PDA

View Full Version : iii's who <3 ficcares?

Roseate
February 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
So, I am considering taking a LHC-influenced plunge and ordering a ficcare. (Golden Pearl with a silver border, or red brite lotus? That's question #2!:p)

I'm made a little nervous by the ficcare website, though: on this chart (http://www.ficcare.com/CustomerService.aspx), the largest tail circumference they even mention is 3.5"! Not 3.5" and up, just 3.5". It got me to thinking about threads I've seen here, and searching around. I don't seem to find many iii-type folks who love their ficcares.

So iii's, prove me wrong! Do you :heartbeat your ficcare? Can it stand up to our heavy hairtype even at longer lengths? I'm not even APL now, so I'm sure it would work for the moment, but I don't want to drop 40$ on a toy that will wimp out at BSL.

Isilme
February 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I'm right smack on the border between ii and iii and I use my large ficcares and I love them! They are great in figure eights, good for a french twist and a cinnamon bun.

SHELIAANN1969
February 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I used to adore the Maximas, but the longer my hair got, the more trouble I had with snagging.

I still have some *beak* Innovations, and have no problems with pulling hair, but I got rid of all the Maximas that I had.

Some folks can use them and some can't. Good luck and have fun with your new obsession! :D

Euphony
February 25th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Well ummmm hmmmm - I do like it, it was worth the investment for me, but I only own 2 and don't see owning more, I may even get rid of one on the swap board at some point, just don't know yet.

My circumference is 4.6" it holds my hair comfy if I can get it to hold it without spitting hair all over the place and trying to shoot across the room. The longer my hair has gotten the more I have to relearn how to use the Ficcare, I cannot have it hold a bun on the outside anymore, I have to have it pierced, and that piercing is having to get further and further from the outside of the bun. BUT I've noticed I have pretty weird hair, for some reason I have very little taper compared to most people even with my layers.

tinabcurly
February 25th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'm a iii & love my Ficcares! Although, if I didn't have layers from shoulderblade down, I don't think they would would work.

I have 2 lg Maximas & 2 lg & 1 med Ficcarissimos. I wear them using the bottom part like a hairstick in most buns and just clamp a cheater's figure 8 at the top loop. I know I'm in the minority here but, I think Ficcarissimos hold more/better than the Maximas.

kwaniesiam
February 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Well, my hair is thin and puny, and also doesn't like ficcares but they mention diameter rather than pony circumference so that might help some of your issues :flowers:

joyfulmom4
February 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM
My ponytail is something like 4-4.5" and my hair is classic length, with very little taper. I have a hard time using almost any hair accessory. I can make sticks work if I use certain styles that are very secure. Forks are a little better, esp if they have several tines and are very long. Most of the time, I use multiple hairpins in addition to whatever hairtoy I'm using. The exception is the Flexi-8. I can use an XL Flexi-8 alone and it holds pretty well and comfortably.

Ficcares were recommended to me when I was seeking a good hairtoy for really thick, long hair. But to be honest, I have yet to fall in love with them. I have the largest size Maximas and beak style (can't remember the name of that one) and I rarely wear them. They are pretty but don't hold well enough w/o loads of hairpins. They end up being decorative in my hair rather than functional. They also tend to push against my head and give me a headache. I still haven't given up on them b/c I hear so many raves from so many people. I keep thinking I am just not putting them in correctly. But I have a heck of a time fitting the clip over my bun, it won't open wide enough or hold enough of my hair. It wants to slip back off and most of the bun slides loose from its updo from the opposite side.

So that's my less-than-wonderful Ficcare experience. I am not very skilled at updos though, so user error may be at least partly to blame.

snowbear
February 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I find there are some days when I can, and some when I can't. When it's dry and and neatly brushed it's much easier, but I still prefer hairsticks.
My hair is TB, and my ponytail is over 5".

Roseate
February 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Well, my hair is thin and puny, and also doesn't like ficcares but they mention diameter rather than pony circumference so that might help some of your issues :flowers:

You are so right! I'm so used to LHC circumference measuring, I was misreading.

So using my mad math skillz, I find the diameter of my 4+" ponytail is actually only around 1.5". According to them I'm totally good, and according to them a ficcare can hold up to a 8" circ ponytail?!?(2.5" diameter) Reeely? I don't think I've ever seen anyone with hair that thick. Maybe some folks with dreads.

And thanks all for the responses! I think I'm going to go for it. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky iii's who can make it work, and if not, there's always the swap board. I don't usually see ficcare listings gathering any dust!

darkwaves
February 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm a iii and, like many iiis here, I have no problems making these clips work. In fact, I use both the large and medium sizes, depending on the style.

There's a trick to using them. They are not meant to close tightly over your hair, but instead to be wedged open. And they hold a lot of hair.

Good luck.

AprilElf
February 26th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I have two large Maximas, and I really enjoy wearing them. My pony circumference is just over 4" and my hair is just past tailbone.
I wear my Ficcares mainly in a flipped cinnabun, or a rose bun.

akka naeda
February 26th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I have 7 (I think), all large Maxs. My hair's a lot longer than yours, so this may not be aplicable. I went through a period of not being able to wear them for anything other than as decoration on a plait (see my sig), but now my hair's grown a couple of inches more I can use them to hold a plaited log roll. Sometimes I can hold a plaited Fig 8, and sometimes a non-plaited log roll. Nothing else works consistently for me, by that I mean that the updo will need redoing after a couple of hours if the Ficcare is able to hold it at all. I've only kept them on the basis that if I cut my hair back they will definitely be able to hold it in a French twist.

Curlsgirl
February 26th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I don't like them. I used to use them some but I have a tender scalp and they always seem to pull and give me a headache. I am hoping when I can do a logroll I will have better luck. Hope your experience is different. You really just have to try them.