PDA

View Full Version : applying coconut oil?

AmyJorgensen
February 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Ok, I heard so many positive things about coconut oil that I went and bought some. I got organic coconut oil and I can tell you that it is solid at room temperature. So, I put it on by rubbing my fingers on top of the (hardened) oil and then smearing it into the end of my braided hair and then putting a sock over the whole mess overnight. So...isn't there some more efficient way to do it?

ratgirldjh
February 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
i just grab out a chunk and let it melt in my hand and then apply it. but you could put the whole jar in the sink (with the top on tight) of warm water and wait for it to melt first - or just scoop some out and put it in a little bowl and sit in in warm water - don't microwave it - it might change the molecular structure or kill something good in the VCO

AmyJorgensen
February 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the tips.

kwaniesiam
February 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Scooping some solid, rubbing to melt it, and dabbing it on your ends is about as efficient as it gets. Maybe you used too much, which would account for the mess? I just barely a fingernail full at most, then rub any extras in to my hands since its a great skin moisturizer as well.

Anje
February 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I just scoop/scrape (depending how cold the bathroom is) some up with my fingernail, put it on my palms, and rub them together to melt it.

I also use it on my face and body if I have extra, or just want the moisture.

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
I use about a finger nails worth for after the shower. Scoop it or dig it out, your hands with melt it fast. Just make sure it's melted all the way (if you take a lot) because the other day i took to much and it didn't melt all the way and i have little chunks in my hair. Not cute.

SweetPea88
February 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Yep, I'd have to agree and say that's about as efficient as it goes. Just rub or scrape off a tiny bit, warm with your palms, and spread. Magic stuff, that coconut oil. :)

Heidi_234
February 24th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I hate when stuff gets under my nails, so I just put pressure on the solid surface with my fingers for few seconds, and it starts to melt so I can scrape a chunk.
Make sure you melt it completely before applying, or you'll get white chunks in your hair. I also second the palm suggestion, it's much better than melting in your fingers (as it get stuck between the fingers and refuses to melt). Scoop some coconut oil with your fingers and smear it over the palm of your other hand, then rub both palms against each other until it melts.
Coconut oil is my favorite everyday oil, so I hope you'll make it work for you just as well. :flower:

Queenie
February 24th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I've found that rubbing a LOT to really heat it up makes the difference for me. Then I smooth my hands over my length. I don't need much, a little bit really goes a long way, my hair likes it best like that.
I've used refined (liquid) coconut oil in the past but that didn't do nearly as much as the real stuff!