PDA

View Full Version : waist maybe?? am I? should I trim?

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM
am i waist yet?? my hands are at waist in the pic... as you can see my ends are curled but are really close... can i call it waist yet?? im standing perfectly straight in the pic but my head usually points slightly downward
also look at my ends... they are thin because of layers... i want to eventually trim them off but i wanted to wait until it was really neccisary to keep it looking good... so am i waist and do you think the time is right to trim???...
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/lengthmarch30th2008small.jpg
this was taken today... the ends curl alot... like really stretched out spirals

spidermom
March 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I am pretty sure that I would trim to thicken up those ends, but only 1/2 inch (plus/minus) every 3 months or so as long as they're in good shape. I can't tell from the picture, of course. What do you think?

Alley Cat
March 30th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Looks like waist to me. :thumbsup:
Your hair is beautiful squiggyflop :inlove:
As for the trim that's up to you , if you trim now it won't be waist anymore will it , if you wait a bit longer till it's past waist then trim it would still be waist. :)

Carolyn
March 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Why not enjoy the fact that you got to waistlength and trim a half inch in a month or two? I don't think your ends look bad at all. Congrats on reaching waist!

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I am pretty sure that I would trim to thicken up those ends, but only 1/2 inch (plus/minus) every 3 months or so as long as they're in good shape. I can't tell from the picture, of course. What do you think?
hmmm half an inch sounds good... yes i do want to thicken up the ends... but the others seem to think i should wait a month.. ive been wanting to trim since february started.. i last trimmed in early september i think

Looks like waist to me. :thumbsup:
Your hair is beautiful squiggyflop :inlove:
As for the trim that's up to you , if you trim now it won't be waist anymore will it , if you wait a bit longer till it's past waist then trim it would still be waist. :)
ahh so it is waist... its been waist while wet for a while now im glad to know that its waist dry now... hmmm you are right i have waited all this time for it to reach waist, it would be a shame to lose some of it... but look at those thin ends... grr it still has layers from the awful haircut i started growing from...
to see the uglyness of that haircut see my journey album

Why not enjoy the fact that you got to waistlength and trim a half inch in a month or two? I don't think your ends look bad at all. Congrats on reaching waist!
so you think i should wait until the end of april or may to trim... hmmm i hope april goes by as fast as march...so you dont think the ends look very thin??

prosperina
March 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I know how you feel...it's waist but....the ends are thin. I'd trim a teeny amount then wait a while and trim either again a teeny bit or trim a half inch or so.

ChloeDharma
March 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I'd first off decide what's more important to you, waistlength, or loosing the layers. Personally i think that your hair looks lovely and wouldn't trim yet. I'd let it grow another half an inch or so then trim so that you can keep your hair at or past waistlength. But if they are really bothering you and you desperately want to get rid of the layers then if you trim no more than half an inch then you'll be back to waist in a month or so anyway which isn't really very long to wait.

Hmmnnn i'm not much help am i! Ok, personally i rekon wait a bit longer.....but ultimately it's you who has to be happy with your hair.

yogachic
March 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Looks like waist to me, and I cannot believe the growth you've had since august of last year, Amazing. Do you grow an inch a month?

sweetkandi
March 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM
It does look like waist. And you have really good growth! :D

spidermom
March 30th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Oh yes - I forgot to say; it definitely is waist length, which was a huge milestone to me, so I assume it is for you too. Congratulations! If your ends aren't dried out and splitting, I think you would do well to wait another month or so before you trim 1/2 inch. That way you won't lose waist length. The first time I got to waist length, I went in for a 1/2 inch trim but started yakking away about wanting to get the layers evened up, so she trimmed 2 inches to help me with my layers problem. I should have kept my mouth shut! It took me probably another 5 months to get back to waist length.

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'd first off decide what's more important to you, waistlength, or loosing the layers. Personally i think that your hair looks lovely and wouldn't trim yet. I'd let it grow another half an inch or so then trim so that you can keep your hair at or past waistlength. But if they are really bothering you and you desperately want to get rid of the layers then if you trim no more than half an inch then you'll be back to waist in a month or so anyway which isn't really very long to wait.

Hmmnnn i'm not much help am i! Ok, personally i rekon wait a bit longer.....but ultimately it's you who has to be happy with your hair.
hmmm so thats one more vote for waiting... so you think it looks ok...

