PDA

View Full Version : Fluffy, thick hair problem?

Tweak=]
February 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hiya everyone, I'm kind of new here and was wondering if you could help me and my friend with our hair problem :)

With me, I have thick, curly BSL length hair which is extremely fluffy and flyaway. As such i can feel uncomfortable and self-conscience wearing it down. I do not like even having my bangs down as the weather fluffs and makes my hair frizz.

My friend has extremely thick hair, as in her ponytail circumferance is over 8 inches, and due to the thickness is poofy and big.

We were wondering if you could please give us some suggestions on things that could help improve the condition of our thick hair. Thank you very much :D

We are open to any suggestions be it natural hair product or not.

lora410
February 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Conditioner only washes work well for curlies. I also make a home made leave in for my dd's hair (she is a find haired curly) and spray that in her hair in the mornings. Her curls stay gorgeous all day long. be sure to clairfy your hair though every once in awhile.

Heidi_234
February 24th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Whoa wow 8". That's alot! You sure you measured correctly? In any case, more details (hair type, lengh) would help, because it less about the thinkness and more about the texture IMHO.

I see you're curly. Do you brush/comb your hair when it's dry? That will definitely destroy the curls and make it fluffy. I find it helpful to air dry it in a bun (or a braid), my hair dries less voluminous that way.

neon-dream
February 24th, 2009, 12:25 PM
My waves poof out and go fluffy if I comb them.
So I second Heidi about the combing.

( Welcome to the boards, by the way! :blossom: )

Tweak=]
February 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thank you all for the replies :) Err...more details...

my hair is meduim hair strand texture it isn't fne but it's more towards the coarse side.

my friend has coarse but smooth hair strands which are pretty much straight.

cocolover
February 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Conditioner works wonders! I use diluted conditioner with a touch of glycerin as a spray/leave-in on non-wash days, I got this tip from someone else on here and it works great. I gently scrunch after spraying and then let my hair be. Also, putting a dime-size amount of conditioner in your hair as a leave-in after washing will help keep curls defined and help them not puff out. Don't ever brush your hair, comb only when wet and then leave your curls alone. For frizz I put a few drops of oil in my palms (coconut, olive, camellia, jojoba, whichever is your fave) and run it over the canopy to tame frizzies. Welcome

3azza
February 24th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I suppose from what you described that your hair is similar to mine. Infact i used to suffer from the frizz and fluff issues. i recommend that you use a conditioner in addition to your usual shampoo, and a leave in conditioner after wards. this will manage to reduce the volume and extra inches from your pony tail. However if you want to keep the volume and control the frizz at the same time, i recommend using a styling gel. I'm using the leave in conditioner but i love thick hair so i will give it up as soon as my hair is long enough.

manderly
February 24th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I used to have huge hair.

Changing a few things have really changed my hair.

1. Stopped brushing
I use a horn comb now and finger comb as well. Brushes + my hair = poof

2. Soap based shampoo bars
Chagrin Valley's very moisturizing poo bars makes my hair happy and soft and clean without drying or over-stripping.

3. Coconut oil
Hooray! My secret weapon against huge poof. A few drops as well as my leave-in conditioner after I wash my hair. Also a drop run over dry hair daily between washes to add shine and cut frizz.

SweetPea88
February 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Like Manderly just suggested, I think coconut oil would help. It would help with moisture and tame down some of the poof. I use it most days to calm down frizzies.

lapushka
February 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Pictures might help. It may not be as bad as you think.

Copasetic
February 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM
What is your current routine? You might be washing too much. I know that can cause fly-aways for me.