PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Color problems

goodluckcharm
February 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Everyone!

I need some advice and help with my hair color!

I color my hair red and go to a salon to do so. I have naturally blonde hair and the red generally has a hard time staying put.

I got my color re-done on Friday and it looked beautiful. Last night, I decided that an apple cider vinegar rinse would be good for my hair. I had a little bit of dandruff and heard that apple cider vinegar helps with that as well as locks in color and adds shine. "Great," I thought.

I did 1/4 a cup ACV and 3/4 cup water and poured over my hair after doing my normal shampoo/condition routine, and rinsed.

Well, I don't have dandruff anymore. I don't have red hair anymore either. My hair is a wishy-washy blondish kinda sorta reddish color. I pay a lot of money for my red and am pretty upset.

I've heard that the Artec orange marigold shampoo and conditioner will redeposit color and will probably try that tonight. I'm going on a trip to visit my BF tomorrow, so I don't want to try anything too crazy. I can't afford nor do I have time to go back to my stylist.

Any tips? Did I do something wrong with the AVC?

wintersun99
February 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
No advice on maintaining red chemical color, it is notorious for fading quickly. Have you looked into using Henna instead? That is permanent.

kdaniels8811
February 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I am no expert but I use a tablespoon of vinegar to a couple cups of water. Your mix sounds very strong. I know red hair dye fades very fast, so a lot of folks here recommend henna. But you really want to do the research and strand test as it is permanent, as in will NOT wash out, you have to wait for it to grow out if you change your mind on the color. With that said, henna is great for your hair, does not damage it, actually makes it stronger. I am sorry I do not have better advice, other than to greatly reduce the amount of ACV to water ratio. A good place to research henna is www.hennaforhair.com, which sells body quality henna (BQH). Good luck!

goodluckcharm
February 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I expected it had been too strong. I was reading a website that suggested STRAIGHT AVC for dandruff, and I knew that was not right. Sigh. Why did I ever take hair advice off the internet that wasn't LHC?

Anje
February 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I agree -- try diluting the ACV more.

I really don't know anything first-hand about chemical red haircolor, but have also heard that it fades quickly.

If you do consider henna, I think you should seriously consider diluting it with cassia at first, which gives a more coppery color. If you have a specific red you're going for, it might be easy to over-shoot it with straight henna, and the stuff is normally difficult to impossible to remove.

Isilme
February 25th, 2009, 10:58 AM
start to look into henna, it's way more permanent than any "permanent" haircolour out there but it's amazing when you have decided on red and want to stick to it. I have used it since before i came to LHC and I could never had grown my hair this long with all the damage I had without henna. Just keep in mind that if you overlap henna it'll go darker each time.
Until you have time to research henna, use a deposit only schampoo, or even a colour (maybe diluted with conditioner) make sure you use one that's supposed to wash out in 8 washes and contains no peroxide or ammonia.

goodluckcharm
February 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into henna.

I bought Loreal Professionals Colorist Collection Orange Marigold Shampoo (for copper, aurburn and warm brown hair) and conditioner, which are color-deposting and contain no ammonia.
*fingers crossed*

Heidi_234
February 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't blame the ACV rinse (even if it was too strong). I dyed my hair dark red at a salon once, and it washed out completely the next wash.
I second the henna suggestion, if you're into the red already, and committed, then why not to henna.

Susana
February 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I've dyed my hair red before. I loved it. But it does wash out rather quickly :S If I go red again, I am usnig henna. Good luck :)

MadPirateBippy
February 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Henna is amazing stuff. I'm going to join the choir singing it's praises, although it hasn't been on my head in years. Long enough I don't have any henna-tips. :)

manderly
February 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Holy crap that's a lot of vinegar! LOL

Red is notoriously difficult to keep nice. I agree with the others about henna. Hard to see from your avatar, but it appears you have a light orangish-red going on. It looks very attainable with cassia & henna. Check out Nightshade, it looks like your colors are similar :)

twilight_faerie
February 26th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Oh, yeah. I know all about the red fading. I dyed my hair red for years before discovering henna, and let me tell you, it faded so fast and so much I felt like punching my fist through the mirror every time I saw my hair. It really does fade a ton after the first wash...and then a little more after each subsequent wash. Yeah, I'm never going back to that again.

Katze
February 26th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Hairdye always faded on me but not that fast. I think you did overdo it with the vinegar. :)

Although I am not a henna head I can strongly recommend henna for healthy, permanent, non damaging red color. (It does not go with my complexion, otherwise I would henna). www.renaissancehenna.com, www.kenzi.com are some alternative suppliers who are also henna-heads, and www.hennatribe.com also has some great henna information and lists good suppliers.

good luck in getting your red back!