Looks like waist to me, and I cannot believe the growth you've had since august of last year, Amazing. Do you grow an inch a month?
lol... during the 7 months sinced ive joined lhc ive gone from just past shoulder to waist... ive trimmed about 2 inches during that time... im pretty sure it averages out to somewhere close to an inch a month but for the first few months that i was taking natrol skin hair and nails vitamins i got more than an inch a month.. my growth slows down in the winter too.... im hoping to get quick growth when summer rolls around... if my current growth rate keeps at a steady pace i could be hip this august.... wouldnt that be wonderful going from just past shoulder to hip in one year... i dont really like to think about that though because if it doesnt happen i dont want to be dissapointed...

It does look like waist. And you have really good growth! :D
thanks! its nice that i was able to reach this goal in 7 months instead of the year that i thought it was going to take me!

Oh yes - I forgot to say; it definitely is waist length, which was a huge milestone to me, so I assume it is for you too. Congratulations! If your ends aren't dried out and splitting, I think you would do well to wait another month or so before you trim 1/2 inch. That way you won't lose waist length. The first time I got to waist length, I went in for a 1/2 inch trim but started yakking away about wanting to get the layers evened up, so she trimmed 2 inches to help me with my layers problem. I should have kept my mouth shut! It took me probably another 5 months to get back to waist length.
thanks!
my ends are severely damaged from my manic panic neon pink hair days... the ends arent dry thanks to camellia oil (miracle oil i swear)... i did a S&D recently and lost alot of my end thickness because 40% were split... i left alot of splits because i didnt want to lose too much hair and i knew that over the next few months i was going to chop off half an inch to a full inch depending on how fast the hair was growing..... i dont go to hairdressers since my short cut that made me want to grow out my hair... (see album it should give you a good laugh) my poor ends have been bleached like 5 or 6 times... i never just did the roots.. over the course of time im going to have to cut off between 6 and 8 inches... the henna has helped though

eadwine
March 31st, 2008, 12:51 PM
It's brushing it though, you are holding your hands a wee high I think ;)

But a month or so and you WILL be there. After that you can start trims if you like if you want to keep waist.

emeraldjoy
March 31st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Your hair looks fantastic. I can't wait until I have to debate over whether I have reached my waist.

Urchin
March 31st, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'll put in a vote for waiting a bit before the trim. If your ends are in good condition, you might as well keep them unless they really bother you. I think they look okay. Your hair is beautiful. Wait until you're a bit past waist to trim, in my opinion

Also, your growth rate is ridiculous. Mine is pretty fast, but wow!

squiggyflop
March 31st, 2008, 05:17 PM
It's brushing it though, you are holding your hands a wee high I think ;)

But a month or so and you WILL be there. After that you can start trims if you like if you want to keep waist.
my ribs are deformed which is why i hold my hands high... that really is where my waist is... (waist is the smallest part right) if you look at my hands the part where the web of my hands are is waist and the bottom part of my hands is where my hip bones start... my body is just oddly shaped... not as oddly shaped as it was before my surgery... but still disportionate (cant spell) my spine still has a curve which makes it shorter... ive got maybe less than 3 inches to hip because of the deformed spine... that reminds me i should take a pic of my scars and post it in my journal because covering them was one of my reasons for wanting long hair...
i hate my waves right now because im well past waist while wet... grr it depends on how wavy they want to be that day i guess...

nissamholtz
March 31st, 2008, 09:20 PM
It seems like waist to me. A small trim never hurts, and won't be long before you're back at the same length again.

Carina
March 31st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Congratulations on reaching waist:wethree::cheer::happydance::thumbsup:!!!!You have very beautiful hair and I really like your color too.

eadwine
March 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
my ribs are deformed which is why i hold my hands high... that really is where my waist is... (waist is the smallest part right) if you look at my hands the part where the web of my hands are is waist and the bottom part of my hands is where my hip bones start... my body is just oddly shaped... not as oddly shaped as it was before my surgery... but still disportionate (cant spell) my spine still has a curve which makes it shorter... ive got maybe less than 3 inches to hip because of the deformed spine... that reminds me i should take a pic of my scars and post it in my journal because covering them was one of my reasons for wanting long hair...
i hate my waves right now because im well past waist while wet... grr it depends on how wavy they want to be that day i guess...

