PDA

View Full Version : Poor hemline, possible problems

marla
February 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Since I was a teenager, the back of my hair at the ends always looks terrible. It is never an even hemline, it starts thinning in parts, and some hairs don't grow. Is it possible that there is a part of my scalp, possibly the nape of my neck, that just does not grow as fast as the rest? This is the only part of my hair that will not grow, the remainder does fine. What about applying the monistat to select areas on the scalp to try and even up the hemline? Does anyone else have this problem of certain ares that reach terminal length before other areas? The reason I want to try and fix this is that I end up cutting perfectly good hair so that it evens up with the bad hair that stopped growing.

girlcat36
February 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Yes, my hair grows very unevenly. I have given up regular trims and only do microtrims on the very longest pieces.
Some people, including myself, have used monistat as a 'spot' treatment.
I will never have an even, blunt hemline and I have finally accepted it. And it' okay. :)

squiggyflop
February 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
my underside grows twice as fast as my canopy.. so im always developing layers.. ive sort of accepted that ill never have a good hemline for more than a month..
no idea how to help you but i feel your annoyance

Katze
February 25th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Mine looks like this too. I am just being patient with it and trying to trim the longest bits so that the rest slowly catches up. My hair is just wavy enough that the ends flip and stick out, having no weight of their own, and look terrible unless I douse them in leave-in conditioner.

Slow trims are probably your best bet. I personally would never put antifungal cream on my head, but that's just me - many LHCers love it.

Other than that good diet, staying hydrated, avoiding unnecessary damage to your hair...

MsBubbles
February 25th, 2009, 06:55 AM
What is your hair type and length?

There are all kinds of things you can try to give your hair its best shot and get a more even hemline. My hair is fine and straight, and the only time my hemline ever looks together is if I've combed it and sat motionless (not even daring to breathe) for an LHC photo. I suspect the rest of the time my hair doesn't hang together neatly at the ends.

I'm currently on a maintaining schedule where I have been self-trimming at the same length for 10 months to get rid of the V-shaped taper.

My canopy layers are fried, with lots of layers, so I want to get those slow-growing layers down to the same length as the speedy underside layers so that I know that every time I trim, I'm not leaving damaged layers behind to get even more damaged. Hard to explain. It's annoying to keep chopping off perfectly good growth, but when I think how untidy my hemline would look if I just let it all grow, there's no question.

Do you think your hair is damaged from external influences, such as bleaching, sun damage, wind damage, perms, blow drying or straightening? Or do you think it's damaged from lack of nutrition? In any case, there's a ton of advice here for either scenario.

suicides_eve
February 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM
my hair grows in a sharp v or u shape the middle back always grows faster then the rest of my layers

Darkhorse1
February 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I asked my hair dresser about this. She said that everyone's hair grows uneven. This is due to hair that has broken, so those strands take a while to catch up to the other hairs. This is what causes a 'thinning' look at the ends of really long hair. What I've done is keep up with mini-trims every 2 months. Just a quarter of an inch to a mini trim/evening out. My hair dresser is awesome. She'll neated the ends and trim my fringe for 3 times free, then the 4th time, she charges me. Isn't that awesome? I can't trim my own hair (getting better with my bangs, but not the best) because of it's wave the second it's cut into.

Don't be discouraged. It will fill out. Just manage the ends and you'll start to see a difference.

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I completely understand the irritation behind slower-growing hair vs. the rest of your hair! My fringe took 11 years to grow to 40" because the back and underside of my hair also grows faster than the rest. So I maintained at tailbone for years until it all caught up. I'm probably due for a trim, badly, but I'm sooooo close to a goal length, that I'm letting it grow. And THEN when I get to classic, I will maintain until it all catches up. :)

Sometimes just a half-inch off of the longest area, every other month, makes a HUGE difference in overall appearance, if you're into a blunt hemline. That way, you don't lose all your new growth, if you're going for a lot of length.

Deimos
February 25th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I have the same problem :( My hair is pretty long but it just forms several "v"s instead of going straight. Hair dressers used to make it even but it just seems to grow that way. A well, at least it grows :)

akka naeda
February 25th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I have this too, always have done. It just looks worse the longer it gets, so having uneven ends when it was BSL didn't look as bad as it does now at about knee length to my mind. I trim it every so often when I remember and don't worry about it. That's just how my hair is.

Oh, and just so you know what I'm talking about when I say "trim" - I'm going to have to trim my hair to even the ends up, because I haven't trimmed for 6 months, and it will mean taking off probably 2" of growth on the longest side. I've never even when it was shorter trimmed off less than 1".

marla
February 25th, 2009, 06:45 PM
What is your hair type and length?

Do you think your hair is damaged from external influences, such as bleaching, sun damage, wind damage, perms, blow drying or straightening? Or do you think it's damaged from lack of nutrition? In any case, there's a ton of advice here for either scenario.

My hair is wavy, tending toward frizzy, very fine, and just short of BSL. I haven't used a blowdriver in about 5 years and even before then, rarely. I don't bleach, I do use henna and do spend a lot of time at the beach but my hair has been like this even before doing those last three things. I don't think its genetic because my sister had long beautiful waist-length hair. I think for some reason the lower part of my head in the back by the nape area just doesn't have a lot of follicles because it just never really grows from that area. Perhaps I had a head injury that I forgot about that damaged the follicles? :confused: I've done a lot of research on supplements etc and so far nothing is working.

plainjanegirl
February 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
My hair is wavy, tending toward frizzy, very fine, and just short of BSL. I haven't used a blowdriver in about 5 years and even before then, rarely. I don't bleach, I do use henna and do spend a lot of time at the beach but my hair has been like this even before doing those last three things. I don't think its genetic because my sister had long beautiful waist-length hair. I think for some reason the lower part of my head in the back by the nape area just doesn't have a lot of follicles because it just never really grows from that area. Perhaps I had a head injury that I forgot about that damaged the follicles? :confused: I've done a lot of research on supplements etc and so far nothing is working.

I would try not to worry about it alot ( I know it is hard not to). It can't be any worse than the lack of hair at my nape area ( there are pics in one of my albums). So you are taking vitamins? Have you thought about trying the monistat or mega tek or some kind of growth enhancer specifically in that area? Have you been through alot of stress recently?

marla
February 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I just started the monistat yesterday in the nape area only. I want to see if I can thicken up that spot. I went through a very stressful time about a year ago but my hair should have corrected itself by now.

MadPirateBippy
February 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM
My hemline was always shorter on my right side till I started sleeping on silk pillowcases, then it evened out. You might be surprised what small changes you can make that might help!

Katze
February 26th, 2009, 03:06 AM

What your sister has, genetically, is different from yours. If I went by what my sister's hair was like I would still be trying to force my hair to be straight and untapered and heavy and shiny!

My hair also doesn't grow as well at the nape (see my post about mixed hair types on one head). Extra moisture in that area is helping, but now the coarser, wavier hairs just sit on my neck, poofing out under the finer hairs. I think it will take a while until they grow enough to be able to lay flatter.

Could it be that you are being impatient?

I know that my hair gets better very, very slowly, but it IS getting better and the good care is paying off.

Hopefully the same will be true for you! :flower: