to be able to help other people someday too :D

Feye
February 26th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Hi! I'm 1c and what you write about your hair really describes mine too. Poofy big hair, but kind of straight, with a halo of curly-ish shorter hairs around my crown.
My hairs are of a medium type of strand thickness, and when I scrunch it I get some defined waves (which disappear again if I comb it too much or put it up)

Edited to add: try to scrunch it when wet and see if you get more waves? Then you might be a 2a, who knows

patissegrietje
February 26th, 2009, 02:02 AM
:) Heeey Feye! I use your self trim method, it's brilliant and i finally get the hang of it :wink:

And what you describe really does sound like my hair! i'll stick with 1c for a while and see what happens if i start treating it differently than stick straight hair.

Katze
February 26th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I think you're wavier than 1c...I would say 2a or 2b. Your hair isn't mostly straight with some waves - it's overall lightly wavy, from what I can see.

My hair is a bit straighter than yours but I have spiral curls on the ends and underneath, so I am calling myself 1c/2a. But mine, like yours, changes all the time.

All kinds of moisture treatments, finger combing, leave-ins, etc would be good for your hair. There are a LOT of ways to encourage wave and discourage frizz - you just need to find what works for you.

Oh and by the way your hair is beautiful! :D

twilight_faerie
February 26th, 2009, 03:06 AM
In my opinion, there's no way that's 1c. I'd say 2b is most likely...2a at the least.

BTW, your hair color is gorgeous!

patissegrietje
February 26th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I think you're wavier than 1c...I would say 2a or 2b. Your hair isn't mostly straight with some waves - it's overall lightly wavy, from what I can see.

My hair is a bit straighter than yours but I have spiral curls on the ends and underneath, so I am calling myself 1c/2a. But mine, like yours, changes all the time.

All kinds of moisture treatments, finger combing, leave-ins, etc would be good for your hair. There are a LOT of ways to encourage wave and discourage frizz - you just need to find what works for you.

Oh and by the way your hair is beautiful! :D

Thanks Katze!:bowtome: It is your thread about 2 hairtypes on 1 head that actually made me realize that maybe there was nothing 'wrong' with my hair.
I used to keep it mainly short/shortish in my 20's because i always thought it was really damaged.
But... i compared it to the silky smooth tresses of my 1a friends :wacko:

In my opinion, there's no way that's 1c. I'd say 2b is most likely...2a at the least.

BTW, your hair color is gorgeous!

Thank you Twilight faerie! :flowers:

tiny_teesha
February 26th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I'd say 2a/2b because the ends definitely wurl! But the waves aren't tight enough for 2c. You hair is like mine, C on top M/F on bottom!

patissegrietje
February 26th, 2009, 03:31 AM
:) *the camels go visit tiny teesha's profile again to find out what her routine is* :lol:
Thanks!

Katze
February 26th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks Katze!:bowtome: It is your thread about 2 hairtypes on 1 head that actually made me realize that maybe there was nothing 'wrong' with my hair.
I used to keep it mainly short/shortish in my 20's because i always thought it was really damaged.
But... i compared it to the silky smooth tresses of my 1a friends :wacko:

Thank you Twilight faerie! :flowers:

yay, I am so glad I could help! :cheese:

I always thought there was something wrong with my hair, too, because it doesn't "behave" like "normal" (my mother and sister's) hair. It was straight when I was a kid, but flyaway and fine, and in my teens it went "weird." I would blowdry and curling-iron and pull it straight, and it always "flipped out" and was frizzy.

I started that thread to hopefully help some newbies with this hair issue, or people worried about why their hair is like that, to gather ideas and advice - so glad I could help! :cheese: <--love this guy!

natt i nord
February 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I'd stay with 1c, maybe with leanings to 2a.

Your hair looks great, btw :)

Anje
February 26th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Yours looks a lot like mine, but I don't get spiral curls at the ends when it gets wet. So I'd put you at a solid 2a. Oh, and that halo of frizz is a classic 2a phenomenon.

Here's my hairtyping shot, for comparison. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=23175)

patissegrietje
February 26th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Yours looks a lot like mine, but I don't get spiral curls at the ends when it gets wet. So I'd put you at a solid 2a. Oh, and that halo of frizz is a classic 2a phenomenon.

Here's my hairtyping shot, for comparison. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=23175)

That halo of frizz makes me want to :magic: sometimes!
It's wspecially bad if you go out for an important meeting in a sleak, neat looking updo (ehhh well, the best i can do isn't THAT neat) and than it turns out to be humid outside and the baby hairs al just frizz up like that :eek:

Love your hairtyping shot by the way! beautiful shine and colour!

:grouphug: thanks everybody!

Anje
February 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
That halo of frizz makes me want to :magic: sometimes!
It's wspecially bad if you go out for an important meeting in a sleak, neat looking updo (ehhh well, the best i can do isn't THAT neat) and than it turns out to be humid outside and the baby hairs al just frizz up like that :eek:

Love your hairtyping shot by the way! beautiful shine and colour!

:grouphug: thanks everybody!

Oily hair (especially a few days past washing) helps keep the frizz down for me, though the trade-off is scalp cleavage, and I usually prefer the frizz.

Thanks. Blame henna and the flash for a lot of the shine and color.

Feye
February 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM
:) Heeey Feye! I use your self trim method, it's brilliant and i finally get the hang of it :wink:

And what you describe really does sound like my hair! i'll stick with 1c for a while and see what happens if i start treating it differently than stick straight hair.

Hey, that's great! I'm glad it works for you.

Oh, and I forgot to write it before, but your hair is beautiful! I love the color too