PDA

View Full Version : Silly n00b question.

cecilyhayes
February 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hey everyone, I was just wondering something. If you blow dry your hair and use a blow dryer that has a cool setting, does it cause less damage to your hair? I let my hair air dry about 98% of the time probably, but still I'd like to know.

lora410
February 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Any constant use of air will cause damage; alabeit not as fast as heat. The few times I tried blowdrying even on cool my hair snarled up bad.

WaimeaWahine
February 24th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Hey everyone, I was just wondering something. If you blow dry your hair and use a blow dryer that has a cool setting, does it cause less damage to your hair? I let my hair air dry about 98% of the time probably, but still I'd like to know.

My understanding is that heat is what damages hair because it extracts the moisture. Cold drying, with a special hair dryer, IMO would cause little damage. Some finer and thinner hair really doesn't like being tossed around at all.

Rest assured though that everyone here does at least 1 bad thing 2% of the time and they still have great hair. :laugh:

SweetPea88
February 24th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I think blowdrying with a cool setting would cause wayyy less damage than blowdrying on a hot or warm setting. Could you also switch the speed to low to cause less damage?

Katze
February 24th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I occasionally blowdry my hair on low, with the nozzle held a distance away from my head, and focussing on ears and scalp. It is very cold here, and I usually wash my hair after swimming, so going out with a wet head would mean I'd be cold and get earaches.

Honestly I don't think it is that bad to lightly, quickly boost your hair's drying time once in a while, as long as you are gentle and careful. Now, what I used to do in the 80s - brush straight and blowdry, blowdry every day, blowdry then crimp *shudder* - that's a very different story!

JamieLeigh
February 24th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I thought of that too, so I tried to wean myself to the cooler-dry instead of the heat at first. It made my hair amazingly frizzy and annoyingly tangly...so I just put the dryer down completely. I haven't regretted it. :)