PDA

View Full Version : Show me your face framing layers

Kazazi
February 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM
After nearly a year at LHC, my hair is around collarbone length now and the layers I used to have in my chin length hair are almost all gone. I can comfortably put it all up, but I am starting to miss hair framing my face and I think my updos look a little too severe.

So I am considering cutting im some face framing layers but I could do with some help and especially pictures. I know many peeps on here don't like to show pictures of their faces, but I'd be very grateful if those of you who don't mind and do have face framing layers could post a few shots on this thread. Ideally both of your hair down and up... :)

This would be a tremendous help both in case I decide to self-cut and if I go to the hairdresser, since the pictures I have been able to find online often show such highly styled heads, I find it hard to judge how it would look, or how feasible it would be, with my wash and air-dry, no products approach, lol!

I would also appreciate tips from those of you with face framing layers on how exactly you either cut and maintain them or how you communicate the look you have to your hairdresser.

To clarify, I am only talking about a few layers around the face to frame it more and to soften updos. The rest of my hair can all stay one length and I don't want bangs.

Looking forward to many pics, hopefully, and thank you very much in advance.

misstwist
February 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Okay, here's what I did.

Part your hair in the center. Sight off the inside of your eyebrows and bring your fingers up to your hairline. Bring them together at a point about one inch into your hairline. You have just created a tiny triangle of hair. Snip that wherever you want and you have a charming face-framing layer without sacrificing much thickness for the rest of your hair. Or at least that's how it worked for me.

I keep it about chin length. It gives me just a wisp of hair down around my face when I've got it up.

The thing I've always hated most about face-framing layers is how they steal away thickness and make my up-dos messy. This doesn't.

kdaniels8811
February 24th, 2009, 08:08 PM
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! I am going to try this now.. I have growing out bangs but need a little more face framing hair when pulling my hair back all the time.

csm--carla
February 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Okay, here's what I did.

Part your hair in the center. Sight off the inside of your eyebrows and bring your fingers up to your hairline. Bring them together at a point about one inch into your hairline. You have just created a tiny triangle of hair. Snip that wherever you want and you have a charming face-framing layer without sacrificing much thickness for the rest of your hair. Or at least that's how it worked for me.

I keep it about chin length. It gives me just a wisp of hair down around my face when I've got it up.

The thing I've always hated most about face-framing layers is how they steal away thickness and make my up-dos messy. This doesn't.

Great advice misstwist!! You put that into words so beautifully!!!
:cheese::cheese:

If you're more of a visual learner: Here's a great little you tube clip that can show you how to do just this! Your face framing fringes will be longer of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGP3Ct1US94
I was able to cut myself some great bangs after watching this.

Carla

Kazazi
February 25th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Okay, here's what I did.

Thank you so much for these instructions, misstwist! Can I just clarify something as I am not a native speaker: what exactly do you mean by "sight off the inside of your eyebrows"? Do you mean you place your fingers perpendicular to the inside of your eyebrows and then effectively section the hair so the triangular part goes from inside-of-left-eyebrow to point-on-central-part-that-sits-about-an-inch-away-from-the-hairline to inside-of-right-eyebrow?

Also, when you then cut, do you just cut straight across or in any different way?

I have looked at some of the video instructions on youtube, but I am still a bit confused, lol!

misstwist
February 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM
That is exactly what I mean. I use the inside of my eyebrows as a reference point because they don't move and because that means I don't create a very large section. I just cut straight across because that isn't a large enough section to create a heavy line.

Hope that helps.

misstwist
February 25th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I watched the video and she is doing just as I described, only she uses the arches of her eyebrows as guidelines and cuts much shorter for bangs.

The way I described ends up looking much more like her longer side pieces, but I don't slide the scissors down them in the same way. I just cut them off straight and they fall to either side of the part and around my face just fine.

Kazazi
February 27th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Thank you so much for clarifying this misstwist. I think I know exactly what to do now and will hopefully try this over the weekend and post some pix on here. Cheers!

Carolyn
February 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM
If you're more of a visual learner: Here's a great little you tube clip that can show you how to do just this! Your face framing fringes will be longer of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGP3Ct1US94
I was able to cut myself some great bangs after watching this.

CarlaGreat video. I know a lot of LHC'ers wouldn't blow dry or straighten but it's still a good visual for technique. I cracked up when she commented about hating how her hair gets in her lipgloss :laugh: Hair in lipgloss is one of my biggest issues with face framing layers.

RetroKitten
February 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Kazazi,

I know this problem very well, although my hair is rather short at the moment, but in a few months I will have to face the same decision as you. From past experience I know that I look really odd with long hair all the same length. Can't do without layers, at the same time they are a hassle to deal with when you are making a hair - do. When I got my hair cut in the past they usually layered the whole front like this (http://i40.tinypic.com/da2pg.jpg) (not me) which made it almost impossible for me to do anything else with my hair than leave it down. I _think_ 1-3 layers somewhere between forehead and chin might look nice AND be easy to incorporate into styles that are popular among the longhair community.

Looking forward to see the results of your self - trimming & I hope some other members will post pics!!!

mugglemomof3
March 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
This was last month, when I had almost waist-length hair. I have since chopped off like 5 inches JUST TO GET RID OF THESE FACE-FRAMING LAYERS. There was just too huge of a gap between these and the back of my hair. I hated it. Well, I did need to get rid of a year's worth of damage from coloring my hair with chemicals. That was another reason I chopped. But the main reason was these stupid layers. Did I mention that I hated them?

Anyway, here they are
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z29/mugglemomof3/hair/mugglemomfacelayers.jpg

Kazazi
March 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
See, RetroKitten and mugglemomof3, I think both your pictures look very lovely around the face. But I hear what you are saying about how annoying these kind of layers can be for many updos and if the rest of your hair is so long that the gap really bothers you.

I did cut a tiny bit of my hair to about chin length following the bangs instruction as suggested by misstwist and in the videos and I am reasonably happy with it. But I am glad I only did a little bit because already it is annoying me that those strands get in my face and are often neither here nor there - ie not in the updo but no substantial enough to create much of a face frame.

I may cut off more in the future but for now I will leave it until I feel sure. Haven't got any really good pix yet, but I shall revisit this thread and post some as soon as I do!

Thanks again for all the advice so far :)