PDA

View Full Version : Help!

CaraLynn
February 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
My sister is getting married next Saturday, and I'm her maid of honor. All the other bridesmaids have short hair so she said to find a hairstyle that her stylist could do. Now last time I let a hairdresser get their hands on my hair it turned out pretty sadistic, so I'm nervous. But all that aside..
What hairstyle would y'all recommend that would be wedding appropriate, but not damage my hair any?
My hair is a few inches from waist, wavy, medium thickness by the way..
thanks!

HairColoredHair
February 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Maybe Milkmaid braids with flowers? Maybe add a bun in the middle for more length?

(M.M. braids are two braids crossed at the nape of your neck.)

gdimoonbeam
February 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
My experience is that stylist want to try to be artsy and creative. I think a classic up-do would be beautiful LHC should be full of nice sophisticated buns/up-dos.

OhioLisa
February 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
You don't want anything too elaborate, in my opinion, since it is her day, not yours. I think a simple bun with a pretty accessory would suffice.

Lamb
February 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
A low and smooth nape bun (flapper bun) covering your ears, with some flowers would look really elegant.

CaraLynn
February 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions you guys!

:grouphug:

rapunzhell13
February 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
I don't think it's just the hairstyle itself you need to worry about in terms of damage, it's how the hairdresser will handle your hair. Could you do your own hair? Just don't let them backcomb or anything like that! :run:

Deborah
February 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
If you can do a bun yourself, tell her no thanks, you don't need her stylist, and will fix your own hair.

If she insists, then just be firm with the stylist, and tell her you want a pretty bun, no back-combing, no spray, or no whatever else you don't like. If you are assertive, she will probably try to work with you. Just gently but firmly let her know that YOU are in charge of your hair, not her. Good luck! :)

Heavenly Locks
February 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
What about something like this? :)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1079166478/Bridal+Bun+-+

Katze
February 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I think French twists look particularly elegant, and they are so easy to do!

Because I am planning my own wedding in July I have similar questions - I do NOT want to go to a salon! :D So I am getting a long haired friend to help me learn some 'dos beforehand, and will just do my own hair.

SimplyLonghair
February 24th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I would go with the simple bun like a braided bun. Like this. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=107)
It would be very nice, and easy, but look elegant but not upstage the bride. And no back combing.:D

Tressie
February 24th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I agree with others who've said you'd best style your hair yourself! A french twist will look elegant and harmonize with the short-haired members of the wedding party. If everyone is wearing flowers, go with that, if not........amish hair pins, or discreet combs, bobby pins.

I have nothing against hair stylists, but they do tend to rip combs through the hair, and I think you will be sitting in that chair cringing and worrying about the damage to your beautiful length, even if you are able to nix the back combing!

herbgurl82
February 27th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Would Hypnotica's Romantic French Twist (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8474&highlight=hypnotica+romantic+french+twist) work? If you did a rope braid instead of the regular braid it might look really elegant. Hope that helps!

Carolyn
February 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I agree with the others who said do it yourself if you can. Talk to the bride and ask if she is OK with you doing your hair yourself. I'd go for something sleek and elegant but simple and use a pretty hair toy.