Ah that explains it :) Thanks! I think your waves are beautiful.

karenpetal
March 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM
hey squiggyflop - you look to be lucky waist length - but u got to do what u got to do to keep your hair healthy - about 1/2 to 3/4 inch should get u in good shape
Luck

Angellen
April 1st, 2008, 01:07 AM
To be perfectly honest, it doesn't look like waist to me. It looks about a half inch to 3/4inch away, so you'd be solidly there in a couple weeks, I'm sure. Because of how much your hair scrunches up (you can REALLY tell in that picture) it's obvious that you're probably an inch or two past waist when wet, but dry...well, I'm not seeing it. Given your growth rate I wouldn't stress, though.

As to the trimming question: I've got a similar problem, but because my hair is straighter it's more obvious. I haven't done any real trims, just a couple millimeters here and there when I feel up to it. Oil really helps mine because they are so dry from being damaged, and I don't want to really cut off a couple month's growth to get rid of it, so little dusting works for me. If you're debating, you might give it a go. :)

EDIT: I just remembered that your hair isn't fond of oils. Hm. I use coconut primarily on my ends, and it's worked wonders, but if basic oils don't work for you...maybe frequent misting? Not sure, sorry...

seabear
April 1st, 2008, 04:24 AM
At the rate your hair grows, even if you trim it a bit now, you'll be right back at waist in no time at all!

Personally, though, I think the ends look just fine. The layering gives your hair a bit of bounce and waviness.

Curlsgirl
April 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
I vote waist!!! What the heck! Close enough! :cheese:

Flaxen
April 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM
We don't have quite all of our announcements back since the upgrade, so I just want to remind everyone of the posting standards as stated in the guidelines:

...standard rules for written English apply, and “kewl” talk or “txt” speak is not permitted. For our English as a Second Language members, their best efforts at standard English are appreciated.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :flowers:

*BelievingAgain
April 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Squiggyflop, is it just me or does your hair grow like a weed??!?
Lol I don't mean it looks like a weed, it looks absolutely wonderful (I really like your red) but comparing your two signature pictures, it seems you must have a very high growth rate! You lucky girl.

A trim might be a great idea if you want to thicken up your ends, and you'd be amazed at how quickly that thickened length will creep down your back, further than it is measuring at already. Hope you come to a happy decision.

Jess :flower:

silvergirl
April 1st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Looks like waist to me, I can't wait to get there :) Congratulations.

squiggyflop
April 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
We don't have quite all of our announcements back since the upgrade, so I just want to remind everyone of the posting standards as stated in the guidelines:

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :flowers:
i cant find the post you are talking about. if its one of mine i didnt mean to..

Xandergrammy
April 1st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Congratulations on reaching waist!!

squiggyflop
April 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Congratulations on reaching waist!!
thanks!:cheese:

Blueneko
April 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
That is waist! WOOHOO!!!

Don't cut it!

But if you must, a tiny dusting! Dust only! I say this daily to the short-hairs at work. :)

jojo
April 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
definitely waist in my opinion, its beautiful, its bouncy looking and i wish it was on my head!!

Congratulations! I have a shoulder deformity and it makes certain goals hard to measure but no mistaking, you've reach another goal girl! way to grow!!!

squiggyflop
April 2nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
That is waist! WOOHOO!!!

Don't cut it!

But if you must, a tiny dusting! Dust only! I say this daily to the short-hairs at work. :)
ive decided to wait a while before i trim... im only going to trim my last layer half an inch... but i think im going to wait until i can get a little more growth... i hope i can get some growth this month i dont think i got much last month which is why ive decided to do the x-days challenge to keep my ends protected... im going for a week.......

definitely waist in my opinion, its beautiful, its bouncy looking and i wish it was on my head!!

Congratulations! I have a shoulder deformity and it makes certain goals hard to measure but no mistaking, you've reach another goal girl! way to grow!!!
my right shoulder is higher than the left so i never could figure out when i hit APL... my waves are quite bouncy when they want to be... but i hate how the ends flip up.... when i had short bangs the bangs would flip up too... when my hair is cut with a razor i look like farrah fawset... thanks to henna my hair isnt quite as wavy...

Coral
April 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'm glad you posted that. I have layers and its nice to see what I can possibly expect my hair to look like when it gets a bit (ok, a lot) longer.

Your hair is beautiful and congrats on getting it so long.